1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Build

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Build
Posted: Aug 16, 2016 at 13:54 Quote
i've aquired a bunch of different forks with various axle to crown lengths to decide which are best suited. Ideally i want one pair of suspension forks and one pair of rigid forks tup

from left to right

-Onza Fly Guy, 430mm

-On one cro/mo, 420mm

-1995 pace rc35 MXD, 430mm

-1999 marzocchi bomber z2 superfly, 440mm

-Surly instigator 450mm

Retro ish selection of forks. suspension and rigid. from left to right 1 Onza Flyguy 2 On One Cro mo 3 1995 Pace RC35MXC 4 1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Superfly 5 Surly Instigator

onza fluy guy on one fro mo surly instigator

Posted: Aug 17, 2016 at 3:46 Quote
Onza & Bomber Big Grin

sean-s-1991 wrote:
i've aquired a bunch of different forks with various axle to crown lengths to decide which are best suited. Ideally i want one pair of suspension forks and one pair of rigid forks tup

from left to right

-Onza Fly Guy, 430mm

-On one cro/mo, 420mm

-1995 pace rc35 MXD, 430mm

-1999 marzocchi bomber z2 superfly, 440mm

-Surly instigator 450mm

Retro ish selection of forks. suspension and rigid. from left to right 1 Onza Flyguy 2 On One Cro mo 3 1995 Pace RC35MXC 4 1999 Marzocchi Bomber Z2 Superfly 5 Surly Instigator

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 6:07 Quote
I've tried the onza forks and they dont ride as well as steel forks, they're too stiff. i didnt think they looked right either. im with you on the bombers though tup

bought a pair of onza canis too Smile

Onza Canis 26 x 2.25 for the zaskar

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua onza fluy guy forks

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua onza fluy guy forks

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2016 at 6:01 Quote
Awesome build! Your thread has inspired me to dust off my 97 zaskar. Thanks!!!

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 0:34 Quote
prophet30 wrote:
Awesome build! Your thread has inspired me to dust off my 97 zaskar. Thanks!!!
thanks, im glad you like it, i have another update to post when i get around to it Smile

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 1:18 Quote
Looks fantastic man! I own a 2011 Zaskar, but it has nothing on the looks of that, congrats for the rebuild! Big Grin

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 4:32 Quote
The pace RC35 MXC forks Big Grin . very nice condition and are fitted with upgraded titanium bolts and bosses. Ive had several pace forks b4 but never an rc35 so i was kinda excited by these. The length is 430mm, so in between the length of the bomber and the on one rigid fork
RETRO 1995 Pace RC35 MXC titanium fork

but they do sag a fair bit, so i took the legs off and found that an elastomer in each leg has crumbled away
fixing elastomer dampeners in a 1995 pace rc35 mxc fork

luckilly i got some genuine spares

jobs a good un

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 7:21 Quote
elastomer.... Facepalm

wasn't that a craze? i had those chrome shiny Ballistic sets. 50mm i think of filling removers. then some Manitou Spyers after that. i couldn't stand the top-out clunk so i'd crank the preload, lucky if i got 10% sag. didn't know what i was doing back then

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 7:30 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
elastomer.... Facepalm

wasn't that a craze? i had those chrome shiny Ballistic sets. 50mm i think of filling removers. then some Manitou Spyers after that. i couldn't stand the top-out clunk so i'd crank the preload, lucky if i got 10% sag. didn't know what i was doing back then

If you put the elastomer in the microwave, in a shallow dish of water. They tend to regain some of their spring.

Posted: Oct 30, 2016 at 15:32 Quote
Elastomers werent great i admit, but i wasnt expecting much from these forks anyway Smile

I left an old pair of manitou 4 forks mext to a radiator once, and when the heating came on the elastomers turned to mush and wouldnt re harden.

Posted: Nov 1, 2016 at 2:17 Quote
Some pictures of the bike. Handlebars are easton monkey lite which i stripped the lacquer and graphics from, the stem is a 90s kore aheadstem

1994 GT Zaskar Aqua Turquoise Retro

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 4:33 Quote
Nice. It has a really good look to it. and Good work on maintaining the vintage.

How do you find the stem? I had a 90mm tompson on my old hardtail,I was amazed at how different (in a good way) things felt after I swapped it out for a 50mm...but .. it's hard to find a vintage stem in that size.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 4:38 Quote
can you run the rear shifter cable on the other side of the head tube? and make it cross under the BB? And can your rear brake, route on the other side of the head tube as well?

nit-picking cable routing is kinda my thing ... but If you can have it route that way it would it would really polish the build a bit.

that .. and line your tire graphics up with your valve stems.

Sorry... it's just a nice build, and those things (while they may not do much for function) give it a finished look that will really reflect your attention to detail.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 12:14 Quote
And i thought i was particular!! The tyres were so tight on the rims i was just happy to get them on tbh lol

Yeah you can run the brake cables around the other side of the headtube, gt is american and you guys run the levers on oppositte sides to us. But ive tried rereuiting the cables and i find it works best the way mine is. I dont know why you would wanna cross the gear cables though, thats a bad idea

Ive got tonnes of stems for this bike, i find 100mm fits best, the kore stem is 110 but still fits alright. The old Zaskar frames are pretty short especially compared to modern frames, i wouldnt run any shorter than 90mm. Go back a few pages and youll see it with a 75mm azonic stem fitted, this just made it ride really weird and twitchy.

Posted: Nov 2, 2016 at 23:00 Quote
sean-s-1991 wrote:
And i thought i was particular!! The tyres were so tight on the rims i was just happy to get them on tbh lol

Yeah you can run the brake cables around the other side of the headtube, gt is american and you guys run the levers on oppositte sides to us. But ive tried rereuiting the cables and i find it works best the way mine is. I dont know why you would wanna cross the gear cables though, thats a bad idea

Ive got tonnes of stems for this bike, i find 100mm fits best, the kore stem is 110 but still fits alright. The old Zaskar frames are pretty short especially compared to modern frames, i wouldnt run any shorter than 90mm. Go back a few pages and youll see it with a 75mm azonic stem fitted, this just made it ride really weird and twitchy.

not really, that is what I used to do when routing GTs it looks cleaner, make a nice x on the downtube and look cleaner

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022741
Mobile Version of Website