Raddest Road/ CycloCross/ Fixed gear/ Touring Thread

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Raddest Road/ CycloCross/ Fixed gear/ Touring Thread
Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 10:31 Quote
CamShreds wrote:
It's an older pic. -40F projected for tomorrow (Midwest US). I'm with you fellas.

Whot? I somehow doubt this.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
I'm guessing that with windchill.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
We're getting similar but worse weather here and we're not that cold. After checking the weather on his listed hometown, my doubts seem to be correct.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:26 Quote
pdee wrote:
I'm guessing that with windchill.

Correct, sir. I was just asked not to travel to work tomorrow Cool

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:29 Quote
sherbet wrote:
We're getting similar but worse weather here and we're not that cold. After checking the weather on his listed hometown, my doubts seem to be correct.

They're saying a low of -10, with windchill it could feel as cold as -30 or lower. Travel advisories everywhere, most non-essential government services will be closed, schools all closed. I wish I were exaggerating man lol.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
CamShreds wrote:
sherbet wrote:

They're saying a low of -10, with windchill it could feel as cold as -30 or lower. Travel advisories everywhere, most non-essential government services will be closed, schools all closed. I wish I were exaggerating man lol.

Your town is calling for -19 before windchill and -22 after for tomorrow. -40 is a long cry from there, trust me. -40 is absolutely nuts.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:49 Quote
Alright man you win lol. It's gonna be cold. How's that

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
It's not a win thing, but sure.

Just grabbed a 3t Ergoterra bar and Loaded Napalm stem, looking at about 315g. Going to wait until the sun joins us again to mount it up.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
Hope pro 4 fixed gear
I turned a hope front disc hub into a fixed gear. It's been refined a bit since I took the picture now using proper outer lock nuts on the axle

21 spoke rim is laced 7 radial/14 2x onto a 28h rim, hence the empty spoke holes on the non drive side

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
dragonaut wrote:
photo
What is this beauty?

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 at 14:54 Quote
DarrellW wrote:
dragonaut wrote:
photo
What is this beauty?

https://theradavist.com/2016/03/2016-nahbs-w-h-bradford-all-road/#1

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 5:13 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
Hope pro 4 fixed gear
I turned a hope front disc hub into a fixed gear. It's been refined a bit since I took the picture now using proper outer lock nuts on the axle

21 spoke rim is laced 7 radial/14 2x onto a 28h rim, hence the empty spoke holes on the non drive side

I applaud this, looks very clean for a bodge, well done!

Does it still work? I'd have thought the forces applied in braking are lower than fixed gear cranking....

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
For those riding 1x hydro setups, how much of an improvement is it over mechanical discs? I rode my Private Jake last year with TRP Spyres and singlespeed, but want to move to an 11 speed setup this year.

For what it's worth, I'm not racing cx, just doing some multi surface riding with it.

Posted: Feb 9, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
While I don't own a disc brake drop bar bike- I've test ridden a fair number in the last year, back to back, trying to make up my mind on what I want for my next bike purchase. I've ridden TRP spires, Hayes CX mechanical, those weird TRP hydros with the caliper master cylinder, Force & Rival 1, Shimano 105, Ultegra and their low-end non-series hydros. Likely some other no-name mechanical options as well, that I am forgetting.

Honestly non of the above options really stood out for me as more powerful than the others. The SRAM options were probably the most disappointing, IMO. Not that they didn't feel good, i just expected more, based on how good even low-end mountain bike hydros are in comparison to their mechanical counterparts.

For road hydros, I would not expect more than a mild imrovement, power wise. Most of the gains are going to center around smoother lever pull, and soft pad engagement. Rotor size will make the biggest difference, and is where I would look for a real upgrade.

If you look at the majority of road hydros, you will see that they are all compact, weight conscious, single-piston designs, similar to what you'd find on an XC bike. It's a very immature market- SRAM & Shimano are still only on their first real attempts at implementing the tech. They have not even begun to think about offering 'options' other than their initial idea of where the sweet spot should fall. Between weight and power, it's middle of the road at best.

The same Rival 1 hydro brakes for instance, that feel fine on a light 1x 'allroad' bike, feel barely sufficient on a steel 29er Kona Sutra LTD. The annoying part, is that's really the best there is for drop bar bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013907
Mobile Version of Website