Coil shock on an enduro bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Coil shock on an enduro bike
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 27, 2014 at 19:15 Quote
I want to change my fox ctd shock to a CCDB coil for my tracer 2. They have the correct coil shock for my bike's travel, but I don't know If this change will benefit my bike's response going downhill. I mean, is a coil shock better tan an air shock for a enduro bike?

Posted: May 27, 2014 at 20:55 Quote
hecop wrote:
I want to change my fox ctd shock to a CCDB coil for my tracer 2. They have the correct coil shock for my bike's travel, but I don't know If this change will benefit my bike's response going downhill. I mean, is a coil shock better tan an air shock for a enduro bike?
Not really, the preferance for spring over air is that spring has better small bump compliance however they are heavier and don't have a pro-pedal option (sucks to climb with a coil shock), personally I would wait for the new Cane Creek DBinline shock. It is SO close to being as supple as the coil shock, has the pro-pedal option and is much lighter.

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 7:08 Quote
From what I know, our ambassador Cedric Gracia's DVO coil shock also has a block position.
It's a question of personal choice. If you love the unique feel a coil shock gives you. Why not adding 200 grams?. You can shave it everywhere else

Posted: May 28, 2014 at 16:19 Quote
Thanks for your comments. Yes I was thinking about Cedric's bike and some other enduro bikes that I've seen here in Mexico on downhill tracks. Another thing that happens is when I take some jumps in my bike the shock eats all its travel, so I tried to add more air but it feels terrible.

Posted: May 30, 2014 at 9:49 Quote
Have you considered the RS Monarch Plus,or the CCDB air with climb switch,think there kind of what your looking for as opposed to a coil for the riding your doing,

Posted: Jun 6, 2014 at 12:56 Quote
Yes I`ve considered that but they only fit in the short travel mode of my bike

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
hecop wrote:
Not really, the preferance for spring over air is that spring has better small bump compliance however they are heavier and don't have a pro-pedal option (sucks to climb with a coil shock), personally I would wait for the new Cane Creek DBinline shock. It is SO close to being as supple as the coil shock, has the pro-pedal option and is much lighter.

I disagree with this.

Given a coils very small bump sensitivity that means more traction on the ground climbing. That is the first thing I noticed when I got one for my heckler.

I would agree though with getting a shock with high and low speed compression.

Coils feel like endless travel do to great Midstroke support.

Next rant. The only airships I would get would be either ccdb or inline, they are just very good

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 at 19:44 Quote
[Quote="goldhecklerswag"]
Clarkeh wrote:
hecop wrote:

So, according to most of you, a coil shock (CCDB coil for example) would be the best option for my bike? As I told you the CCDBair doesn't fit well, only in the short travel position of my bike. Now Can you tell me how to give the correct sag with a coil shock, how can I know how many turns will give the sag as an air shock the air?

Posted: Jun 9, 2014 at 22:26 Quote
Measure i2i fully extended. Then sit on your bike and have friend measure i2i sagged. Want about 25-30percent. Look up spring calc for correct spring. Ccdb coil would be a great choice.... if u know how to adjust it.

Xfusion stuff is really good too just to add to ur options.

Posted: Jun 10, 2014 at 20:40 Quote
goldhecklerswag wrote:
Measure i2i fully extended. Then sit on your bike and have friend measure i2i sagged. Want about 25-30percent. Look up spring calc for correct spring. Ccdb coil would be a great choice.... if u know how to adjust it.

Xfusion stuff is really good too just to add to ur options.

Thank you I think I'm going to get the CCDB according to them I need the 350 spring, and thanks for the info about the sag and those things. Yesterday I read the instructions at cane creek page and it doesn't look to difficult as I supossed, I hope!

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 12:27 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
Have you considered the RS Monarch Plus,

not close to a coil spring

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 14:55 Quote
poah wrote:
jase111171 wrote:

No, I've never tried a RS Monarch Plus, but many people say never buy a Rock Shox shock only forks.
Is that true?

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 17:10 Quote
if i was going to stay air, i would go xfusion vector air hlr it is a great shock. the ccdb is over rated imo and suffers from oil flow issues on successive big hits leading to spiking.

a coil shock is almost always the better option performance wise if you don;t mind the weight penalty. if you see any air shocks description they are always saying "coil like" ride which goes to show what they are trying to emulate performance wise. if you ant to save half a pound take a dump before every ride and go coil

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 21:01 Quote
hecop wrote:
poah wrote:
jase111171 wrote:

No, I've never tried a RS Monarch Plus, but many people say never buy a Rock Shox shock only forks.
Is that true?
just got the CC Dbcoil,to replace my Monarch plus,will let you know how it compares,

Posted: Jun 27, 2014 at 10:18 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
hecop wrote:
poah wrote:

Is that true?
just got the CC Dbcoil,to replace my Monarch plus,will let you know how it compares,

Excellent! Now we all are going to know the real difference between air or coil.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012753
Mobile Version of Website