YT Capra Owners

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 8:25 Quote
Hey Guys and Girls,

I recently picked up a 2016 Capra AL comp 1 in XL frame size and even after changing to a 125mm dropper post I have to admit it's too big in that I don't have enough clearance around the saddle when it's fully dropped. The reach is fine and with the 125mm post pedalling is fine. It's just the saddle is a bit in the way.

There is a large 2016 CF Comp frame going for sale and I wondered how difficult would it be to just transfer the parts to the CF frame? Would they all just fit with no extra messing around? I don't mind doing the work etc but I'd like to not have to buy extra stuff if possible.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 8:27 Quote
motoxxxer26 wrote:
Burly 29er with a Capra pedigree please!!!

I reckon that could be on cards too.....sometime

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 9:34 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
Hey Guys and Girls,

I recently picked up a 2016 Capra AL comp 1 in XL frame size and even after changing to a 125mm dropper post I have to admit it's too big in that I don't have enough clearance around the saddle when it's fully dropped. The reach is fine and with the 125mm post pedalling is fine. It's just the saddle is a bit in the way.

There is a large 2016 CF Comp frame going for sale and I wondered how difficult would it be to just transfer the parts to the CF frame? Would they all just fit with no extra messing around? I don't mind doing the work etc but I'd like to not have to buy extra stuff if possible.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

I have a Capra AL in large, I'd be willing to swap?

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
dhmoose wrote:
toby9843 wrote:
Hey Guys and Girls,

Any thoughts?

Cheers

That could work mate. Same year etc? I am sending my shock off tomorrow for servicing and picking it up while I'm down at the forest of dean racing my DH bike next weekend. So if we did it it'd be after that mate. I guess leaving in things like headsets and BB's would be easiest huh? I'm deffo interested mate as I really like the bike and the spec etc.

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 9:56 Quote
toby9843 wrote:
dhmoose wrote:
toby9843 wrote:
Hey Guys and Girls,

Any thoughts?

Cheers

That could work mate. Same year etc? I am sending my shock off tomorrow for servicing and picking it up while I'm down at the forest of dean racing my DH bike next weekend. So if we did it it'd be after that mate. I guess leaving in things like headsets and BB's would be easiest huh? I'm deffo interested mate as I really like the bike and the spec etc.

Yes mate, the yellow framed one, bought it at the end of last year. I'm in Hampshire, so not a million miles away. Sounds good, drop me a PM with your email and we can chat there. I'm well up for sorting this.

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 10:10 Quote
I think a eCapra with boost is on da' way....

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 10:39 Quote
toby9843 wrote:

swap the post from a reverb to a bikeyoke revive and gain approx 2 cm or so in added space between the seat and your nether regions when dropped, as well as getting a superior post. In practice this is not that far off sizing down one size seat tube lengthwise. I recently swapped from a medium to large capra to get a bit extra reach and got a revive so that i would not have to modify the frame and maintain approx the same seat height as with the medium.

Funnily enough i got a capra now due to me not wanting any updated/"upgraded" standards such as boost or internal wiring. I really enjoy the capra Smile That being said, i'm looking forward to seeing the new bike Smile

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 13:51 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
wilfred2551 wrote:
Anyone fitted SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed Groupset on their Capra??? Does it fit ok? Did you have to use any spacers on BB?? CRC got the groupset down to £300 now

The CRC offered complete GX eagle groupset is no good because the cranks are GXP. Thats a 24mm axle with down step to 22mm on non drive side. For Capra you Ideally want the Sram crankset that has BB30 axle and the correct width PF30 BB to go with it.

I used this Hope BB but SRAM/Truvativ does make a normal "cheap" option as well.

Whether you need to modify something on the BB depends on what you currently have there. I had the old old Raceface turbine with 24mm axle (X-type) and their PF30 to X-type adaptor BB so I had to swap it all. If you currently got the 1x11 Sram crankset with 30mm axle you don't need to do anything to the BB. If you got the new RF cinch stuff or e13 stuff that YT used to put on there, or even the old X-type stuff that I had you'll need to get a new BB as well.

It might be possible to botch GXP crankset onto a PF30 BB shell using some BB adapter set, but I have no experience with that.

Clear as mud, eh?

