Raddest Road/ CycloCross/ Fixed gear/ Touring Thread

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Raddest Road/ CycloCross/ Fixed gear/ Touring Thread
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Mar 20, 2017 at 14:38 Quote
I can't see owning a road bike when it seems road bikes these days are trying their hardest to be MTBs.

Yea, drop bars make sense for riding into the wind and different hand positions, but people have ridden thousands of miles on flat bars, too.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 10:06 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I can't see owning a road bike when it seems road bikes these days are trying their hardest to be MTBs.

Yea, drop bars make sense for riding into the wind and different hand positions, but people have ridden thousands of miles on flat bars, too.

try a true road bike, just once, from your door to the first stop on the route you usually take while riding your MTB to your trails and you'll 'get it'.

They're just plain fast.

Posted: Mar 21, 2017 at 16:34 Quote
Quinn-39 wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I can't see owning a road bike when it seems road bikes these days are trying their hardest to be MTBs.

Yea, drop bars make sense for riding into the wind and different hand positions, but people have ridden thousands of miles on flat bars, too.

try a true road bike, just once, from your door to the first stop on the route you usually take while riding your MTB to your trails and you'll 'get it'.

They're just plain fast.

I've ridden true road bikes. I own a classic steel 700x26 2x7 bike. Razesa, to be precise.

I've ridden drop bars MTBs and modern gravel bikes. On the road and path, drops bars are fine, but if I'm riding any amount of singletrack, I want normal MTB bars.

I guess I'm thinking of it from my perspective which is that of limited garage space. If I'm going to have a bike taking up space, I want to be able to ride it on wide variety of trail, and despite being surrounded by some of the nations best gravel roads, I don't think I'll be buying a gravel grinder when it seems like everyone is just attaching drop bars to MTBs and calling them such.

Posted: Mar 26, 2017 at 2:06 Quote
PHeller wrote:
Quinn-39 wrote:
PHeller wrote:
I can't see owning a road bike when it seems road bikes these days are trying their hardest to be MTBs.

Yea, drop bars make sense for riding into the wind and different hand positions, but people have ridden thousands of miles on flat bars, too.

try a true road bike, just once, from your door to the first stop on the route you usually take while riding your MTB to your trails and you'll 'get it'.

They're just plain fast.

I've ridden true road bikes. I own a classic steel 700x26 2x7 bike. Razesa, to be precise.

I've ridden drop bars MTBs and modern gravel bikes. On the road and path, drops bars are fine, but if I'm riding any amount of singletrack, I want normal MTB bars.

I guess I'm thinking of it from my perspective which is that of limited garage space. If I'm going to have a bike taking up space, I want to be able to ride it on wide variety of trail, and despite being surrounded by some of the nations best gravel roads, I don't think I'll be buying a gravel grinder when it seems like everyone is just attaching drop bars to MTBs and calling them such.

- when quoted a true road bike I'm not thinking a classic steel job. Go demo a cannondale super six, thats an out and out proper road bike!

otherwise, do what the heck you want, you like drops? great, use them! you like risers? cool, stick some on ...

doesn't really matter!

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 8:37 Quote
I've ridden modern carbon road bikes too. They are fast, but I'm strictly saying from the standpoint of: "I have limited space, which bikes fit my preferred riding?"

At this point at least, with limited storage in my new expensive house, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a road bike, especially when I'm surrounded by hundreds of miles of gravel roads.

If I lived in Florida or someplace with miles of silky smooth berms and respectful driver, I might consider a proper roadie.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 11:29 Quote
PHeller wrote:
I've ridden modern carbon road bikes too. They are fast, but I'm strictly saying from the standpoint of: "I have limited space, which bikes fit my preferred riding?"

At this point at least, with limited storage in my new expensive house, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a road bike, especially when I'm surrounded by hundreds of miles of gravel roads.

If I lived in Florida or someplace with miles of silky smooth berms and respectful driver, I might consider a proper roadie.

hundreds of miles of gravel roads .... Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool Drool

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 12:52 Quote
looking for a decent double-ender for my front.

Posted: Apr 8, 2017 at 14:08 Quote
My new 2017 CAADX 105.

SRAM S900 Cranks with RaceFace NW Chainring, RaceFace Chester Pedals, Fizik Saddle and some tubeless Specialized Tracer Tires.



| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2017. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027092
Mobile Version of Website