Who is still on a 26 and plans to stay that way?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Who is still on a 26 and plans to stay that way?
Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 22:21 Quote
I see it like this, the consumer is killing the 26 by not buying it, however, what has influenced said consumers decision? Yes, to an extent, the bike industry has played a roll in this. I don't believe its some nutty conspiracy to get rid of a wheel size but rather just a ploy to get consumers to buy a new bike by convincing us that our 26" is somehow less good, and to a point they would be correct.
Each wheel size has its merits. The smaller wheel is generally stronger, quicker and easier to handle while the larger wheel rolls over obstacles better and is faster. As mentioned , wheel size can play a roll in the bike size and what fits each person best. How big are you and what kind of riding will you do ultimately should decide which wheel size best fits you.
A year ago I chose a 29er hardtail after really thinking about it. Being older and not having ridden a mtb since the late 90's, I wasn't going to be doing any big air or drops. I'm also a poor bastard and this bike would be taking me to the trail head. I also wanted something light because it makes a big differance both going up hill and in overall handling. I also knew the trails I was to ride have big roots with lots of little drops and shelves. I needed the big wheel to get over this stuff. For my style my 29er has been everything I hoped. Especially for maintaining speed getting there and rolling over things that would have tossed me on a 26" wheeled bike.
Ride what suits you.

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 23:16 Quote
xmesssenger wrote:
I see it like this, the consumer is killing the 26 by not buying it, however, what has influenced said consumers decision? Yes, to an extent, the bike industry has played a roll in this. I don't believe its some nutty conspiracy to get rid of a wheel size but rather just a ploy to get consumers to buy a new bike by convincing us that our 26" is somehow less good, and to a point they would be correct.
Each wheel size has its merits. The smaller wheel is generally stronger, quicker and easier to handle while the larger wheel rolls over obstacles better and is faster. As mentioned , wheel size can play a roll in the bike size and what fits each person best. How big are you and what kind of riding will you do ultimately should decide which wheel size best fits you.
A year ago I chose a 29er hardtail after really thinking about it. Being older and not having ridden a mtb since the late 90's, I wasn't going to be doing any big air or drops. I'm also a poor bastard and this bike would be taking me to the trail head. I also wanted something light because it makes a big differance both going up hill and in overall handling. I also knew the trails I was to ride have big roots with lots of little drops and shelves. I needed the big wheel to get over this stuff. For my style my 29er has been everything I hoped. Especially for maintaining speed getting there and rolling over things that would have tossed me on a 26" wheeled bike.
Ride what suits you.

^This.
People are forgetting that a multitude of factors influencing the decisions of the industry and consumers. Also don't forget that the industry and consumers are interdependant; whatever the consumers are doing impacts on the industry, and whatever the industry does in turn impacts further on the consumers.

Personally I will stick with 26" for as long as I can, just because it's what I know and I do still prefer it, probably until I can afford to get a decent full suspension bike. However when that time comes to make the change I can honestly say I don't mind the change in wheel sizes. If you ride BMX and regularly swap from 20" to 26" wheels, is changing from 26" to 27.5" really a big deal?? Get seat time on the bike and soon enough it'll feel natural. Cost wise, I don't see a significant increase in 27.5" prices (parts and bikes) compared to 26" prices. In Australia you can get the Yeti SB-66 alloy full SLX build for just over $5000, or you can get a Giant Trance Advanced SX XO build for less than $900 more. Both of those are on my list of realistic dream bikes, but I reckon I would just spend a little extra and get the Giant, and probably less than 15% of that decision would be based on wheel size.

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 23:30 Quote
Also while I've got nothing against people moving from 26 to 27.5 or 29, I will hate you if you're a believer of building trails that are flowy, easy, smooth and non-technical, and it seems most of those people happen to be riding large wheels. If that's you, stop advocating for shit trails, stay off the good ones and become a roadie... If you're older and can't ride as hard as you used to then that's fine, but ride the trails that suit you or get sanctioned trails built. Don't change existing trails without permission and don't advocate for existing trails to be dumbed down just cos you and the guys from work find it a little hard.
That's why I still prefer 26"; it ain't often easy going! The only advantage I see going 27.5 is that I'll be able to go that little bit harder for longer. Mini-rant over.

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 at 5:12 Quote
ill be staying 26, i got a mtb to have fun on and thats all, if im slower then thats no worries as i dont race i use it for fun

Posted: Jun 30, 2014 at 10:10 Quote
I'm interested to know how many of you have heard about 22" wheel BMX.