//edit: other than the above Eagle works fine on Capra. Beware the loooooooong RD cage though. Managed to bent mine with a loose tree branch on first ride Really Mad

//edit2: so using the Hope PF46 BB for 24mm axles and these Hope GXP adapters it should be possible to use GXP crankset on Capra
Cheers Ferisco for the details. I was looking into it over the weekend. I already have the 1x11 setup on my capra, and looking at the gearing ratios, the current 11 gears are all the same as Eagle, except for 50 tooth 1st gear. So it was like £300-350 for one extra gear with Eagle setup. Or spend £30 and get a 30T chainring, instead of 32T currently fitted. The next bike i buy will have Eagle fitted though for sure. The 500% range would be good to have. Cheers dude!

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 13:51 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
wilfred2551 wrote:
Anyone fitted SRAM GX Eagle 12 speed Groupset on their Capra??? Does it fit ok? Did you have to use any spacers on BB?? CRC got the groupset down to £300 now

The CRC offered complete GX eagle groupset is no good because the cranks are GXP. Thats a 24mm axle with down step to 22mm on non drive side. For Capra you Ideally want the Sram crankset that has BB30 axle and the correct width PF30 BB to go with it.

I used this Hope BB but SRAM/Truvativ does make a normal "cheap" option as well.

Whether you need to modify something on the BB depends on what you currently have there. I had the old old Raceface turbine with 24mm axle (X-type) and their PF30 to X-type adaptor BB so I had to swap it all. If you currently got the 1x11 Sram crankset with 30mm axle you don't need to do anything to the BB. If you got the new RF cinch stuff or e13 stuff that YT used to put on there, or even the old X-type stuff that I had you'll need to get a new BB as well.

It might be possible to botch GXP crankset onto a PF30 BB shell using some BB adapter set, but I have no experience with that.

Clear as mud, eh?

//edit: other than the above Eagle works fine on Capra. Beware the loooooooong RD cage though. Managed to bent mine with a loose tree branch on first ride Really Mad

//edit2: so using the Hope PF46 BB for 24mm axles and these Hope GXP adapters it should be possible to use GXP crankset on Capra

you don't need a gxp crankset to run eagle so u can use ur previous 1x cranks and sell the crankset on.

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 14:01 Quote
rad-kona wrote:
Ferisko wrote:
wilfred2551 wrote:

Clear as mud, eh?

you don't need a gxp crankset to run eagle so u can use ur previous 1x cranks and sell the crankset on.

Yeah i did read somewhere you dont actually need the crankset, ive already got the 1 x Raceface cinch, which i really like. SRAM reckon that Eagle runs smoother/ quieter with their cranks and weird tooth shape........But its still a lot of cash to upgrade to Eagle cassette, rear mech and shifter, just for 1 extra gear. Cant decide......

Posted: Nov 26, 2017 at 16:19 Quote
I doubt a Capra 29 is coming. YTs downhill and freeride roots are against 29ers. I was told new dirt jumpers on the way, so the carbon slope might be released. Maybe a new dirt love, perhaps in aluminum? But I feel like the new Capra is just going to be longer lower slacker.

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 0:35 Quote
wilfred2551 wrote:
rad-kona wrote:
Ferisko wrote:

Clear as mud, eh?

Yeah i did read somewhere you dont actually need the crankset, ive already got the 1 x Raceface cinch, which i really like. SRAM reckon that Eagle runs smoother/ quieter with their cranks and weird tooth shape........But its still a lot of cash to upgrade to Eagle cassette, rear mech and shifter, just for 1 extra gear. Cant decide......

There's an 11 speed cassette 11-50 available as another option.

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 5:35 Quote
Sold my Capra today, went for a Transition Patrol.

I'm sorry to betray you all x

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 8:14 Quote
ChrisTunn wrote:
Sold my Capra today, went for a Transition Patrol.

I'm sorry to betray you all x

My mate sold his 15 Nomad to get a Patrol, and he loves it.
I’d be interested to hear how it compares to the Capra, because, as far as I’m concerned, nothing comes close to my Goat.
DaveBig Grin

Posted: Nov 27, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
gramboh wrote:
I'm pretty confident that YT will be releasing a slightly revised Capra frame for 2018 with 170mm rear wheel travel, revised geometry (longer reach), boost spacing and specing up to 180mm forks. 650b wheelsize for sure, did not hear anything about 29er.

Reliable source which I will not reveal of course Smile

180 for sure. I'm looking at the upcoming DVO Onyx SC for my old Piker Capra. Bad idea? It's only about .8 inch difference, right? My Pike is tired and wants to go out to pasture on another fam member's bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026394
Mobile Version of Website