Jeep General Discussion

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Jeep General Discussion
Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 18:52 Quote
I'll just say that while you may think it's fine if that's what you got from the get go then yes it would seem fine. As soon as you regear to a proper ratio you realize how bad it used to be. Went from 3.73s on 33s with my V8 grand cherokee to 4.56s on the same 33s and what a difference, better on the highway, better in town, just better in every way possible. Don't think it's okay just cause it can be done, there's a reason people consider it a big upgrade on a vehicle with bigger wheels

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 18:57 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:
I tell you, 33's are fine on stock gears!
Are you positive you have stock 3.07s?

I have 3.55's stock and they are perfectly fine. Re gearing it when I go bigger, but I dd it right now 0 issues.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:03 Quote
ritchierich wrote:
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:
I tell you, 33's are fine on stock gears!

I have 3.55's stock and they are perfectly fine. Re gearing it when I go bigger, but I dd it right now 0 issues.
3.55s weren't stock on that though. 3.07s were stock. I have 3.07s, which are even bigger of a difference.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:07 Quote
thebillygoat6000 wrote:
I'll just say that while you may think it's fine if that's what you got from the get go then yes it would seem fine. As soon as you regear to a proper ratio you realize how bad it used to be. Went from 3.73s on 33s with my V8 grand cherokee to 4.56s on the same 33s and what a difference, better on the highway, better in town, just better in every way possible. Don't think it's okay just cause it can be done, there's a reason people consider it a big upgrade on a vehicle with bigger wheels

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:10 Quote
4.56 would be ideal for running 33s. Or 4.88 if you think you will move up to maybe 35 or something.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:12 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:
bryandickson wrote:

3.55s weren't stock on that though. 3.07s were stock. I have 3.07s, which are even bigger of a difference.

3.55's were stock with the auto trans which is why I thought I had 3.07's. I had my axles apart last weekend and I have 3.55's. So ya maybe 3.07's on 33's would suck lol.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:19 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
The 270,000kms is what was putting me off. I didn't know it had that many kms when I started thinking about it. That is almost double the kms on my Cherokee!
270,000 is nothing for those 4.0's. Ours was 450,000+ before I wrote it off. Still runs actually. LOL. Could not kill.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:20 Quote
ritchierich wrote:
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

3.55's were stock with the auto trans which is why I thought I had 3.07's. I had my axles apart last weekend and I have 3.55's. So ya maybe 3.07's on 33's would suck lol.
You do have a Standard though, correct?

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:31 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:
bryandickson wrote:

yep they had to have been swapped in.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:35 Quote
recklessness wrote:
bryandickson wrote:
The 270,000kms is what was putting me off. I didn't know it had that many kms when I started thinking about it. That is almost double the kms on my Cherokee!
270,000 is nothing for those 4.0's. Ours was 450,000+ before I wrote it off. Still runs actually. LOL. Could not kill.

This is where i run into my problems lol. I have beat the piss out of mine and the engine is mint and I f*ck everything else lol. Rebuilt suspension, my axles are sub par for wheeling, driveshaft issues, etc.

Im going 4 link long arm in the spring, and full 44's.

You should chop your roof, cage it, and wheel the buggy haha!

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:41 Quote
ritchierich wrote:
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

Ahh okay. Yeah you would be better off than me. It would be enough of a difference from 3.07s to make 33s okay. If I do get this job then I'll probably do a 4.5" lift and 31s until I can afford to regear or axle swap it.

If I still have the Cherokee once I start working a fulltime job and such, hopefully welding, then I'd probably turn it into a trail rig. Chop the roof, 38s-40s, depends. 1 ton axles and such. Would be sick. But who knows if I will or not, I can keep dreaming though lol

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:46 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
ritchierich wrote:
bryandickson wrote:

Ahh okay. Yeah you would be better off than me. It would be enough of a difference from 3.07s to make 33s okay. If I do get this job then I'll probably do a 4.5" lift and 31s until I can afford to regear or axle swap it.

If I still have the Cherokee once I start working a fulltime job and such, hopefully welding, then I'll probably turn it into a trail rig. Chop the roof, 38s-40s, depends. 1 ton axles and such. Would be sick.

Ive been contemplating a roof chop but it looks wonky on a 2 door. the 4 door chops look way cleaner i think. Plus you need a solid solid cage, my unibody flexes like a mother f*cker as is i couldnt imagine with no roof. Ive seen guys wheel there xj's with no cage and no doors in the states, it must literally bend the f*ck out of them.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:48 Quote
Yeah a full cage would 100% be needed. I find the opposite though. I like the 2 doors chopped way more than 4 doors.

You can get add ons that strengthen the unibody, so it won't flex as bad when your wheeling also. But I wouldn't run no doors on a Cherokee.
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz297/toplessxj89/100_1726.jpg

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:51 Quote
that ones proper, looks pretty clean. Ive just seen to many bastardized two door chops.

Posted: Sep 22, 2014 at 19:53 Quote
ritchierich wrote:
that ones proper, looks pretty clean. Ive just seen to many bastardized two door chops.
True. I've seen plenty of ugly ones, that one is super nice though, love it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007892
Mobile Version of Website