AM/Enduro Rigs that can handle the Bike Park.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
AM/Enduro Rigs that can handle the Bike Park.
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 19:31 Quote
So im searching for that one bike that can do it all for next season. I mostly ride trail locally due to no uplift but do enjoy it when I can get away to Panorama, Fernie and Kicking Horse bike parks. I was looking at the NS Soda due to its adjustable travel between 150mm and 177mm travel. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I could get a good deal on a norco range (working at a shop) but would I be able to put a longer (170/180mm) forks on there without ruining the geo for park days? Would it be any good as a short(er) travel park rig?

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 20:34 Quote
Todays 160mm bikes have the geometry of yesterdays downhill bikes, but can still pedal up happily with there steep seat tube angles. Even so, once you go above 160mm, i feel pedalling starts go straight out the window. Incrementally of course, so with a 170mm bike your starting to push it but its still doable. Something like the NS Soda is going to be a heavy breathing sweat session for AM/Enduro, but awesome in the park. Those Norco Ranges are really nice bikes, and can definitely handle the bike park with some finesse, and pedal much better than a NS Soda. They make a NS Soda Air, a little more pedal friendly, but the geometry of that bikes is a freeride bike, not built for pedalling up.

Id go for:
Nukeproof Mega AM
Commencal Meta SX
Knolly Chilcotin
Devinci Spartan
Trek Slash
Norco Range

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:40 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Todays 160mm bikes have the geometry of yesterdays downhill bikes, but can still pedal up happily with there steep seat tube angles. Even so, once you go above 160mm, i feel pedalling starts go straight out the window. Incrementally of course, so with a 170mm bike your starting to push it but its still doable. Something like the NS Soda is going to be a heavy breathing sweat session for AM/Enduro, but awesome in the park. Those Norco Ranges are really nice bikes, and can definitely handle the bike park with some finesse, and pedal much better than a NS Soda. They make a NS Soda Air, a little more pedal friendly, but the geometry of those bikes is a freeride bike, not built for pedalling up.

Id go for:
Nukeproof Mega AM
Commencal Meta SX
Knolly Chilcotin
Devinci Spartan
Trek Slash
Norco Range

Thanks bud. It was the soda air I was looking at. I figured 160 was the magic number for a reason.

Posted: Jul 22, 2014 at 21:44 Quote
Its just as much about the geometry, as it is about the suspension.

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 0:13 Quote
Devinci spartan
Santa Cruz nomad
Kona process 167
Specialized enduro 650b
Specialized enduro evo
Are all new bikes that have bike park written all over them!

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 1:18 Quote
Another one or the Nukeproof Mega AM, 160mm each end with Pikes up front. I'm biased though as I own one

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 2:45 Quote
Process 153 or 167, don't bother with my dh bike since I got the 153

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 4:32 Quote
Get a cube fritzz 160 27.5" or the 180 26" both pedal amazingly and would handle a park with ease

Posted: Jul 23, 2014 at 5:24 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Its just as much about the geometry, as it is about the suspension.
Yeah I understand that, it was more of a general observation of the market Smile Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 1:35 Quote
In order of importance for climbing
1. Suspension
2. Geo
3. Weight

I say this because I tested an enduro sworks that is 26lbs and my bike which is 34lbs climbed better

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 4:21 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
So im searching for that one bike that can do it all for next season. I mostly ride trail locally due to no uplift but do enjoy it when I can get away to Panorama, Fernie and Kicking Horse bike parks. I was looking at the NS Soda due to its adjustable travel between 150mm and 177mm travel. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I could get a good deal on a norco range (working at a shop) but would I be able to put a longer (170/180mm) forks on there without ruining the geo for park days? Would it be any good as a short(er) travel park rig?

how often you looking at hitting the park up? if you're gonna be riding locally like 5+ times a month, but doing the bike park the odd day here or there just a few times a year I'd settle for 160mm max, even a "stocky" 150mm. you can always run a second heavy duty wheel set with massive 2.5in+ tires at the park. you'll still enjoy the park days but wont hate your regular rides.

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 8:08 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
arnie86 wrote:

how often you looking at hitting the park up? if you're gonna be riding locally like 5+ times a month, but doing the bike park the odd day here or there just a few times a year I'd settle for 160mm max, even a "stocky" 150mm. you can always run a second heavy duty wheel set with massive 2.5in+ tires at the park. you'll still enjoy the park days but wont hate your regular rides.

Probably 5 to 10 days a season. Im a light guy (150lbs). I planned on at least a second set of tires depending on how durable the stock wheelset was, different rotors and maybe a coil shock.

With regard to the norco range, i was wondering anyones thoughts on this mod

Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 10:26 Quote
arnie86 wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
arnie86 wrote:

Probably 5 to 10 days a season. Im a light guy (150lbs). I planned on at least a second set of tires depending on how durable the stock wheelset was, different rotors and maybe a coil shock.

With regard to the norco range, i was wondering anyones thoughts on this mod

That bb height is way to high......
I imagine that bike would feel extremely top heavy. that's the downside with doing modifications like this. You might improve something but really screw something else up big time

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009515
Mobile Version of Website