It's a similar debate to the 650b/27.5 except that it's a situation where the industry has NOT got behind it in a major way (except for S&M). Faction Bikes out of the UK started it... then USA brands like Standard, InDust, did craft frames. More tentative steps in have been made, like FELT issuing the Catch 22 complete. BMX Plus has covered S&M's 22", but the cool mags (DIG BMX and Ride UK) have not touched it as far as I know....

The need for an older teen/adult sized BMX that still rides like a bmx (rather than a cruiser) is obvious to those with experience and open minds. Even aside from rider size, 22"s are just better than 20"s for the type of terrain and size of air/tricks that are being done as compared to bmx in the 70s and 80s.

Despite people talking about format demands being customer driven, they're also manufacturer-driven.
When the industry puts a stamp of approval and marketing on something, THEN people wants it. In the 22" bmx scene, it will continue to just be a simmering of "maverick" type riders who try it. The "herd" won't switch over until the shepherd runs them in another direction.

"22's go here":
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=4846987

These days I mostly ride a 26" mtb-DJ and a 26" 4x bike with 1X9 for everything. I have ridden 29"ers but they're not fun from the perspective of being able to bunnyhop, manual, etc. They do obviously go fast though. A recent 27.5" bike I test rode though, felt a lot more like the 4x/DJ setup I'm familiar with, and I feel like I could get the "best of both worlds" on one. I could imagine riding 27.5" Downhill too.

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 at 15:43 Quote
This year I bought two new bikes, both have 650b wheels. This made sense.

I had 26" bikes before and had no issues staying on 26", I even had a spare 26" wheelset.
I didn't want a 29er so 650b made sense. People go on about how there is no noticeable difference between 26 and 650b but I can feel 650b's better roll over (a positive), in terms of increased turn in and acceleration (a negative) there is very little difference to 26", I know that sounds like the marketing hype but is what I have found from riding them.

If 650b takes off I'm all sorted, if it dies I stick a 26" wheelset on with big tyres.

Fair enough if you don't want anything but 26" wheels but there are legitimate reasons for technology to change so get over it.

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 at 15:47 Quote
wheel size isnt "technology". it's a preference.(see syndicate&graves) if it were you would've bought a 29er.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2014 at 21:29 Quote
650b is as old as 26 .... Not new at all

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 14:58 Quote
Darknut wrote:
650b is as old as 26 .... Not new at all

Older ... it was some french dudes that invented it in the 50´s i think. They played around with wheelsize and their conclusion was that 650 B was the optimal wheelsize.

I now own a 650 B (Kona Process) and I am sad to say that this is the way to go - its faster. Way faster. And more fun. And does not feel "dead" while riding tech terrain.

Having that said I will still buy a 26 inch frame to repair my DH / FR bike. I have al the gear - 2 forks - wheels, tyres etc to make a fun 26 DH/FR bike for me and my needs. If my needs would hapen to be high level DH racing I would never make this investment. I would save the chash and go for a full 650 B DH bike.

What I am trying to say is: yes 650 B is great. No 26 will not go away. Asume that there were no 26 frames left. I would not buy a 650 B DH bike. That´s it. And there are a lot of guys like me. Garage full of stuff for 26 inch bikes. Why should I accept that industry is making my investments useless? Trying to force me in to buying something I did not ask for.

I rather use my money on a MX...450 Yamaha.... Not that this would be a sound and safe investment. But it would be sweet to give MTB industry the finger.........And well. I think Industry knows about this. It´s simple matematics. There are plenty- or more than so - 26 inch riders out there. If we ( I still think of my self as a 26 er) are forced in to some kind of corner to buy a bike that we don´t like to have due to lack of tyres, wheels etc we might say. Hello what´s the next thing? 28,3? F*ck off. I put my money in another sport. Dont think industry will let that happen.

I did not ask for 650 B or 29 - it just happend to be the only 2 size to buy in order to get an endurobike.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 17:18 Quote
Kona. End of thread.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 17:28 Quote
fullbug wrote:
Kona. End of thread.

Dat Process 167... Never thought I'd dream about owning a Kona

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 17:28 Quote
browntown40 wrote:
WHEEL WARS!!!

Yep! Let the fighting begin

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 17:45 Quote
nate35 wrote:
browntown40 wrote:
WHEEL WARS!!!

Yep! Let the fighting begin

No need for fighting. Kona.

Posted: Jul 19, 2014 at 21:41 Quote
Just ordered a '14 spesh enduro carbon 26 before they all sold outtup

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 8:17 Quote
If 26" is dying then how come I can't find any cheep wheels for sale? 26" frames are the only thing on sale right now. The parts department is still running full steam ahead.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023016
Mobile Version of Website