Any one else ride a Gary Fisher?

PB Forum :: Gary Fisher
Any one else ride a Gary Fisher?
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 9, 2018 at 6:48 Quote
Had a 2+ Sugar. It broke so we welded up the rear triangle in hopes of extending the life. It didn't extend far...
Broken at brace on lower pivot chainstay

Then I went to a Roscoe 3. Now I am on a 2018 Remedy. The wife still has her Big Sur but she doesn't ride it much, prefers the Trek 29er hardtail...

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 7:08 Quote
macross87 wrote:
Had a 2+ Sugar. It broke so we welded up the rear triangle in hopes of extending the life. It didn't extend far....

Considering the age and miles on my Sugar 3+, I frequently look for frame stress/cracks. None so far. Well, probably just jinxed it...

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
I have a2009 roscoe I cant bear to ride cause it is too short if anyone is interested , just sits in the garage , I don't expect it is worth much except to Gary Fisher enthusiasts

Posted: May 9, 2018 at 9:54 Quote
fredcook wrote:
macross87 wrote:
Had a 2+ Sugar. It broke so we welded up the rear triangle in hopes of extending the life. It didn't extend far....

Considering the age and miles on my Sugar 3+, I frequently look for frame stress/cracks. None so far. Well, probably just jinxed it...

*snap*

Posted: Jun 11, 2018 at 8:09 Quote
I have a Trek superfly Gary fisher 2008.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
fredcook wrote:
Gonna bump this thread! Hopefully there's still someone watching. Big Grin

I still ride a 2003 Sugar 3+, which I bought new. Ride it literally just about daily (5+ times a week). It came new with all XT compliments, and has remained so since I bought it new. It seems every time I think it's time to retire it, I remember just how much fun it is to ride. It's snappy, agile, and fast. Sure, it doesn't have the plushness and geometry of new stuff, but it is, after all, a true XC bike. With its 110 mm rear and 120 front travel, it climbs like a flippin' billy goat and lives for rocky/rooty stuff. And although it's a bit rough on fast rocky descents, it remains stable and upright. Tire width is limited, but manage a 2.35 up front, and a 2.1 in the rear (Kenda Nevegal's, which run wider than average). That's been a great combo for the Sugar. It's been through upgrades/updates/replacements over the years, most recently a new Mavic wheelset and fresh XT calipers and triggers with Ice-Tech rotors, as well as a new fork (Rockshox). It's transmission is still a 3x9, but have been eyeing a 1x11 update using e*thirteen's TRS cassette for more range than a SRAM 12 speed.

Any other Sugar riders out there?

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 20:49 Quote
fredcook wrote:
Gonna bump this thread! Hopefully there's still someone watching. Big Grin

I still ride a 2003 Sugar 3+, which I bought new. Ride it literally just about daily (5+ times a week). It came new with all XT compliments, and has remained so since I bought it new. It seems every time I think it's time to retire it, I remember just how much fun it is to ride. It's snappy, agile, and fast. Sure, it doesn't have the plushness and geometry of new stuff, but it is, after all, a true XC bike. With its 110 mm rear and 120 front travel, it climbs like a flippin' billy goat and lives for rocky/rooty stuff. And although it's a bit rough on fast rocky descents, it remains stable and upright. Tire width is limited, but manage a 2.35 up front, and a 2.1 in the rear (Kenda Nevegal's, which run wider than average). That's been a great combo for the Sugar. It's been through upgrades/updates/replacements over the years, most recently a new Mavic wheelset and fresh XT calipers and triggers with Ice-Tech rotors, as well as a new fork (Rockshox). It's transmission is still a 3x9, but have been eyeing a 1x11 update using e*thirteen's TRS cassette for more range than a SRAM 12 speed.

Any other Sugar riders out there?

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
Yes!! I actually just picked one up on a whim and I love it. It's a Sugar 3 and mostly stock. Now looking to see how or what to tweak. Considering converting to tubeless and hunting around for some upgraded suspension parts.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 9:14 Quote
Just started riding again, but having more fun than I thought. What do you need to do to maintain the rear suspension? Bushings etc.

Posted: Apr 10, 2019 at 6:16 Quote
1st Fisher was a Mt. Tam, rigid...and rode a bunch of trails with it, mainly in Rhode Island where it was purchased. Rode a few trails with it out west in Santa Cruz, where I gained the nickname "Mr. Stiffy". I soon bought a hard-tail Big Sur...this was back in the late 90's though. Rode the Big Sur in some great places living in Silicon Valley for a few year, and a few gems down in San Diego.Still have her actually. My wife has a Kaitai (?)

Just bought myself a Santa Cruz Chameleon this year..hoping to get some fun out of that, and hand down my Fisher to my son to get him into riding.

Posted: May 12, 2019 at 0:53 Quote
Hi new to the forum.
I ride a gary fisher paragon 1997 i believe,had it a few years now night and light and smooth as silk.

| Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.046265
Mobile Version of Website