Amateur race uk

PB Forum :: Downhill
Amateur race uk
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 8, 2014 at 12:56 Quote
i have recentl got into dh, i am competent but not going to be breaking an records. i am in the north wales/ shropshire area, about 20 mins from llandegla, what would be the, slowest entry level class fairly local i could enter. thnks in advance. tom

Posted: Jul 8, 2014 at 17:11 Quote
Best thing to do is just get to any race bar a national. You'll encounter people of all ages and skill levels. Just do it!

Check out https://www.rootsandrain.com for a full list of events in the UK. OR you can go onto the BC website.

Racing categories go by age, excluding expert and elite.

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 2:57 Quote
cliffy615 wrote:
i have recentl got into dh, i am competent but not going to be breaking an records. i am in the north wales/ shropshire area, about 20 mins from llandegla, what would be the, slowest entry level class fairly local i could enter. thnks in advance. tom

Not too far from me then. I'd suggest a Farmer John's race over in Stockport. They are quite short tracks and push up only, but the tracks are fairly straightforward with only one difficult section with a 'carnage corner' thrown in every round. The races are really relaxed and gain lots of spectators cheering on riders of all levels, since it is so close to Stockport it generally gets loads of people showing up. They are also Regional B level which means they aren't big races and are really a good introduction to the race scene. If you are lucky Josh Bryceland may make an appearance as well, which is always a good laugh.

Another option is Pearce Cycles which are usually around Shropshire area, Bringewood, Hopton, Rhyd y Felin/Bala, Ludlow that kind of area. However these races are usually sold out in minutes and have riders who regularly top the national races. They are arguably the best run races in the country (I'd argue BDS are but that's another debate) and attract a full range of talent. However it can really shatter your confidence. I started racing at the Pearce rounds and finishing last by 10-15 seconds off second to last does nothing for you, especially if you are new to Downhill and racing like I was. Of course some people are naturally talented and I don't know your riding ability so you might be right up there! But it should be something to consider.

Another option is a Borderline Event race. These are held all over the country, though are mostly based around the North Wales region, Llangollen, Moelfre, Caersws, for example. They are classed as a regional A like the Pearce, but are usually a lot smaller events. The same company runs the Farmer John races as well. They are good fun and aren't taken as seriously as some other race series so definitely have more of a relaxed feel to it. I think there is a race in Llangollen at the end of August.

It's probably a bit late for you now to enter, but this weekend 12/13th July, there is the annual Antur Stiniog DH fest, which is held in Blaenau Ffestiniog, it's about 1 hour - 1 hour 30 from Wrexham, and is happening this weekend. It is a held on one of my favourite tracks ever and just a lot of fun. Because it is held on the Bike Park there which is open all year around, most people are entering their first race this weekend. I'd say it would be perfect, but whether you'd want to dive in so quickly, as it is a little last minute.

Personally I'd consider heading down on the Sunday to watch and then you can see what racing is about and get a feel for the race scene.

https://www.rootsandrain.com/calendar/#!/2014/gb/dh/

should give you an idea of what is on. Before you race though I would recommend heading down to one to spectate if you are a bit hesitant.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more advice.

Sorry for it being a pretty lengthy post, but I hopefully you find it helpful.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009392
Mobile Version of Website