Best Brakes for the money?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best Brakes for the money?
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 27, 2014 at 14:31 Quote
hey guys and girls this post may be supposed to be in another forum but i wanted to get opinions from DH riders only... i have hayes 9 brakes on my bike and it could be due to the fact that theyre just getting old but there is tons of dead movement in the levers before the brakes actually start to clamp. ive had them serviced and the pads are still in good shape. i have also adjusted them all the way so that they should clamp right away but they still dont clamp until im almost touching the lever to the handlebars.

this being said ive decided to change my brake system. ive looked at avid juicys and elixirs but there are a lot of pros and cons and also a lot of mixed reviews.

so my question is what would be the best system in your opinions. im looking mainly at price, stopping power, as well as how easy are they to find parts for ie pads and such.

anything will help.

Posted: May 27, 2014 at 19:37 Quote
I have shimano Zee's on my V 10. I love them. Like all shimano brakes they have incredible stopping power but they are more budget friendly. They also seem to be pretty low maintanece. So if you want a powerful reliable set of DH brakes that won't brake the bank, get ZEE'S.

Posted: May 27, 2014 at 19:54 Quote
I don't like avid brakes never had a set that were consistent.
I love my saints. I'd go with shimano
Zero are apparently just as powerful/modulate the sake just not tool less adjustment and far cheeper

Posted: May 27, 2014 at 21:20 Quote
I hear lots of bad things about avid and the braking...

Is it because of the grab that its sometimes good and sometimes not if so I hate that at times but I don't use brakes really anyways unless super tech rocky stuff you can't bomb through.

Posted: May 27, 2014 at 21:48 Quote
Pretty much. I find they pump up on me and I don't like the lever feel (total preference thing)
They are a pain in the ass to bled and just overall not a fan.
Had juicy5/7 elixir 7 and then switched to shimano friends with codes seem to do nothing but bled them and bled them.

I was up in the air over shimano / hope but based in availability I went with shimano and am happy

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 1:08 Quote
Iv been running avid brakes since day one. Not a single problem. I admit they do take more effort and energy to bleed but once done right, no issues since. I currently have XO Trails on 2 bikes and Codes on another...all of which have been faultless.

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 1:14 Quote
Deshi wrote:
Iv been running avid brakes since day one. Not a single problem. I admit they do take more effort and energy to bleed but once done right, no issues since. I currently have XO Trails on 2 bikes and Codes on another...all of which have been faultless.
I hear lots of bad things about them from online to people when I go riding...

Lots of people like there brakes touchy you could say I can even say I don't like em much but I gotta make due with what I got if I had the cash i'd get a set of Hopes...

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 2:15 Quote
GiraffeInPurple wrote:
Deshi wrote:
I hear lots of bad things about them from online to people when I go riding...

Lots of people like there brakes touchy you could say I can even say I don't like em much but I gotta make due with what I got if I had the cash i'd get a set of Hopes...

This is strictly my opinion but I feel most of Avid's bad wrap is based off of incompetent mechanics.

I personally prefer the feel of Avid over all other brakes. The smooth fluid lever throw, longer lever, and better ergonomics for my fingers.

Again, this is all personal preference. To each their own.

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 2:19 Quote
Deshi wrote:

I also like avid. I've had elixir 7, elixir cr and now run code r's, which are brilliant!! Loads of modulating power! I had Zee's for a while and didn't get on with them at all. The rear was a pig to bleed. I ended up taking it to my lbs and they had Loadsa trouble also. The pad retention pin and seating is a pain as well. Post 2012 avids are much more reliable. I also find the elixir bleed the best! Unless you are changing out the brake fluid, you can just do a speed bleed which takes about 5 mins. Avids are fully serviceable and much better looking imo.

Posted: May 29, 2014 at 22:00 Quote
Have you looked at Hayes primes? I bought a set a few more months ago with new rotors. I go the prime pros whith ti hardware, reach adjust and pad contact adjust. $280 for the whole setup. I really enjoy them a lot. More power then you'll ever need and they feel very good. Easy to service, uses actual brake fluid (so you can get it anywhere), affordable and parts are everywhere. I'm a pretty big dude and one finger braking is no issue. Shimano does make good stuff, but good luck trying to fix your caliper if something goes wrong. They are disposible so to speek.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2014 at 18:06 Quote
I work at a shop (6 months now) and I also own Avids, Elixrs, Juicy's & Codes.

I've have very little issue with my Avids: Juicy's squeal at times, Elixrs have been "Ok," but not as good as the J7's and my CODE (2008's) have been great until this winter where (just from sitting) they blew seals and leaked all over the place.

That said, I also own Shimano SLX and XT's and won't be changing any time soon.

As for the "shop" mechanic can't work on them comment, it's simply not true. Avid (by the bleed process alone) IE: degassing shows that the brakes are super sensitive to air, moisture and maintenance.

When you work for a shop and see that literally 90% (yes, 90%) of all brakes needing repairs for "bad" feel, failure to working properly, etc are Avids, it simply becomes tiring! Even Avid knows this. Which is why they sent a shop a whole whopping "FREE" chain for every brake they replace. Yeah, they compensate shops with a $17 chain for spending 2-4 hours on a bike and dealing with angry customers because their shit doesn't work right, ever.

I've been working on cars, motorcycles, and bikes for 30+ years and have never seen such a consistent failure of single line-up of products, period.

Again, mine seems to work "ok," but then again, I take care of my crap and most people don't. I store my bikes in my house, not all people do. Oddly enough, the CODEs were fine until they spent 4 months store on the DH bike for the winter and failed.

My 12 year old Hayes on the bike right next to them are still working great.

Sorry for the rant: At the end of the day, All Shimano = consistent performance (SLX & ZEE: great bang for $) XT & Saints are sweet, but $$), Formula & Magura a little overrated and feel like Shimano Deore (IMO), HOPE: sweet, but can take a little to set up, Avid: highest risk of failure.

Posted: May 31, 2014 at 21:40 Quote
Having worked in the industry for 14 years now, I still stand behind my earlier comment about a lot of mechanics not knowing how to work on these brakes. Iv been running avid brakes...j5, j7, elixir 1, elixir cr, xo trails, and codes and have not had a single failure to date. Avid has also suggested against the degassing process of their bleed.

Shimano makes a good brake as well but the lack of serviceability, number of xt warranties iv submitted in the last 18 months, and the feel keeps me from owning them.

Formula and magura have horrible ergonomics and feel in my opinion.

Hope is by far the best looking brake on the market but suffer from the same issues as formula and magura.

Brakes are strictly personal preference. Everyone you ask will have their own opinion and will be adament about it.

Posted: May 31, 2014 at 21:56 Quote
I think Avid have a bad rep because of their lower end products - which may be more affordable but are not as reliable as shimanos 'budget' products such as the slx and zee series.

Posted: Jun 2, 2014 at 8:20 Quote
I run hayes stroker aces...not alot of modulation to them but they stop hard...they can be gound used in great shape dirt cheap...I also was running hfx mags and had similar problems...I love these brakes though

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011186
Mobile Version of Website