Lets See Your Knolly

PB Forum :: Knolly
Lets See Your Knolly
O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
Has anyone successfully removed the decals from their Knolly frame? The website FAQ says they are HRNT (or water transfer) vinyl decals.

I have a black anodized v1 Fugitive with the grey decals, which were applied on top of the anodizing (I.e., there is no clear coat over them) so they should be possible to remove. The one on my top tube has a few chunks taken off over time, but the edges don’t peel around it.

I tried a few commonly suggested methods such as soaking in GooGone, WD40, or brake cleaner and scraping off with a credit card, but no luck. Don’t want to sand them off or scrape too heavily and damage the anodizing underneath.

Next step would be to try GoofOff or an acetone-based product, but I don’t have those on hand. Wanted to check if anyone has been able to do it before I spend any money.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 3:51 Quote
I tried a heat gun on the linkage of a carbon warden a few years ago. The decals were very thin, high quality. I gave up pretty quickly. If you're more dedicated, try a heat gun or hair dryer for a while with a credit card or careful razor.

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
$10 bottle of acetone worked like a charm and did not harm the anodizing at all. I just scrubbed with a rag soaked in acetone and the decals dissolved very quickly. Excellent outcome with minimal effort!

This method should work for any raw or anodized Knolly with the decals atop bare metal, but it will NOT work for painted frames where the decals are under a clear coat.

I am not sure how the acetone would affect the clear coat / paint, but I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you are prepared to ruin your paint job and strip the frame.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
Is anyone around 5'6" / 168cm tall riding a small or medium v1 Fugitive? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts on fit, specifically in terms of reach (too short, too long, stem length?) and seat tube length (what length dropper can you fit?).

I'm building a bike for my girlfriend and think a medium v1 Fugitive ST with the geometry in the steep setting and a 27.5 rear wheel would be ideal for her, if the 400mm seat tube would allow her to get enough seatpost drop.

I know the Fugitive has an uninterrupted seattube, I am just not sure how much drop someone her height can get with a post slammed to the collar - 120mm, 150mm??

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
what type of bags are people using behind the seat tube? i see a few straps and bag styles in the pictures but its hard to tell what model they are.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2022 at 5:46 Quote
Garradmiller wrote:
what type of bags are people using behind the seat tube? i see a few straps and bag styles in the pictures but its hard to tell what model they are.
I had a Dakine Hot Laps Gripper on my Warden C

Pros:
Ideal size for "that spot" on a Knolly
Holds a tube
Holds 2x CO2
Holds Levers
Never interfered with pedaling or anything

Cons:
Could use some Velcro or something between the frame and bag. always moved around a little bit
Always covered in mud (more of a factor of where it was placed)
Didn't hold a CO2 air chuck
Still needed to a hip pack to carry other essentials.

Another option could be to use a Voile style strap to carry a tube, CO2 with chuck and levers right there like people do on their top tube on some bikes

Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 2:58 Quote
Anyone running the Warden V2 frame in a mullet configuration?

I'd like to know, do you run it in "slack" mode? If so, have you reduced your stem height after the mulleting? Changed the reach at all?

I bought my Warden with a tower of spacers under the stem. Got used to it as is and when I went mullet it felt horrible. Running it in neutral rather than slack made it better.

I was thinking of going back to 27/27 or fiddling with my cockpit setup to play with stack height, reach and whatnot. Worth it? Any insights?

FWIW I have a large size and I am 5'11" (ape index +1"). I sometime feel like it too much of a bike.

Posted: Nov 12, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
fredink wrote:
Anyone running the Warden V2 frame in a mullet configuration?

I'd like to know, do you run it in "slack" mode? If so, have you reduced your stem height after the mulleting? Changed the reach at all?

I bought my Warden with a tower of spacers under the stem. Got used to it as is and when I went mullet it felt horrible. Running it in neutral rather than slack made it better.

I was thinking of going back to 27/27 or fiddling with my cockpit setup to play with stack height, reach and whatnot. Worth it? Any insights?

FWIW I have a large size and I am 5'11" (ape index +1"). I sometime feel like it too much of a bike.

Have had mine mulleted for more than half the time I've ridden the bike. Overall better imo vs full 275. 170mm 29 front. BB ht a touch tall but went around 33% sag with some compression support and it's all good. I think Knollys aren't the best climber, far from it. But descending, no question they're one of the best.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 18:20 Quote
skivt27 wrote:
Garradmiller wrote:
I had a Dakine Hot Laps Gripper on my Warden C

Pros:
Ideal size for "that spot" on a Knolly
Holds a tube
Holds 2x CO2
Holds Levers
Never interfered with pedaling or anything

Cons:
Could use some Velcro or something between the frame and bag. always moved around a little bit
Always covered in mud (more of a factor of where it was placed)
Didn't hold a CO2 air chuck
Still needed to a hip pack to carry other essentials.

Another option could be to use a Voile style strap to carry a tube, CO2 with chuck and levers right there like people do on their top tube on some bikes
Completely agree, I have used my Faceface Stash on both my Fugitive LT and my new Chilcotin, I eventually did use some small velcro strips to hold it in place and that was definitely a gamechanger in keeping the pack stable

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 18:26 Quote
Greetings, fellow Knolly ownersSmile ,

It's officially time to show off my newest build, a Fresh Chilcotin 159. Loved the raw look so I have polished the HSC and aircap on the fork, the rebound ring on the shock, headset spacers, lock on's, rear mech cage and the cable entry port bolts to match. Let me know what you guys think!
photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 2:10 Quote
Those polished details are stunning. How did you do it? Oven cleaner?

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 10:19 Quote
mdg3d wrote:
Anywhere from 1-6 hours in oven cleaner and then polished with a wheel on a drill press/dremmel w polishing head and the. Some clear coat. Super happy with the look so far

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 12:32 Quote
No doubt, it looks sick!
mullw05 wrote:
mdg3d wrote:
Anywhere from 1-6 hours in oven cleaner and then polished with a wheel on a drill press/dremmel w polishing head and the. Some clear coat. Super happy with the look so far

Posted: Jul 26, 2023 at 6:36 Quote
New Chilcotin 167 build

photo
photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016513
Mobile Version of Website