Raddest Road/ CycloCross/ Fixed gear/ Touring Thread

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Raddest Road/ CycloCross/ Fixed gear/ Touring Thread
Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 14:38 Quote
I can't see owning a road bike when it seems road bikes these days are trying their hardest to be MTBs.

Yea, drop bars make sense for riding into the wind and different hand positions, but people have ridden thousands of miles on flat bars, too.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 10:06 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I can't see owning a road bike when it seems road bikes these days are trying their hardest to be MTBs.

Yea, drop bars make sense for riding into the wind and different hand positions, but people have ridden thousands of miles on flat bars, too.

try a true road bike, just once, from your door to the first stop on the route you usually take while riding your MTB to your trails and you'll 'get it'.

They're just plain fast.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 16:34 Quote
Quinn-39 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

try a true road bike, just once, from your door to the first stop on the route you usually take while riding your MTB to your trails and you'll 'get it'.

They're just plain fast.

I've ridden true road bikes. I own a classic steel 700x26 2x7 bike. Razesa, to be precise.

I've ridden drop bars MTBs and modern gravel bikes. On the road and path, drops bars are fine, but if I'm riding any amount of singletrack, I want normal MTB bars.

I guess I'm thinking of it from my perspective which is that of limited garage space. If I'm going to have a bike taking up space, I want to be able to ride it on wide variety of trail, and despite being surrounded by some of the nations best gravel roads, I don't think I'll be buying a gravel grinder when it seems like everyone is just attaching drop bars to MTBs and calling them such.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 2:06 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Quinn-39 wrote:
PHeller wrote:

They're just plain fast.

I've ridden true road bikes. I own a classic steel 700x26 2x7 bike. Razesa, to be precise.

I've ridden drop bars MTBs and modern gravel bikes. On the road and path, drops bars are fine, but if I'm riding any amount of singletrack, I want normal MTB bars.

I guess I'm thinking of it from my perspective which is that of limited garage space. If I'm going to have a bike taking up space, I want to be able to ride it on wide variety of trail, and despite being surrounded by some of the nations best gravel roads, I don't think I'll be buying a gravel grinder when it seems like everyone is just attaching drop bars to MTBs and calling them such.

- when quoted a true road bike I'm not thinking a classic steel job. Go demo a cannondale super six, thats an out and out proper road bike!

otherwise, do what the heck you want, you like drops? great, use them! you like risers? cool, stick some on ...

doesn't really matter!

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 8:37 Quote
I've ridden modern carbon road bikes too. They are fast, but I'm strictly saying from the standpoint of: "I have limited space, which bikes fit my preferred riding?"

At this point at least, with limited storage in my new expensive house, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a road bike, especially when I'm surrounded by hundreds of miles of gravel roads.

If I lived in Florida or someplace with miles of silky smooth berms and respectful driver, I might consider a proper roadie.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I've ridden modern carbon road bikes too. They are fast, but I'm strictly saying from the standpoint of: "I have limited space, which bikes fit my preferred riding?"

At this point at least, with limited storage in my new expensive house, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a road bike, especially when I'm surrounded by hundreds of miles of gravel roads.

If I lived in Florida or someplace with miles of silky smooth berms and respectful driver, I might consider a proper roadie.

hundreds of miles of gravel roads .... Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 12:52 Quote
looking for a decent double-ender for my front.

Posted: Apr 8, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
My new 2017 CAADX 105.

SRAM S900 Cranks with RaceFace NW Chainring, RaceFace Chester Pedals, Fizik Saddle and some tubeless Specialized Tracer Tires.

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 12:06 Quote
Crust Romanceur
seen on Bicycle Touring & Bikepacking Group FB

Posted: Jul 3, 2017 at 19:59 Quote
Geez! Those wheels are sweet! Pedals are neat as well.

Posted: Jul 4, 2017 at 11:59 Quote
Man, those 26" Compass tires lookin goooooooood

Posted: Jul 4, 2017 at 12:56 Quote
crs-one wrote:
Man, those 26" Compass tires lookin goooooooood

wonder if they'd hold up on a Street/DJ bike? I was looking at them last night...$64 or something each. 54mm wide.

Posted: Jul 4, 2017 at 13:45 Quote
I doubt it, if it's anything like the 700c options. A few of my friends have the 700x38 and 700x44 sizes....they are ridiculously thin. They're thin and supple enough you could probably blow your nose with one. That absurdly good ride quality definitely comes at the expense of stoutness.

Posted: Jul 4, 2017 at 16:55 Quote
Yea they are way too thin to do anything but commute on them.

Posted: Jul 11, 2017 at 16:55 Quote
Everytime I think I need to sell my old 1990 Marin Team, I see Crust Bikes and say "I need to have disc tabs welded on that thing!"

All they are is oldschool MTBs with discs and super ultra dooper riser quill stems.

Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034427
Mobile Version of Website