Am I making a mistake?

• Next Page
Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
You are so lucky to live somewhere that they have rentals! Make sure they set the suspension up for your weight and remember tire pressure is important for us bigger guys too! Have a blast.....
BiggieBiker wrote:
Awesome responses guys.. Some great information coming in. I think I'm going to head out to hood river and rent a bronson out there to test before I really hit that jumping off point. Up to now I've only rode the bronson out of the shop on the roads. My riding rental will go into my bike purchase so that's a plus.

Thanks for all the info.. Making my choice a lot easier.

Posted: Jul 28, 2014 at 19:38 Quote
BiggieBiker wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:
BiggieBiker wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.. I've been hesitant on going carbon but I'm heavily considering it
Carbon is stronger than Alloy. Have you seen Santa Cruz test their frames? The alloy ones always break way before the carbon version, in the last bit of the vid (I'll try find it) They take a carbon front triangle and bash it against a concrete wall, everyone has a go and they can't hurt it.

I saw that video and it was impressive. I've just heard some comments in threads that made it seem like it wasn't as strong as suggested. I called a guy at my local shop and he said the frames have even gotten stronger since that last video.

I hate seeing that argument. They always comment on carbon snapping/breaking and making a huge deal about it like alloy never breaks. There's a reason that they make pretty much every part, in every other performance equipment based sport (Motor racing, Americas cup, F1, ect ect,) because it's the best material to use.
Sure you can buy cheap carbon, but you can also go to a supermarket and buy a pos cheap "alloy" bike and watch it snap as soon as you look at it, same deal, you get what you pay for.
Santa Cruz gives you some seriously good carbon for your money, I would take the carbon frame any day of the week.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 10:14 Quote
fatboy163 wrote:
You are so lucky to live somewhere that they have rentals! Make sure they set the suspension up for your weight and remember tire pressure is important for us bigger guys too! Have a blast.....
BiggieBiker wrote:
Awesome responses guys.. Some great information coming in. I think I'm going to head out to hood river and rent a bronson out there to test before I really hit that jumping off point. Up to now I've only rode the bronson out of the shop on the roads. My riding rental will go into my bike purchase so that's a plus.

Thanks for all the info.. Making my choice a lot easier.

Thanks bro.. I'll make sure there's some air under this belly lol

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 12:14 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
BiggieBiker wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

Carbon is stronger than Alloy. Have you seen Santa Cruz test their frames? The alloy ones always break way before the carbon version, in the last bit of the vid (I'll try find it) They take a carbon front triangle and bash it against a concrete wall, everyone has a go and they can't hurt it.

I saw that video and it was impressive. I've just heard some comments in threads that made it seem like it wasn't as strong as suggested. I called a guy at my local shop and he said the frames have even gotten stronger since that last video.

I hate seeing that argument. They always comment on carbon snapping/breaking and making a huge deal about it like alloy never breaks. There's a reason that they make pretty much every part, in every other performance equipment based sport (Motor racing, Americas cup, F1, ect ect,) because it's the best material to use.
Sure you can buy cheap carbon, but you can also go to a supermarket and buy a pos cheap "alloy" bike and watch it snap as soon as you look at it, same deal, you get what you pay for.
Santa Cruz gives you some seriously good carbon for your money, I would take the carbon frame any day of the week.

Yeah dude to me it sounds like carbon would be a no brainer as far as strength but people just made it seem was a waste because of the cracking. Being new to the biking world I've definitely explored both sides. Having a carbon frame under a 300lb dude would most definitely be better for the longevity.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 12:32 Quote
Bronson is a great all around bike as are stumpjumpers which I've seen a bunch of for sale in the buy/sell section here on pinkbike. Might be able to save a few thousand bucks by picking up a one or two year old bike used.

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 at 0:02 Quote
Carbon is the way to go for sure. Only thing that might get ya is if you don't maintain it, it may develop some noises. Seems like every person with a carbon bike I've ridden with has some sort of creek.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012274
Mobile Version of Website