Who is still on a 26 and plans to stay that way?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Who is still on a 26 and plans to stay that way?
Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 9:08 Quote
Hi Guys,

The only problem is: Lots of bike companies (Giant for example) are making all their models 27.5.
Sadly, in my opinion, the industry is unintentionally killing the 26. I prefer this wheel size. I know the bikes around ATM will be around for a while, but slowly they will be filtered out. I mean the DH world cups are full of 27.5 this year, which according to some writers was not unexpected but the extent of the change across so many teams was a surprise. And other companies, such as Rose (I think) are putting bigger wheels in 2k15, on bikes that this year have 26.

I would plan to stay 26, because I like the play, but I feel especially in the UK (Where I am from), we will be urged or forced to go to bigger wheels. As bikes which frames I like, will come with bigger wheels.

But wheel companies still are not changing prices, they know there are still 26 riders who need new wheels. I am in the need of a new complete. I am planning on joining a team, and I won't be surprised if I am asked to ride 27.5

For now the 26 department is up and running but soon it will slow, but it will never vanish. In my opinion anyway.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Conor
Twitter: @ConorWhelanMTB

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 11:27 Quote
As I've only had me alpine rs 160 4 months it'll be along time before a could afford to spend £4300 so that's me out

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 13:33 Quote
I think PaulWebster's avatar sums it up really!

Posted: Jul 20, 2014 at 14:40 Quote
I built this thing up a couple months back.. No regrets...
Chromag stylus Troy Lee

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 4:29 Quote
EKrum wrote:
If 26" is dying then how come I can't find any cheep wheels for sale? 26" frames are the only thing on sale right now. The parts department is still running full steam ahead.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/wheels?f=4294957536,2258&sort=discount

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 7:28 Quote
THE-GUNT wrote:
I built this thing up a couple months back.. No regrets...
Chromag stylus Troy Lee

very cool.

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 10:34 Quote
I had 26" bikes for ages as did most people, now I have a 27.5, not sure what the big deal is. If you don't want a 27.5 then stick with your 26". End of.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 14:51 Quote
This bike has piqued my interest:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Kona-Process-167.jpg(Kona Process 167)

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 15:10 Quote
Look at the tiny shock mount bracket at the front eye.. Its almost too thin.

Otherwise, seems like a nice freeride pedaller.

O+
Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Look at the tiny shock mount bracket at the front eye.. Its almost too thin.

Otherwise, seems like a nice freeride pedaller.

It's actually thicker than it looks:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Kona-Process-167-Bike.jpg

Posted: Jul 21, 2014 at 15:32 Quote
OoO I see now. I thought it was a completely different design. Its still thin, but looks structurally sound. Kona is moving there way up in my book.

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:47 Quote
Toddy101 wrote:
I had 26" bikes for ages as did most people, now I have a 27.5, not sure what the big deal is. If you don't want a 27.5 then stick with your 26". End of.

change fatigue. BB, steerers, axles front and rear, bar diameter, 29in wheels, rear cassettes. some of us have to think long and hard to get the most out of our investment. when we finally make a decision maybe we get a bit attached and its not to much to ask for a decent life expectancy. but it seems every second month we're told our gear is obsolete, its not compatible with new products, and those it is compatible with are hard to source. We're expected to fork our more money to solve a problem that we didn't know existed, or self kit thats in perfect working order. so in some ways its a bit of a slap in the face and insults our intelligence.

Posted: Jul 24, 2014 at 6:32 Quote
welcome to planet earth where things change and are in flux 24/7. Hell, I like roll down windows but can appreciate power windows at a drive thru. Same lesson you try to teach kids about appreciating the moment. It ain't rocket science. It's a bike ride.

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 1:22 Quote
One thing that scares me about the 29" thing is that already, I feel that most cyclists have very little technical riding skill. I grew up riding a BMX, and the smaller wheels really teach you how to ride. 29" are for people who just want to ride over things. That's fine, but when things get tricky, they'll be stuck.

If younger riders start on 29", they'll never learn properly.

That aside, I can't imagine how dull riding a 29" is. Already, when I go from 24" to 26", the bike feels dead. 26" wheels accelerate really poorly. 24" are a lot of fun - not so small that they get caught in every rut, but the bikes are so chuckable.

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 2:47 Quote
All my bikes are on 26".... And will stay that way as long as possible.
I think we'll see a lot of new and good stuff in 26" in future. Maybe only smaller brands will offer "the real stuff" in 26".
At least you can ride allmost any 650b-frame with 26" as well.... sometimes even better.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.069454
Mobile Version of Website