If you broke your back would you ride again?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
If you broke your back would you ride again?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 28, 2014 at 11:41 Quote
I have recently been involved in an accident which resulted in me compressing and fracturing my L1 vertebrae but luckily avoided any nerve damage. I have recently left hospital after having an operation leaving me with some impressive metal work in my back. I now have to wear a brace and can't lift anything other than a kettle for at least 6 weeks where i will have a consultation and assessment of progress. The Dr said at least 6 months until I can use the gym again so would guess that riding would be the same. I just wanted to get an idea of what other people think. Should this accident put me off? Would you ever ride again? Anyone been through this and what did you do? Thanks guys.

Posted: Jun 28, 2014 at 12:49 Quote
Sorry for you Bro!
Just having a simmilar issue, although not that serious. Broke my hand yesterday, but the worse thing is that it's my 8th broken bone within last 6 years. My wife is freaking out so much, that I can almost understand her.
What to do? Ride again? I have 2 kids and every time I crash, it's 6-8 weeks when she's left alone with the whole mess.
So for your case, I would say it depends on your situation. If you're single, I would say, keep 'em rollin'. Otherwise consider a road bike, which I'm doing right now.
Healing vibes!!!

ratboy-21 wrote:
I have recently been involved in an accident which resulted in me compressing and fracturing my L1 vertebrae but luckily avoided any nerve damage. I have recently left hospital after having an operation leaving me with some impressive metal work in my back. I now have to wear a brace and can't lift anything other than a kettle for at least 6 weeks where i will have a consultation and assessment of progress. The Dr said at least 6 months until I can use the gym again so would guess that riding would be the same. I just wanted to get an idea of what other people think. Should this accident put me off? Would you ever ride again? Anyone been through this and what did you do? Thanks guys.

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 17:37 Quote
I fractured my T-12 in a tumble. I landed flat on my back with a full hydration pack that managed not to break as I landed. I think the full pack contributed to the injury. It happened late in the season thus I had the fall and winter to recoup. I was fortunate in that I didn't require surgery. I was very concerned that i wouldn't be up to riding or my other past time, running, but luckily I am able to do both as I had before. I followed the Dr's recoup plan to a T which I think helped. Best of luck with your situation.

Posted: Jun 29, 2014 at 19:44 Quote
I got a compression fracture in my L2 vertebra snowboarding at the end of February. The worst part was not being able to do anything fun for 12 weeks but I've been back on my bike for about a month now and feel great. Only change I made was the switch from a hard tail to a full suspension but that was coming anyway. Everyone is different so you may want to ease back into things but would definitely not let a little back injury end mountain biking for you.

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 at 19:34 Quote
I too had a compression fracture when I was 16 while I was racing MX, 3 vertebrae were damaged but mainly it was T9 my orthodo doc told me never get surgery and get back out there and live don't let this limit you. It did limit me at the time as rehab just wasn't happening too much pain so didn't do anything and my health went down, I'm better now but it was a long tough way back.

I'll ride for the rest of my life and I'm sure I'll bounce off the ground a few more time and get a few more mouthfuls of dirt along the way on this gr8 adventure.

Fastfish11

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 at 19:46 Quote
I ruptured a disk in my lower spine about 14 years ago. I was back on my bike as soon as i was able. 2 years ago i had 2 new disk and 2 metal plates in my neck after a crash. I was rolling around my garden 3 days after coming out of hospital.
For me it was never a case of "should i ride again". If i don't ride for a long period of time i get depressed, cranky and fat. I just go a little slower now and 'try' to be a little more careful.

Posted: Jul 1, 2014 at 19:53 Quote
I too am a bit more cautious but still to fly my main thing has been being as solid as possible so if I do take a hard hit I can get back up, maybe not shake it off right away but none the worse.

Ride 2 Live, Live 2 Ride

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 14:10 Quote
On 02/01/2000 I had a crash which broke my humerus in 3 places causing the radial nerve to get caught between the broken bones and damaging it. I was paralysed for 5 months in the right arm and had a plate put in my arm. Before the op I had to sign a waver saying I consent to amputation if it doesn't go to plan.I was off work for 7 months and it took alot of physio to get back.
Its now 2014 and I cannot imagine not riding my bike. Im ok now , the arm will never be 100% but its a bug that keeps gnawing away at me. Ive adapted my riding and im sure you will.
Never give up !

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 18:11 Quote
Not quite buy back, but i slammed into a tree after a jump last sunday. broke my shoulder blade. Already itching to get back on the bike even though it takes me 10 minutes to get out of bed! Dotor said 3 months but ill be riding as soon as the pain stops.

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 9:15 Quote
I took a little tumble and had compression fractures to my T5,6 and 8 all considered moderate compressions none severe so no surgery for me which sucks cause without the surgery they don't heal as well. It took me about 3 months to get back onto my bike but when I did relized my 4 inches of suspension front and back wernt enough to dampen the pain on the rough stuff so now I have a Dh rig and my all mountain aswell. No problems with riding anymore and no pain with enough suspension under me and it's 1 year later. Just don't be a idiot like I was and try and hop back on to soon just makes the time out even longer.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 2:34 Quote
Hey mate I broke my neck pretty bad when I was 21. I'm 35 next month and I still ride and race Dh. Big crashes slow you down a bit for a while but you get over it. Had grade three shoulder separation a few months ago and I'm just back on the bike. I tried other sports but always end up back in two wheels.

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 3:14 Quote
I would say continue to ride, so long as it makes you happy. However, I wold recommend getting a full protection suit for your upper body. 661 makes a couple different types. Full Spine protection, shoulders, arms, kidneys, the whole nine yards. If you decide to keep writing, I would say don't ever go without that. Neck brace would be good too. Best of luck to you my friend!

Posted: Jul 27, 2014 at 3:15 Quote
IanSpackman wrote:
I would say continue to ride, so long as it makes you happy. However, I wold recommend getting a full protection suit for your upper body. 661 makes a couple different types. Full Spine protection, shoulders, arms, kidneys, the whole nine yards. If you decide to keep writing, I would say don't ever go without that. Neck brace would be good too. Best of luck to you my friend!

Would* *Riding

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 14:17 Quote
Took vertebra 4, 5 and 6 in hafjell, august last year. Stayed in hospital for a week, then was in horizontal for one month at home before i could work on my own. Alot of training and two really kind and professional physioterapists helped me get back on the bike in may. For the nesbyen freeride festival here in norway. I was never in doubt that i would ride again, but like karoliusz says, it depends on your situation. Do you have kids that should have a well function dad?

I have started using a neckbrace with my leatt chest/spine armour

Posted: Aug 2, 2014 at 5:48 Quote
ratboy-21 wrote:

Make your own mind up, if you want to ride again then you will. Life's too short

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006327
Mobile Version of Website