Best beginner downhill bike 2014?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best beginner downhill bike 2014?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 11:18 Quote
Hello all...

I've been searching for a new hobby and i like Downhill MTB. It looks fun. So what would be a good beginners bike for me? Im 5'11 200lbs. Muscular build with long legs and long arms. I know that info can be important when choosing a bike. I did a little BMX about 5 yrs ago. I am 21yrs old and i have friends that are 6'5 and we have the same height waist line. lol

I just moved to Murfreesboro, TN a couple of days ago. Its about 30 miles south of Nashville. Any good bike shops around? Downhill places to ride? Competitions going on around this area?

I am a huge SX/MX fan. Have been my whole life. I love adrenaline and being on the edge. Watching Downhill vids on YouTube make me wanna go out and buy a bike and get started lol. I would love to get into this and possibly get into some competitions and go watch some pro comps as well. Thanks in advance peeps!

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 13:33 Quote
if you are looking for a good beginner downhill bike i would suggest a specialized status because they do have a longer frame than most dh bikes like the demo the only problem would be the fork but they are an easy upgrade and they are awesome for dirt jumps and jumping they are great or i would suggest a giant glory or a trek session if price does not matter

Posted: Jun 18, 2014 at 23:28 Quote
Second hand one, your gonna crash a lot if your just starting (believe me I know! Currently got my arm in a cast and I've been riding a while) Don't bash up a new bike.

Then in a year or more if you get enough riding in you will know what sort of bike you want, longer/slacker DH/freeride there are so many bikes out there

I'm still riding a 2012 commie supreme and won't change it till it dies

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 1:18 Quote
+1 it's easy to buy the wrong bike when you're starting out
take the time to decide exactly what you want and you'll save a whole heap of effort and cash

Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 7:30 Quote
Just go cheap, believe me. I started with DH last season and my first bike was a 2004 Santa Cruz Bullit. Older bikes are cheaper, but NOT worse then the new ones. I had a chance of riding a 2013 Giant Glory and as a beginner, I didn't see much difference and the price difference is around 2.5k $.
I'm still running the Marz 888 (2004 mod) on my Demo 8 which I had on the Bullit. Awesome and nearly indestructible fork.

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 6:42 Quote
Personally I'd go with a hardtail, not only are they cheaper, they'll improve your skill set a lot quicker than a full sus bike. There is also a lot less on a hardtail to go wrong when choosing the bike. It'd be more of a gentle step up from your BMX riding.

Trouble with doing DH on a hardtail, is it is very tough and you have a risk of going through components at a faster rate than a full susser, but it is a lot cheaper to run. People will try to tell you hardtails can't compete will full sussers, but there is a young rider over here in Wales who was/is regularly getting podiums on some of the most gnarliest tracks. He rides a DMR Omen which has been designed for Downhill and looks pretty sweet. If you are going for a hardtail, pick one with a steel frame.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 21:43 Quote
Or don't get a hardtail...try to find a bike here on pinkbike that's in your price range. Just incase you find that DH just isn't for you

Posted: Oct 11, 2015 at 13:04 Quote
airborne toxin or pathogen 1500$ its a great bike

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010250
Mobile Version of Website