Best Combo of tubeless tyres (front and rear) for 'Enduro' racing

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best Combo of tubeless tyres (front and rear) for 'Enduro' racing
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 1:12 Quote
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade to tubeless and don't know what tyres to run on my MEGA TR. Need to be tough but also aggressive tread as I'm a fairly aggressive rider on my 'Enduro' bike.
Any suggestions and opinions are welcome!
Thanks in advance.

Nukeproof Mega TR

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 16:22 Quote
I'm running a super gravity magic Mary trailStar on the front which is utterly brilliant in everything ,except hardpack. For the rear I was running a pacestar Hans dampf,but it just never felt right so I went with a maxxterra 3c maxxis dhr 2. It's the absolute dogs bollox! Rolls fast (compared to the Hans) rails turn like nothing else and off camber is amazing too. Both went up tubeless with no sealant and a Joe blow sport floor pump. I cannot reccomend these tyres more

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 16:44 Quote
Since you don't mention any conditions. Im guessing that you want a combo that works well most everywhere. Kroky777 nailed it.

Posted: Jun 24, 2014 at 22:35 Quote
Minion dhf 2.5 exo-front,minion dhr2 2.4 60a rear,tubeless,although I'm going to look at the high roller 2s 2:3 tr,exo,

Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 5:40 Quote
I've got 2.4 Conti X-kings protections running on crossmax sx for my rear. they're only 620g. traction, speeds and general performance is ok.
but there's no reduced psi advantage, i have to run about 33. below 30psi, when really laying it over pulling hi Gs in techie corners i've been able to force bead separation and get a burp. also because of the light weight i got a few pinch "bruises", the tubeless equivalent of a pinch flat, a leak right on the edge of the rim thats hard for sealant to get at. lastly the light weight side walls will fatigue quickly with all the excessive movement you get at low psi.

I'm still very happy with them for my needs. I'd just caution light weight tubeless ready tires for agro riders. a proper UST tire with the reinforced side wall would be a better option.

Up front I'm supper happy with my 2.4 Conti MK IIs, 25-28psi, light, sure footed, and the blackchilli rubber lasts forever

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 at 7:28 Quote
I've currently got WTB Vigilante 2.3 on the front and WTB Wolverine on the rear, never had any grip issues so far, the rear does slip a little when things get VERY muddy, but that's a problem I'll address once winter hits.

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 3:00 Quote
Thanks for the suggestions guys, there's no real combo that anyone is agreed on though right? haha

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 11:24 Quote
2.4 high roller 2 front. 2.2 ardent rear. both with the exo casing. fast roll and plenty of grip.
Cant beat high roller 2 for outright grip but drags to much on hard pack for me. hence the ardent rear, they roll noticeably better.

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
wreaman wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, there's no real combo that anyone is agreed on though right? haha

Yeah that's always the case. Different tracks and different riders.

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 15:13 Quote
markg1150 wrote:
2.4 high roller 2 front. 2.2 ardent rear. both with the exo casing. fast roll and plenty of grip.
Cant beat high roller 2 for outright grip but drags to much on hard pack for me. hence the ardent rear, they roll noticeably better.

I second that choice, rocking the same tubeless, good for all but pure DH tracks.

Posted: Jul 2, 2014 at 15:26 Quote
It works better with the ardent 2.4

Posted: Jul 3, 2014 at 1:32 Quote
markg1150 wrote:

High roller 2 is an amazing front tyre, especially is loose and wet. Ardent is a bit too slippy in the loose stuff for me and does not corner great

Posted: Jul 3, 2014 at 2:10 Quote
Having got used to running high rollers front and rear for years all the time it did take me a while to get used to the reduced feel and grip but I did adjust /get used to it eventually and now it's not to far off and I think it's well worth it for the roll. Uplifts /Dh stuff high roller 2s all round no doubt.

O+
Posted: Jul 5, 2014 at 9:50 Quote
There never will be a combo everyone agrees on. Every riding condition will be different, everyone's riding style will vary. What works for you may not work for your mate, it's mostly trial and error..

Posted: Jul 22, 2015 at 13:05 Quote
which casing on the vigilante did you go for mate the tough fast or the tough high grip one
mars-bar-man wrote:
I've currently got WTB Vigilante 2.3 on the front and WTB Wolverine on the rear, never had any grip issues so far, the rear does slip a little when things get VERY muddy, but that's a problem I'll address once winter hits.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014204
Mobile Version of Website