Clip ins

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 17:01 Quote
making the transition from flats to clip ins
any advice on best type of shoes to get? or shoe 2 pedal combo?

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2014 at 23:47 Quote
I made the transition this season and can't ever see going back. I went with Shimano M088 shoes as they fit my foot well, and and have a rubbery sole for walking/hiking. The Shimano M530 pedals were suggested as a good combo on their website and have been working nicely for rugged AM riding.

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 2:40 Quote
I'm on a Specialized Shoe / Shimano XT Pedal combo and it's the bomb. I've heard Shimano+Shimano is a great combo too!

As for shoe type it depends on what kind of riding you do. I've got one light and stiff pair for XC with a "normal" shimano SPD pedal. Then for AM/Enduro I have a "burlier" shoe with bigger rubber sole, paired with a "trail" version of the Shimano SPD pedal (basically the same clip-in system, just a little wider pedal for better traction and balance for the gnarlier stuff.

Either way you will love it, I guarantee it!

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 10:23 Quote
I'm using the M785 XT pedals, and the MT53 shoes.

The shoes fit my feet weel and I like them, even when I have to walk. No complains.
The pedals are great, the mud easily gets off and it's ease to clip in or out even with mud.

When I made the transition (a year ago), I got the M324 pedals (half clip, half flat). To gain confidence they were ok, but they retain too much mud and then become almost impossible to clip in. I always had to stop and clean the clip with a stick to clip again.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 10:50 Quote
Any shimano pedal will be bomber and you'll still be using it 5+ years from now. I personally like the XC pedals best, cuz I think the platforms on the DH pedals are a pain in the ass to get in and out of (and they're heavy). As far as shoes, if you're the type of person who wants to put in lots of miles, I'd definitely advise a light and stiff xc race style of shoe (I use the Northwave Rebels, love them). The stiffness is great for transferring power and it's easy to go for hours and hours with those. If you're gonna be doing lots of hiking and walking then maybe look at one of the softer ones with a rubber sole.

Posted: Jun 20, 2014 at 20:51 Quote
just last weekend i finally bit the bullet and went clipless.everyone kept telling me to go clipless, i was very hesitant. im not a very experienced rider and on the trails find myself putting a foot out to steady myself around some corners. i went in with the intention of getting a pair of 510 freeride shoes for flats, however i spotted the 510 maltese falcon lt shoes. they are a flat sole clipless shoe, i figured if i hate being clipped in i could remove the cleats and still use the shoes with flats. i went with the cheapest clipless pedals of a good brand i could get, shimano m520s.

end result is so far i love being clipped in. far more control of the back end of the bike, im not sliding off the pedals anymore (although that could have been my crappy old runners causing most of that), im less tired/sore after a ride, and most importantly i feel far more confident on the bike. now, that being said ive only been doing some local riding and havent been able to hit the trails yet, so tomorrow ill find out how many times i can fall over on one trail.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2014 at 5:15 Quote
@sharkeyt69 before you hit the trails (if you haven't already), loosen the tension on your pedals so your feet come out easily. Makes a big difference, especially starting out.

Nailed it about being less sore/tired. Climbing or putting in long distances on flats is torture compared to clipless... not that you can't do it, it'll just cost a lot more energy cuz you can't put in power over as much of the pedal stroke with flats.

Posted: Jun 23, 2014 at 21:42 Quote
i did loosen the pedals off before i rode the first time with them.

first time on the trail, ive never been so frustrated while biking. i think i fell over at least a dozen times. worst feeling is riding on the side of an embankment and looking down and thinking "what if i cant unclip in time?" (maybe i havent quite gotten over that fear of heights). after half the ride it did get a bit better, i got more used to it, although it was still nerve racking. i did realize the biggest benefit of clipless when i was loading the bike into the truck, for the first time this year i felt like i could have hiked back up the mountain to ride the trail again. so ill keep riding with them for now.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 16:15 Quote
I have shimano AM 45 shoes which are nice.
I used to have shimano xt clips but hated the lack of platform and also wasn't fond of the clipping mechanism. Switched to crankbrothers mallet dh and they have transformed my riding. Amazing nice feel, big platform for when you unclip, so easy to clip back in. Almost all the top downhill guys are on them and loads of enduro guys too. 10/10 for me

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
have a look at time clip in pedals, really nice and sturdy with a good platform and they have taken countless knocks and rock strikes. maybe a bit heavier than others but they're pedals, who cares?

as for shoes, i recently changed from a pretty basic pair of shimanos to mavic crossmax and havent looked back. they use a quick lac system as well as a ratchet strap so they are super secure, and have a great grippy sole so if you need to hike a bit then you will be able to do so in comfort and without fear of slipping.

links to the pedals and shoes:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavic-crossmax-mtb-shoes-2014/rp-prod112848
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/time-atac-dh4/rp-prod105726

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 22:46 Quote
The only place I dislike clips is in pedal clipping rock gardens or when u have to start going down a hill and try to get clipped in

Posted: Jun 26, 2014 at 4:34 Quote
xtr pedals and shimano shoes,cant ride anything else

Posted: Jun 28, 2014 at 12:28 Quote
What is the difference between xtr and xt pedals? Maybe weight but adjustment wise.

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 0:16 Quote
goldhecklerswag wrote:
What is the difference between xtr and xt pedals? Maybe weight but adjustment wise.

a few bits are different,i just had a job lot of 4 sets of SPD XTR so all my kit has them on now.
shimano shoes are good,i used to use diadora but couldnt find the right size anymore.

the xt pedal is ushally the xtr kit a couple of years down so either are good.depends on budget.

stay shimano and all will be as you pay for!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013067
Mobile Version of Website