Dot5 saint bleed

PB Forum :: Shimano
Dot5 saint bleed
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2014 at 17:20 Quote
So bleeding brakes is next to brainless...or so I surmised..then I bled my saints with Dot5 fluid because that's what I used on the avids I used to own no matter that it clearly says "mineral oil" right on the cylinder head. Anyway this starts my story. Approximately three weeks after bleeding with the Dot5 I notice Dot5 leaking from my cylinder head and my brakes getting less effective. I thought to myself "crap I used the wrong fluid" immediately. So I called the shop who quickly suggested a new brake. I look on forums for a fix to no avail. I then took out the Dot5. Flushed the system with alcohol (not the Glen Levit type) and let it air dry with both ends open over night. The next morning I blew it out with compressed from the caliper to the top and refilled with the proper shimano mineral oil (I tried to get away with OTC mineral oil but decided to use that for a nice dump and buy the redulously overpriced "specially formulated" shimano type cause I like that it's pink and I already screwed the pooch on this project once). Breaks were about 30% after this bleed but they eventually failed a day or two later. I bleed again and again. Tried to find replacement gaskets without success ( I mean why should shimano make replacement parts for stupid people?). After a solid week of problem solving I ran into a guy completely unrelated to biking who said he makes his own gaskets with liquid gaskets for everything. So at my wits end in a last ditch effort to save a $250 pair of brakes I tried it. HOLY ***T! It worked. My brakes are restored! I'm a fricken genius in a dumbass sorta way! I wanted to share it here if there is by chance anyone else out there who is trying to avoid breaking the bank due to similar circumstance. Don't believe your friendly local bike mechanic who is well intentioned but possesses an inherent conflict of interest. The stuff I used is AVR silicone gasket maker. Sorry for the saga but that's what it's been!Smile good luck!

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 19:27 Quote
Please don't listen to the brake advise given by "dirty the sanchez".
It is some of the WORST brake fixing advise I have ever heard.
Following his advise may kill you because of brake failure.
If you use the wrong fluid in your brakes, admit your mistake, realize that the wrong fluid will permanently damage your brakes and get new brakes. End of story.
"Dirty the sanchez " has put this terrible brake advise in a few places on pink bike.
Be aware he may be a sadistic sociopath.
Please follow your brake manufacturers guidelines for proper maintenance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010570
Mobile Version of Website