Best Brakes for the money?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best Brakes for the money?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 2, 2014 at 22:28 Quote
Deshi wrote:

Formula and magura have horrible ergonomics and feel in my opinion.

which apparently, isn't worth much. I'm a man sized 6' rider. had no problem with Formula The One and RO. just be sure your shop knows what they're doing with bleeding. super powerful, loads of modulation. durability and well designed. loads of power, zero fade on massive big mountain descents or long bike park days. full range of parts & spares available

Posted: Jun 2, 2014 at 23:34 Quote
gnarbar wrote:
Deshi wrote:

Formula and magura have horrible ergonomics and feel in my opinion.

which apparently, isn't worth much. I'm a man sized 6' rider. had no problem with Formula The One and RO. just be sure your shop knows what they're doing with bleeding. super powerful, loads of modulation. durability and well designed. loads of power, zero fade on massive big mountain descents or long bike park days. full range of parts & spares available

We all have our preference. Hence why I said my opinion. I do not like the lever feel nor the overall ergonomics of the brake. Not once did I say they had no modulation or no power. They are good brakes but to me, feel horrible.

I'm glad you like them and they work for you. Same as I'm glad avid work for me.

Posted: Jun 2, 2014 at 23:49 Quote
Zees. A full set is $250 USD. You wont find better (more reliable or powerful) DH brakes for that money.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 8:27 Quote
ButtersNZ wrote:
Zees. A full set is $250 USD. You wont find better (more reliable or powerful) DH brakes for that money.

$250 ? With rotors? Possible I suppose. No on the fly adjustments though. And they are heavier (I think) then the Hayes primes. Hayes has a 5 year leak free warranty too and , not to mention, they are the largest brake manufacturer and innovators of the modern bike disk brake as we know it. Zee are great, no doubt, I firmly believe they aren't the best bang for the buck though.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 11:00 Quote
Hey guys, nice and easy one.....

Sram XO or Elixir 9 trails?

I have a choice but am pretty split on the option!

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 12:57 Quote
brassinne wrote:
ButtersNZ wrote:

$250 ? With rotors? Possible I suppose. No on the fly adjustments though. And they are heavier (I think) then the Hayes primes. Hayes has a 5 year leak free warranty too and , not to mention, they are the largest brake manufacturer and innovators of the modern bike disk brake as we know it. Zee are great, no doubt, I firmly believe they aren't the best bang for the buck though.

Never heard of them, they review really well! Looks like they're in the same camp/often compared with XT's.

The $250 is on CRC, without rotors for Zee's. I think if you're looking to do DH and weigh as much as me (190 lb + bike), you'd want something powerful like a four piston caliper.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 16:58 Quote
ButtersNZ wrote:
brassinne wrote:
ButtersNZ wrote:

Never heard of them, they review really well! Looks like they're in the same camp/often compared with XT's.

The $250 is on CRC, without rotors for Zee's. I think if you're looking to do DH and weigh as much as me (190 lb + bike), you'd want something powerful like a four piston caliper.

You've never heard of Hayes? Or the Primes? The Primes are Hayes's do it all brakes. They're very light for their size (26mm pistons), and plenty powerful. They claim 23% more power than their 4 piston ace's, which are themselves powerful brakes. I'm 220 lbs, naked. Add some shoes, socks, shirt, shorts, helmet, gloves, backpack (when used) and sometimes even underwear. Well, you get the picture. So, let's say 240lbs. Then 42kbs for the bike. No lack of power from the Hayes brakes. Even with 180mm rear rotor and 203mm up front. I was somewhat sceptical at first, thinking they may no be strong enough. But, I'm totally stoked on their performance. So much so, that I laugh internally when I see people that spend $600 + on their brakes just because they have to have what gee Atherton has or Aaron gwin. Without actually riding different brakes and testing them for their self. I've tried the newer saints. And I honestly don't like the lever at all, and the fact that they aren't easily rebuildable if needed. If money was no issue, I'd go with hopes. All that being said, I am a equally a huge fan of Hayes and Magura, and would like to try their new mt7 dh brakes.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 17:44 Quote
Good to know!

I hadn't heard of Primes. TBH I think Hayes still suffer from a bad rep associated with a lot of the earlier brakes. I still see Hayes Nines on old DH bikes doing their thing, but Hayes Soles nearly killed me (and according to mtbr reviews, a few other people haha).

I must say the Primes are a nice looking brake, and Comp's are $180 with rotors F and R. If I had $200 to spend on new brakes I'd now give them a try.
http://www.merlincycles.com/hayes-prime-comp-disc-brake-set-front-rear-59718.html

I have M820 Saints on my Glory 1. Going back in time, I had 2013 Elixer 7's before that, 2012 SLX's, 2011 Juicy 3's, old Tektro Auriga Comps and Hayes Sole on my XC bike. They've all done their job reasonably (aside from the Hayes bursting a seal during a steep section), but having now arrived at the Saints I have what I consider to be faultless performance. Great modulation and endless power even when wet, quiet, easy to bleed as well (with the funnel).

The Hope range gives me a hard on, looks wise. I've never used them though. Dream bike stuff.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 18:41 Quote
ButtersNZ wrote:
Good to know!

I hadn't heard of Primes. TBH I think Hayes still suffer from a bad rep associated with a lot of the earlier brakes. I still see Hayes Nines on old DH bikes doing their thing, but Hayes Soles nearly killed me (and according to mtbr reviews, a few other people haha).

I must say the Primes are a nice looking brake, and Comp's are $180 with rotors F and R. If I had $200 to spend on new brakes I'd now give them a try.
http://www.merlincycles.com/hayes-prime-comp-disc-brake-set-front-rear-59718.html

I have M820 Saints on my Glory 1. Going back in time, I had 2013 Elixer 7's before that, 2012 SLX's, 2011 Juicy 3's, old Tektro Auriga Comps and Hayes Sole on my XC bike. They've all done their job reasonably (aside from the Hayes bursting a seal during a steep section), but having now arrived at the Saints I have what I consider to be faultless performance. Great modulation and endless power even when wet, quiet, easy to bleed as well (with the funnel).

The Hope range gives me a hard on, looks wise. I've never used them though. Dream bike stuff.

I think Hayes had a period where they focused in other things not bike related. They do after all supply brakes for Harley Davidson and caterpillar. Similar to marzocchi which got bought out by an automotive company that produces Monroe and rancho shock. I've never had any of their brakes fail. Nor have I used the soles either. The first set off Hayes I had (in 1999) where the mags. I used a set for 5 years without ever even bleeding them. Just changed pads when needed. Not one failure.

Posted: Jun 3, 2014 at 19:03 Quote
brassinne wrote:
ButtersNZ wrote:
Good to know!

I think Hayes had a period where they focused in other things not bike related. They do after all supply brakes for Harley Davidson and caterpillar. Similar to marzocchi which got bought out by an automotive company that produces Monroe and rancho shock. I've never had any of their brakes fail. Nor have I used the soles either. The first set off Hayes I had (in 1999) where the mags. I used a set for 5 years without ever even bleeding them. Just changed pads when needed. Not one failure.
Bled them and you will probsbly be evem more impressed-brake fluid degrades over time regardless of which brake it's in.......

Posted: Jun 4, 2014 at 17:49 Quote
rochedale-stp wrote:
Hey guys, nice and easy one.....

Sram XO or Elixir 9 trails?

I have a choice but am pretty split on the option!

Sram XO. My dads gambler has elixer 9 on it, and they seem to fade fairly fast. XO also has better stopping power.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016379
Mobile Version of Website