I can't get the tyres off my Sun Doubletrack rims

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
I can't get the tyres off my Sun Doubletrack rims
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 4:35 Quote
Hi all,

Quite simply put: I cannot get those damn tyres off my Sun Doubletrack rims. When I received the wheelset for the first time, it took me and two friends an hour and a half to muscle on the Specialized Enduro Sport 2.2" tyres onto the Doubletracks. I didn't really think of the consequences of flatting and not being able to remove the tyres and yesterday I flatted a long way from anywhere. To cut a long story short, I had to have someone come pick me up because I simply couldn't repair the flat as I couldn't remove the tyre.
So, my options are either: sell the wheelset and get one which is normal in terms of tyre removal (bad option for a number of reasons, including the idea that I may sell the whole bike soon anyway to buy a fullyÖ OR I find out a good technique to get the tyres off easily. What am I doing wrong? We broke three plastic tyre levers so I know not to use those, but metal ones will hurt the rim a lot won't they? Wrap them in electrical tape? Even so, it seems like it'll continue to be impossible to remove the tyres.

Thanks in advance,
-Gabor

PS: The flat seems to have originated from a sharp object which pierced the tyre; a 1cm gash along the sidewall shouldn't affect it too much right?

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 4:46 Quote
Well in my experience,it seems that alot of times, all that is needed is more patience, but sometimes it can be a real hassle to remove tires off such a deep rim.

Basically what I do is when I am able to pop the bead out, go around the rim and push it up farther ,so that the maximium amount of bead can be exposed. . Work it a little at a time with levers, like a quarter of an inch at a time if you have to,it's all about patience my friend ,practice and you will be a pro in no time.Smile

I have seen some peaple using duct tape to patch sidewalls temporaraly,it seemed to work,so maybe try that.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 4:46 Quote
try to find some of the michelin tyre levels
they shuld help, other than that jst keep going, can take ages and there a bitch but they will come off

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 5:28 Quote
Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just keep trying. Should I attempt to use metal levers or should plastic ones suffice?

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 5:30 Quote
no definately not metal, otherwise u will have no rims
use the parktools plastic or michelin
michelin are sprung plastic which actually help u

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 5:31 Quote
tomgunn wrote:
OK, I'll continue trying with my plastic Michelin ones but I find that they simply bend past 180 degrees to almost form a circle when I'm trying to get the tyres off; pretty useless. Confused

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 5:33 Quote
yes I agree don't use metal levers,they just scratch your rims up. Use plastic ones for sure. I have gotten so good at taking tires off, that usually I can use one plastic parktool lever,and a little persisitance (SP?).

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 5:35 Quote
gabor wrote:
tomgunn wrote:
OK, I'll continue trying with my plastic Michelin ones but I find that they simply bend past 180 degrees to almost form a circle when I'm trying to get the tyres off; pretty useless. Confused

Thats probly from trying to get too much bead out at one time, so be patient, little by little, and youl get er done. Beer

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 6:23 Quote
OK, thanks ever so much for the help. Smile

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 6:37 Quote
skaplayer89 wrote:
funny thread.
I know it sounds pathetic, but if you ever get the chance to, give taking tyres off a Doubletrack a go. You can feel your elbow joints separate as you strain to take the tyre bead off. Big Grin

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 6:45 Quote
gabor wrote:
skaplayer89 wrote:
funny thread.
I know it sounds pathetic, but if you ever get the chance to, give taking tyres off a Doubletrack a go. You can feel your elbow joints separate as you strain to take the tyre bead off. Big Grin

Really? Are they particularly tough rims for tyre changing?

I can get my thick 2-ply minnions on and off my rim using my thumb and fingers (not to say it isnt hard!). I just straighten my arms and use them like crowbars, I cant see how your elbows can feel the strain.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 6:58 Quote
gabor wrote:
skaplayer89 wrote:
funny thread.

it fun tryin to get the tubeless michelins off single tracks too

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 7:02 Quote
raak wrote:
gabor wrote:
skaplayer89 wrote:
funny thread.

Really? Are they particularly tough rims for tyre changing?

I can get my thick 2-ply minnions on and off my rim using my thumb and fingers (not to say it isnt hard!). I just straighten my arms and use them like crowbars, I cant see how your elbows can feel the strain.
With my old rims (Alexrims, can't remember the exact model) I could do what you said, just literally lift the tyre off the rim with thumb and fingers. I guess the difficulty here is to do with the extreme width and depth of the rim - 40mm wide and much, much bigger in terms of heigh than other rims. I've blown up countless tyre levers trying to get them off and they're still sitting here to my right laughing at me.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 7:05 Quote
I have a set of park tools DH tyre levers. They are really good and strong. I carry them in my camelpak and they dont take up much room.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010320
Mobile Version of Website