YT Capra Owners

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 11:03 Quote
You could buy a new seat stay to hold you over.

damageandy wrote:
Had mine 4 months do i like it? Yes

Would i buy another? NO, way

The bike itself rides great, its AL Comp 1.

Two an faults 1. carbon seat stays that would be stronger if made from paper mache. 2. YT as a company

My seat stay shattered and cracked 3/4 of the way round from a no joke 5mph over the bars accident, i was tootling down not concentrateing looking at the view and went over the bars. Bike must have landed on a rock and good bye seat stay. Pretty much the lamest crash ive ever had, i was laughing pretty bad until i picked the bike up.

Gets worst, contact YT (painful process in itself) inform them send pictures and tell them im flying to Morzine in 19 days so needed sorting as soon as possible, in hindsight this was probably a mistake.

There response, send the full frame and broken seat stay to them and it wont be back in time for your flight or buy a replacement and that is the end of it, you cant claim warranty on it. Nice one YT.

Not interested in seeing the broken item on its own or seeing the frame and seat stay after i get back.

Going to have to cut up an old tyre and wrap it around the seat stays now and hope a small fall or even a rock strike wont break the new one.

So yeah might save a few pounds on purchase price but it will cost more in the long run, a mail order company from abroad wont give a toss if they can get owt of warranty claim they will. Ill be buying from a local shop from now on atleast then you know you can speak to someone face to face if you have an issue and you know your own countrys consumer rights.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 11:16 Quote
@chrisingrassia

Ive had to buy one, as it says i fly to morzine so i had no choice, its not to hold me over they wont accept me sending the frame and broken seat stay back after i return.

The choice they gave me, send full frame off and you wont have a bike for morzine or buy a saet stay and thats the end of it - no future claim, they basically blackmailed me, i had no oher choice but to buy it or go to morzine with no bike.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 11:59 Quote
damageandy wrote:
@chrisingrassia

Ive had to buy one, as it says i fly to morzine so i had no choice, its not to hold me over they wont accept me sending the frame and broken seat stay back after i return.

The choice they gave me, send full frame off and you wont have a bike for morzine or buy a saet stay and thats the end of it - no future claim, they basically blackmailed me, i had no oher choice but to buy it or go to morzine with no bike.

Did you try to use the crash replacement policy or say it was a warranty issue. I don't see why they should exchange it under warranty because you crashed. If I crashed and broke a part I would use the crash replacement scheme look where I am going in future and stop bitching.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 12:29 Quote
Writing from my sofa, high on red wine and codine, I can confirm that you were particularly unlucky to break a stay like that. On Sunday the wind caught me and I ragdolled out of a 1.5m drop and apart from paint scratches, bar ends, and snapped QRs there was nothing wrong with my bike. I had the brake levers so far down they smacked the top tube as they spun around and didn't even leave a dent. Scotland is basically pure bedrock too.... Bike took it like a champ (wish I could say the same about my ribs lol).

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 13:20 Quote
ads72 wrote:
damageandy wrote:
@chrisingrassia

Did you try to use the crash replacement policy or say it was a warranty issue. I don't see why they should exchange it under warranty because you crashed. If I crashed and broke a part I would use the crash replacement scheme look where I am going in future and stop bitching.

Funny & I agree - this complaint was his only post so far on PB and doesn't have a country listed.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 13:58 Quote
ads72 wrote:
damageandy wrote:
@chrisingrassia

I wanted them to inspect it - no bike part should break from that kind of impact. I offered to buy a replacement and send the origanal back for them to look at, i offered to buy one and send everything back after i get back - all declined.

The fact that dont want to see the broken part says everything - they dont care why it broke.

Its a mountain bike if it cant take a minor crash (one where i didnt have mark on me and where the bike only had one mark - where it cracked) then in my eyes i think it may have had an underlying fault.

If it was a big or bad crash then fair enough, ive broke plenty of parts and havn't "bitched" because its expected.

Also if people stop bitching about things breaking when they shouldn't they we will just end up with shit products that cant do what they are marketed as, but dont let that get in your way passively trying to be a dick to someone on the internet

brotherluke wrote:
Writing from my sofa, high on red wine and codine, I can confirm that you were particularly unlucky to break a stay like that. On Sunday the wind caught me and I ragdolled out of a 1.5m drop and apart from paint scratches, bar ends, and snapped QRs there was nothing wrong with my bike. I had the brake levers so far down they smacked the top tube as they spun around and didn't even leave a dent. Scotland is basically pure bedrock too.... Bike took it like a champ (wish I could say the same about my ribs lol).

