Any one else ride a Gary Fisher?

PB Forum :: Gary Fisher
Any one else ride a Gary Fisher?
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 6:48 Quote
Had a 2+ Sugar. It broke so we welded up the rear triangle in hopes of extending the life. It didn't extend far...
Broken at brace on lower pivot chainstay

Then I went to a Roscoe 3. Now I am on a 2018 Remedy. The wife still has her Big Sur but she doesn't ride it much, prefers the Trek 29er hardtail...

O+
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 7:08 Quote
macross87 wrote:
Had a 2+ Sugar. It broke so we welded up the rear triangle in hopes of extending the life. It didn't extend far....

Considering the age and miles on my Sugar 3+, I frequently look for frame stress/cracks. None so far. Well, probably just jinxed it...

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
I have a2009 roscoe I cant bear to ride cause it is too short if anyone is interested , just sits in the garage , I don't expect it is worth much except to Gary Fisher enthusiasts

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 9:54 Quote
fredcook wrote:
macross87 wrote:
Had a 2+ Sugar. It broke so we welded up the rear triangle in hopes of extending the life. It didn't extend far....

Considering the age and miles on my Sugar 3+, I frequently look for frame stress/cracks. None so far. Well, probably just jinxed it...

*snap*

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 8:09 Quote
I have a Trek superfly Gary fisher 2008.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
fredcook wrote:
Gonna bump this thread! Hopefully there's still someone watching. Big Grin

I still ride a 2003 Sugar 3+, which I bought new. Ride it literally just about daily (5+ times a week). It came new with all XT compliments, and has remained so since I bought it new. It seems every time I think it's time to retire it, I remember just how much fun it is to ride. It's snappy, agile, and fast. Sure, it doesn't have the plushness and geometry of new stuff, but it is, after all, a true XC bike. With its 110 mm rear and 120 front travel, it climbs like a flippin' billy goat and lives for rocky/rooty stuff. And although it's a bit rough on fast rocky descents, it remains stable and upright. Tire width is limited, but manage a 2.35 up front, and a 2.1 in the rear (Kenda Nevegal's, which run wider than average). That's been a great combo for the Sugar. It's been through upgrades/updates/replacements over the years, most recently a new Mavic wheelset and fresh XT calipers and triggers with Ice-Tech rotors, as well as a new fork (Rockshox). It's transmission is still a 3x9, but have been eyeing a 1x11 update using e*thirteen's TRS cassette for more range than a SRAM 12 speed.

Any other Sugar riders out there?

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 20:49 Quote
fredcook wrote:
Gonna bump this thread! Hopefully there's still someone watching. Big Grin

I still ride a 2003 Sugar 3+, which I bought new. Ride it literally just about daily (5+ times a week). It came new with all XT compliments, and has remained so since I bought it new. It seems every time I think it's time to retire it, I remember just how much fun it is to ride. It's snappy, agile, and fast. Sure, it doesn't have the plushness and geometry of new stuff, but it is, after all, a true XC bike. With its 110 mm rear and 120 front travel, it climbs like a flippin' billy goat and lives for rocky/rooty stuff. And although it's a bit rough on fast rocky descents, it remains stable and upright. Tire width is limited, but manage a 2.35 up front, and a 2.1 in the rear (Kenda Nevegal's, which run wider than average). That's been a great combo for the Sugar. It's been through upgrades/updates/replacements over the years, most recently a new Mavic wheelset and fresh XT calipers and triggers with Ice-Tech rotors, as well as a new fork (Rockshox). It's transmission is still a 3x9, but have been eyeing a 1x11 update using e*thirteen's TRS cassette for more range than a SRAM 12 speed.

Any other Sugar riders out there?

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
Yes!! I actually just picked one up on a whim and I love it. It's a Sugar 3 and mostly stock. Now looking to see how or what to tweak. Considering converting to tubeless and hunting around for some upgraded suspension parts.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Just started riding again, but having more fun than I thought. What do you need to do to maintain the rear suspension? Bushings etc.

O+
Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
1st Fisher was a Mt. Tam, rigid...and rode a bunch of trails with it, mainly in Rhode Island where it was purchased. Rode a few trails with it out west in Santa Cruz, where I gained the nickname "Mr. Stiffy". I soon bought a hard-tail Big Sur...this was back in the late 90's though. Rode the Big Sur in some great places living in Silicon Valley for a few year, and a few gems down in San Diego.Still have her actually. My wife has a Kaitai (?)

Just bought myself a Santa Cruz Chameleon this year..hoping to get some fun out of that, and hand down my Fisher to my son to get him into riding.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 0:53 Quote
Hi new to the forum.
I ride a gary fisher paragon 1997 i believe,had it a few years now night and light and smooth as silk.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
My daily rider still is a 15" 2001 GF Sugar 1 full XTR m952 drive train, race lite wheels stock ( recently replaced with XTR m960 rim brake wheels minty) Manitou Black ( had multiple sets) I've ridden and raced this bike for the last 18 years, she's no down hill bomber but at 20.2 lbs still good for a comfy, fast as you wanna go 60 mile xc single track ride. I do appreciate this old girl, I had purchased multiple XTR952 chain rings, cogs, chains etc 15 years back, just found a new WTB Ti laser seat in parts bin. I don't need or can't afford any fancy mtn bike, keep drive train clean to avoid chain suck, new technology tires are really nice too as another sugar rider pointed out. Wife has a 15" 2002 GF Sugar 2 + disk. XT components Bontrager race disk wheels looks new. I'll putt around on this and keep it tuned but it has sat for 15ish years. Very nice too just about 3lbs heavier so I always ride the one! See you on the trails.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:50 Quote
Master-Yoda wrote:
Just started riding again, but having more fun than I thought. What do you need to do to maintain the rear suspension? Bushings etc.

Man, just saw this post... if you're still asking... and if this is for the Sugar 3 you mentioned in another post... Trek still stocks rear suspension bushings for the Sugar 3! I replaced my 2003 Sugar 3+ bushing about 1 1/2 years ago. Took one phone call and received the bushings is something like three days.

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 14:36 Quote
2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 2 26 24 Mullet Push Fox Van 160mm fork 2018 FIT RC Push Fox Van RC 7.87 x2.25 400lbs SLS Shimano M8000 XT 11spd shifter mech Shimano M7100 SLX Brakes 180 160mm ICE OneUP v2 180mm dropper Chromag Fubar OSX Ranger v2

I currently ride a Sugar 2+ having been passed down many a dope piece of componentry as well as the stock complete bike after my fully custom scout fell prey to a thief. She’s pretty dope and rips with all the newest slackest bikes out thereSmile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.048165
Mobile Version of Website