Posted: Jan 21, 2016 at 3:08 Quote
my fav set up so far. bit more endro tup

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 1:53 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
my fav set up so far. bit more endro tup
thanks bud, glad you like it tup

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 2:28 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
okay.... apart from the bombers making a return and the wheels, updates are the the Raceface Evolve DH bars and Azonic Shorty stem. They make it much easier to flick the bike around, which is fun, but when im riding while standing the shorter stem does make it feel like all my bodyweight is over the front wheel.

splashbacks arent what id call grippy in the wet stuff
1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Muddy

Gotta get the smokes back on there for that stuff Big Grin

Amazing effort on this thread man! Gorgeous bike!

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 9:40 Quote
cheers mate! the reason i took the smokes off in the first place is because they werent grippy enough... when riding over a wet rock or tree root they would slide straight out, they dont like thick mud either. i thought that was quite poor for an offroad tyre, and they are too skinny. they're more like a 1.9" width rather than the 2.1" they should be. For a bike that gets ridden it should probably have modern rubber, i think i'll buy a pair of schwalbes and the splashbacks can sit in the garage until summer

sean Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2016 at 12:20 Quote
I've never tried any modern mountain bike rubber myself. The Panaracers were the last set of knobbies I bought for a mountain bike. And that was probably in 1994. Been riding some Bontragger slicks since 2005 until just before Christmas. Makes me want to get something new to try it out!

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 8:25 Quote
Ive changed the handlebars and stem back for modern, because after using new and old theres just no comparison between 90s bars & modern ones, and ive wanted a set of carbon Renthal Fatbars ever since i seen the pinkbike review when they were first released...
Renthal fatbar carbon

weight is also a factor so im being quite particular... THE STOCK weight of these bars is 180g but ive cut them down to 700mm so now they weigh 170g, and theyre gonna be paired with my thomson elite stem which weighs 166g. the old Raceface bars and Azonic stem combined weigh a fairly hefty 553g

Old for erm, old... I really like the ti railed Avocet, its like a flite but without the constant arse ache lol
gt and avocet saddles RETRO

The original zasky saddle...
Original saddle from my 1994 gt zaskar aqua

And the avocet o2...
titanium railed avocet air o2. you can see what a difference it makes in the weight

a total weight saving of 356g!

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 at 6:56 Quote
the changes make the bike more rideable and i didnt trust the splashbacks much in the wet so I've changed them for some schwalbe racing ralphs, they arent the most nobbly of tyres but held up well in wet mud

here are some iphone quality pics from the trails. The colour isn't very true to life, the frame looks more blue in some of these photos than what it actually is...

some piss poor iphone quality pics from Leigh woods. the colour isnt very true to life the zaskar isnt as blue as it looks

some piss poor iphone quality pics from Leigh woods. the colour isnt very true to life the zaskar isnt as blue as it looks

some piss poor iphone quality pics from Leigh woods. the colour isnt very true to life the zaskar isnt as blue as it looks raceface turbine crank DMR V12 Blackspire stinger

Posted: May 9, 2016 at 12:59 Quote
i put a lot of time (and money) into restoring my bomber z2's, just to put about 100miles on them and replace them with a different fork Facepalm Rolleyes But... you dont see this era of sid fork with a v brake for sale very often, ive been riding em for a while now and i think they're one of the best pairs of suspension forks ive owned. maybe thats just the difference between newer forks and the retro ones ive been riding, but I'm still impressed. aint likely i'll upgrade these...

2009 Rockshox SID Race 80mm rare V brake version

nd a new DMR chain reactor... its steel so + a few g but its thinner than the old one which means i could change back to the original (shorter shell) XT bottom bracket, cus the creaking from the titanium bb and its tendency to loosen itself was starting to piss me off. The big red dmr roller woulda looked stupid on my turquoise frame so ive changed it for a blackspire one....

DMR MKII Chain Reactor

i dropped these bits off to be powdercoated along with a bunch of motorbike parts i was already having done. I can see what 'blackstar' was saying on the last page, black does look somewhat more subtle

some bits i had powder coated DMR Saturn Chainring Rockshox SID Compression Dial and some nuts off my Ti Skewers

some bits i had powder coated DMR Saturn Chainring Rockshox SID Compression Dial and some nuts off my Ti Skewers

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 12:31 Quote
As the bike currently stands
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Turquoise
for an old frame it takes the 80mm forks nicely, they dont throw the geometry off at all and i think they suit it really well. I'm also having a pair of Surly rigid forks refurbed at the moment for a rigid option Smile

i swapped the adjusters for late 90s Avid speed dial ones. i never liked the shimano XT/XTR barrels
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Turquoise XT m737 brake levers with avid adjusters

Retro 1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Turquoise Raceface Turbine Retro 1997 DMR saturn

The thomson stem is the 110mm variant this time. its a shame they dont make a 15 degree X4, cus the SID steerer is pretty short

I really like the detail of modern carbon parts, even if it is just a seat clamp! with the ti bolt it weighs 20g less than the original GT binder... Not bad
Retro 1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Turquoise carbonfibree

Posted: May 22, 2016 at 13:38 Quote
wow! is amazing!

how much does it weight?

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 2:11 Quote
its-chris wrote:
wow! is amazing!

how much does it weight?

Thanks. Weight is 23.4ibs tup

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 2:51 Quote
This thread just gave me multiple boners Razz

Are the XT brakes those with the parallel-push mechanism!?

Congrats man.

I miss my 1993 GT Kamikaze LX built sooo much... can't even find pics Cry those LX cantilevers Fab

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 7:57 Quote
Mountain-Dalek wrote:
This thread just gave me multiple boners Razz

Are the XT brakes those with the parallel-push mechanism!?

Congrats man.

Thanks man lol The brakes are avid single digit 7's, but with shimano XT levers. I never liked the parallel push brakes that much

Sean

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 21:50 Quote
is an amazing bike! been following the built and is incredible! one of my favorite frames ever!

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 23:48 Quote
its-chris wrote:
is an amazing bike! been following the built and is incredible! one of my favorite frames ever!
thanks, and yeah its a great frame, its nice and short which i think gives it a comfortable riding position, and it feels really stiff and tough as well

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.028272
Mobile Version of Website