Maybe i just got really unlucky then, and get well soon mate, i have felt your pain with broken ribs before.

@endlessblockades

We've all got to start somewhere and capra thread while serahcing for others with broken capras is a good place to start, very sorry if being a new user makes me inferior in some way. I am from The UK

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 at 15:57 Quote
I did something very similar with a titanium Stanton hardtail. Total innocuous fall at stupidly slow speed, but I must have hit a particularly pointy rock right on the seatstay, making it a write off. Ended up claiming on my house insurance for a crash replacement. It was all sorted and money in my account within an hour. Perhaps you can do the same for the seatstay replacement retrospectively?

Sometimes it doesn't matter what the material is...you just get really unlucky mate and companies have their own policies/terms and conditions that you have to adhere to. Shit I know, but it's the way of it sometimes.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 0:49 Quote
TBH it sounds like the issues you have are mostly related to the distance selling model that you bought into. Although in my experience you'd have been lucky to get a replacement part from some manufacturers under that timescale from your LBS as well.

A sharp impact on a carbon stay from a height runs the risk of serious damage. It's the nature of carbon. Saying 'no bike part should break from that kind of impact' holds no water with me unless it's from an expert in the field of carbon impact analysis.

It seems like the issues you had aren't really the fault of YT, more risks you took when electing to go for a carbon bike under the direct sales model TBF.

Although on the other hand the 'If you buy a replacement, you won't get a warranty' thing is pretty wank.

I am sympathetic, but it does sound like you were just unlucky with the crash and timing of it. Frown

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 5:39 Quote
Any pictures of this damaged part available so that we may be able to cast our non-expert eyes over it?

Or it didn't happen Razz

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 10:10 Quote
Hello to everyone.

The past month I received my brand new capra and it is awsome!!!

I have a doubt about the spares parts, I bought another mech hanger just in case and unfortunately i had to use it the last week, now I´m looking for another mech hanger but the cheapest one that i can see is 26€ (Shipping included) in the yt page meanwhile the price of the one that i got with the bike was 6€!!!
do you known somewhere where i can get the mech with a reasonable price?

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 13:08 Quote
Sie11 wrote:
Hello to everyone.

The past month I received my brand new capra and it is awsome!!!

I have a doubt about the spares parts, I bought another mech hanger just in case and unfortunately i had to use it the last week, now I´m looking for another mech hanger but the cheapest one that i can see is 26€ (Shipping included) in the yt page meanwhile the price of the one that i got with the bike was 6€!!!
do you known somewhere where i can get the mech with a reasonable price?
Yep..take it to a shop with a 3D printer..cheap as Jamon seranò!!

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 15:02 Quote
bboyes wrote:
hey guys, can anyone confirm if the 160mm fox 36s on the pro races are in fact 180mm model that have been travel reduced? Yt seem to think they are, I just want to be certain before I pull them apart to set them to 170mm... cheers!

Would be interested to know this as well

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 15:30 Quote
[Quote="Max90"]
bboyes wrote:
hey guys, can anyone confirm if the 160mm fox 36s on the pro races are in fact 180mm model that have been travel reduced? Yt seem to think they are, I just want to be certain before I pull them apart to set them to 170mm... cheers!

Would be interested to know this as well[/Quo team]

Pretty sure they are. I got offered a set a while ago and they lowered them from 180mm to 170mm for me. I've heard if you have 160's you can't up the travel...if you have 180's you can reduce travel to 170 or 160.
I stand corrected though

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 at 21:07 Quote
i have taken some heavy crashes on my Al Comp 1 and my carbon seatstays only have minor wear and is holding up beautifully. took one big slam and snapped my dearailer hanger. called yt and paid for it and had it in two days. always have excellent service, always answer the phone and try to help with issues.

on another note. switched stems and spaces and grease got rid of the slight clicking/creeking sound coming from the headset area

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2016 at 0:58 Quote
I am going to be getting a new Hope BB for my Capra Pro Race (current ones creaking is doing my head in). Does anyone know which one i need from hope? link would help please.. im not very good with all these BB standards Frown Frown

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029777
Mobile Version of Website