getting back in to biking help with 223 size

PB Forum :: Downhill
getting back in to biking help with 223 size
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 5, 2014 at 23:39 Quote
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am looking at getting back in to riding DH. I've found a really nice orange 223, but it's only a small frame and I'm 5'11". Would this be too small? I heard they only made the 223 in two sizes anyway. Wouldn't want anything too 'unchuckable'

Any help would be awesome! Thanks.

Posted: Jul 6, 2014 at 0:07 Quote
That would probably be way too small. It does have a little bit to do with rider preference but I'm 6'0 and a stock Large bike almost feels a little small for my preference.

Posted: Jul 6, 2014 at 0:23 Quote
Beasthead741 wrote:
That would probably be way too small. It does have a little bit to do with rider preference but I'm 6'0 and a stock Large bike almost feels a little small for my preference.

Ok that's fair point, thanks for your reply. I just hear a lot of people saying they would rather go a smaller size on DH due to being able to throw it around a bit more.

Posted: Jul 6, 2014 at 0:27 Quote
Personally I think that the bigger the bike, the easier it will be to rail over the rough stuff. And also it's a 30-40lb bike so it'll never be that hard to throw around haha. If you have any opportunities to ride any ones dh bike, do it. See what sizes you like best. Size does matter Wink lol

Posted: Jul 6, 2014 at 0:36 Quote
Beasthead741 wrote:
Personally I think that the bigger the bike, the easier it will be to rail over the rough stuff. And also it's a 30-40lb bike so it'll never be that hard to throw around haha. If you have any opportunities to ride any ones dh bike, do it. See what sizes you like best. Size does matter Wink lol

:o but, but, but my girlfriend says it doesn't and she loves me no matter what!!! :'(

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 3:53 Quote
I have a 'small' 15' 224 and love it. It handles brilliantly and really is a 'chuckable' bike. Do find it slightly slow or unstable at a very high speeds. When I had my 224 a lot of people were using them here in the UK had the larger version which I found slightly too big for me. I'm only 5'8. Not many have the 15' version but both bikes are fairly long anyway compared to most bikes.

The geometry changes on the smaller of the frames and you really do have limited options for the shock mount. On the large frame there is 6-8 different mounts that you can choose from, on the small you are limited to just the one place unless you get a smaller shock. Personally I've never bothered changing mine and instead played around with fork length/headset spacers to change the head angle. Whether that will be the same on the 223 I'm not sure.

Personally I'd take the risk and didn't regret going for the smaller frame. It's a lot easier to pack in the back of the car as well!

Posted: Jul 7, 2014 at 14:19 Quote
I'm 5'11 I had a 17"(large) 223 and found it was a not as chuck able as I wanted. I'd go for the 15 if I had the choice again

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009430
Mobile Version of Website