Powered by Outside

Replacement for Maxxis Ardent - tore 2 sidewalls!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Replacement for Maxxis Ardent - tore 2 sidewalls!
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 2:59 Quote
Hi all,

I have been running a Maxxis Ardent 650B 2.25 EXO tyre on the back of my Bronson (with HR2 front) for a few months and love the performance of it. In terms of tread pattern and weight it is perfect for my riding.

I ride in a very dry and rocky (sharp rocks) environment (Barcelona area).
I have torn /cut the sidewall of 2 Arden's in the last 2 months!
I weight 85kg, run my rear tyre aroud 26-28PSI, and like to ride techy trails at decent speeds but nothing crazy.

Despite the fact that I love the performance of the tyre, after having torn 2 sidewalls against rocks in so little time I am thinking of switching to something else.
I dont mind changing brand, as long as I get similar performance and stronger sidewalls...

Which tyre would you suggest?

Cheers
Edoardo

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 6:41 Quote
I have been doing a bit of research and I found the following:

Hutchinson Toro - bit heavy but ok, possibly not as fast rolling as the ardent?
Mavic Roam XL - looks very good for treat pattern and sidewalls, but a bit thin! they only make 2.2 in 650B
Schwalbe Rock Razor - looks cool, but no grip on straight steap descents scares me a bit...

A combo I could consider is ardent 2.4 at the back (it has tougher sidewalls than the 2.25) and 2.4 HR2 front...but I never tried tyres that wide before...widest I have gone is HR2 2.35

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 7:41 Quote
metareal wrote:
I have been doing a bit of research and I found the following:

Hutchinson Toro - bit heavy but ok, possibly not as fast rolling as the ardent?
Mavic Roam XL - looks very good for treat pattern and sidewalls, but a bit thin! they only make 2.2 in 650B
Schwalbe Rock Razor - looks cool, but no grip on straight steap descents scares me a bit...

A combo I could consider is ardent 2.4 at the back (it has tougher sidewalls than the 2.25) and 2.4 HR2 front...but I never tried tyres that wide before...widest I have gone is HR2 2.35
The rock razor certainly grips more than you'd think in the dry at least. Unfortunately it's pretty weak in terms of the Pacestar version, ripped off the side knobs pretty darn quick. I think go with wider Maxxis, they don't really slow you down as much as you think, more a weight issue.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 8:03 Quote
Weight difference between the 2.35/2.25 and the 2.4 versions isnt that much at all actually (was surprised it was so little)...As far as their website says it should only be 50g more per tyre

The only thing that surprises me is that the 2.4 HR2 comes with the EXO sidewall protection but not TR (tubeless ready), which from what I was told makes the sidewalls even stiffer (I was advised to go with EXO/TR versions):
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-466-117-high-roller-ii

What's the general consensus on the 2.4" HR2's sidewalls?

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 11:31 Quote
metareal wrote:
Weight difference between the 2.35/2.25 and the 2.4 versions isnt that much at all actually (was surprised it was so little)...As far as their website says it should only be 50g more per tyre

The only thing that surprises me is that the 2.4 HR2 comes with the EXO sidewall protection but not TR (tubeless ready), which from what I was told makes the sidewalls even stiffer (I was advised to go with EXO/TR versions):
http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-466-117-high-roller-ii

What's the general consensus on the 2.4" HR2's sidewalls?

The 2.4 hr2 came out before the tr casings. The 2.3 hr2 with tr, does have a great casing. It's a bit smaller and a bit heavier than the 2.4.

Your tire pressures also seem a bit low for running tires that light. I would think 32psi minimum on the rear for anyone over 60kg.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 13:34 Quote
panaphonic wrote:

The 2.4 hr2 came out before the tr casings. The 2.3 hr2 with tr, does have a great casing. It's a bit smaller and a bit heavier than the 2.4.

Your tire pressures also seem a bit low for running tires that light. I would think 32psi minimum on the rear for anyone over 60kg.

Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering about the pressure too...

Would you say that the 2.4 hr2 have softer sidewalls than the 2.3 or are they just as strong? ...regardless of whether they are TR or not...

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 16:12 Quote
I wasn't aware that you could get a highroller2 2.3 that isn't TR or a 2.4 that is tr.

But from my experience, the hr2 2.3 tr has sidewalls noticeably stiffer/thicker than the 2.4 hr2 non-tr.

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 16:46 Quote
If you are willing to try it, try putting the hr2 in the rear, and a dhf in the front. I ride in a very rocky area as well(front range of Colorado), and the hr2 on the rear of my bronson has held up. I've sliced through tires(Continental, specialized, schwalbe) in the amount of time I've had these tires already.

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 22:33 Quote
HR2 on the back grips well, but rolls heavy. I'd go for Ardent 2,4 Exo 60A rear, and DHF 2,5 Exo/Spesh Butcher Control 2,3 front. For me one of the best combos so far.

Posted: Jul 9, 2014 at 22:59 Quote
k1313 wrote:
HR2 on the back grips well, but rolls heavy. I'd go for Ardent 2,4 Exo 60A rear, and DHF 2,5 Exo/Spesh Butcher Control 2,3 front. For me one of the best combos so far.

With an excellent tire like the 2.4 ardent on the rear, id say the butcher sx would be a better match. It would still be quite a fast rolling combo as well. The butcher control would better match with the 2.25 ardent.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 1:10 Quote
All great options, thanks!!

Still considering all alternatives:

Would a Spesh Purgatory 2.2 or 2.3 at the back be too light of a tyre for rough rocky trails on the Bronson?

What about a Hutchinson Toro at the back and Squale at the front? (heavier combo than what I have but looks pretty good from the reviews)

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 7:22 Quote
k1313 wrote:
HR2 on the back grips well, but rolls heavy. I'd go for Ardent 2,4 Exo 60A rear, and DHF 2,5 Exo/Spesh Butcher Control 2,3 front. For me one of the best combos so far.

Does the Maxxis Minion DHF even exist in 2.5 650B?!

I cant find it on Maxxis' website...

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 7:49 Quote
metareal wrote:
All great options, thanks!!

Still considering all alternatives:

Would a Spesh Purgatory 2.2 or 2.3 at the back be too light of a tyre for rough rocky trails on the Bronson?

What about a Hutchinson Toro at the back and Squale at the front? (heavier combo than what I have but looks pretty good from the reviews)

I really liked the purgatory as a rear tire. It really depends on your braking habits, but the spacing and shape of the tread lends itself to self destruct if you skid a lot. That being said, it grips great, and is a good tire. Just be ready for minimal traction when the tread wears.

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 10:40 Quote
Purgatory has thin sidewalls, definately to light for rear IMO, if you're tearing up Ardents don't go this way mate.
Conti Trailking Protection is also said to be good, similar to RQ which I had for some time on the rear, it was pretty good in dry conditions, beefy, high volume, likes skidding.

Previous Page | Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008969
Mobile Version of Website