YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 19:47 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
dunkmoo wrote:
How many clicks of rebound is the super deluxe rc3 supposed to have? Mine has 9 but the final 3 from open are really tight to get! I have to get both hands on and struggle to turn it! I'm wondering if it's arrived faulty and needs to go back to YT.

Mine is the same, I run the rebound 3 clicks from turtle.

Exactly the same over here, 3 clicks from turtle.

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 21:21 Quote
gramboh wrote:
giantrideryyc wrote:
If you had to compare the specs on the following YT bikes with the comparable Giant Reign bikes where would they line up:

2018 YT CAPRA 27 CF PRO
2018 YT CAPRA 27 CF
2018 YT CAPRA 27 AL COMP

For example, is the 2018 YT CAPRA 27 AL COMP ($4050 CAD) spec'd out similarly or most closely with the Giant Reign SX ($4700 CAD)?

I realize there are technical and performance differences between the two. I am just trying to understand price point better and I am not familiar with pricing on raceface and e*thirteen, etc.

Also, if money isn't an issue, where the bet deal / most value / best resale price on the Capra? To me it looks like the CF PRO or the AL COMP. Thoughts?

YT is a better value/spec for the money in Canada than Giant. In 2016/2017 Giant was very comparable but they upped their prices a bit this year while YT actually dropped prices on some models.

The Giants are still good value, but YT beats them. Obviously with Giant you get bike shop support versus dealing with YT Canada over the phone/email which is hit or miss to say the least. IMO the Capra is a superior bike to the Reign especially if you need to climb for your descents.

As a recent owner of a 2018 Capra Pro, I wish I would've supported a local bike shop. My frame cracked due to a quality issue (all of which I am okay with, sht happens) and I still do not have a date for a new frame (going on my second month of waiting). My bike was delivered on June 7th and my warranty claim was submitted June 16th. 9 days....

I am not upset about the bike failing. These situations happen and it is unfortunate for both parties. I am upset that YT has left themselves zero deficiency units across the EU/Canada, for the purposes of warranty. Dealing with YT Canada has been extremely hit or miss. YT will not buy my bike back. My situation is unique (and for your knowledge, YT has told me my situation is unique for them) but you might as well hear about some of the bad because this thread mainly rains down the good (rightly so, I did enjoy my Capra for the short while I had it).

My 2018 L CF Pro Capra, Blood Red, will be for sale when the frame is replaced (if anyone is interested, what a sales pitch!)

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 21:30 Quote
TW138 wrote:
gramboh wrote:
giantrideryyc wrote:
If you had to compare the specs on the following YT bikes with the comparable Giant Reign bikes where would they line up:

2018 YT CAPRA 27 CF PRO
2018 YT CAPRA 27 CF
2018 YT CAPRA 27 AL COMP

For example, is the 2018 YT CAPRA 27 AL COMP ($4050 CAD) spec'd out similarly or most closely with the Giant Reign SX ($4700 CAD)?

I realize there are technical and performance differences between the two. I am just trying to understand price point better and I am not familiar with pricing on raceface and e*thirteen, etc.

Also, if money isn't an issue, where the bet deal / most value / best resale price on the Capra? To me it looks like the CF PRO or the AL COMP. Thoughts?

YT is a better value/spec for the money in Canada than Giant. In 2016/2017 Giant was very comparable but they upped their prices a bit this year while YT actually dropped prices on some models.

The Giants are still good value, but YT beats them. Obviously with Giant you get bike shop support versus dealing with YT Canada over the phone/email which is hit or miss to say the least. IMO the Capra is a superior bike to the Reign especially if you need to climb for your descents.

As a recent owner of a 2018 Capra Pro, I wish I would've supported a local bike shop. My frame cracked due to a quality issue (all of which I am okay with, sht happens) and I still do not have a date for a new frame (going on my second month of waiting). My bike was delivered on June 7th and my warranty claim was submitted June 16th. 9 days....

I am not upset about the bike failing. These situations happen and it is unfortunate for both parties. I am upset that YT has left themselves zero deficiency units across the EU/Canada, for the purposes of warranty. Dealing with YT Canada has been extremely hit or miss. YT will not buy my bike back. My situation is unique (and for your knowledge, YT has told me my situation is unique for them) but you might as well hear about some of the bad because this thread mainly rains down the good (rightly so, I did enjoy my Capra for the short while I had it).

My 2018 L CF Pro Capra, Blood Red, will be for sale when the frame is replaced (if anyone is interested, what a sales pitch!)
sorry to hear that! Keep us posted how it goes. I just cracked my tues frame two weeks ago....been waiting to hear when that will be replaced too.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 2:22 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
TW138 wrote:
gramboh wrote:

sorry to hear that! Keep us posted how it goes. I just cracked my tues frame two weeks ago....been waiting to hear when that will be replaced too.

How did you manage that? And how much are they charging for new frame?

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 4:28 Quote
So I've received my bikes last week, unboxed it friday and rode it yesterday, so let's go for my first impressions. The bike is a Capra CF 27 in XL in white and red and I'm coming off a Radon Swoop 170.

Well packed, nothing to say. I saw that some people got some tools (torque wrench, shock pump, ...) and other did not, and I'm in the second category : Nothing, the bike, some papers and tokens, and that's all. A little weak compared to Canyon...

The bike is very pretty, I was afraid of the white and red, but in real life it's a damn good looking bike. Not sure I would pick the Grey one if I had the choice now. Fitted some red SuperStar Nano X pedals, looks great, first time I'm really stunned by the look of my bike and not envying other. Some shitty pics :

photo

photo

photo

I'm 183 cm (6ft), with about 84 cm legs span and long arms and chose the XL. Sizing is great, but it's a long bike, longer than my L Swoop, particularly on the wheelbase (1246 against 1222) and you feel it a lot. Harder to manual, wheelie and overall play with the bike. I should gain on bikeparks and fast downhills so I'm happy with that.
The L should work too with my morphology, but I prefer longer bikes to go stupidly fast on rough stuff (which is very very smart when you live near Paris like me... hum).
Very good pedaling position too, that's nice to have a 76° effective STA and I'm not tall enough to feel the slack actual STA.

The two big differences with the Swoop when riding it : The progressivity of the rear suspension and the stiffness.

The Swoop is a linear bike, extremely plush, but eating its travel easily. The Capra is plush too, not quite as much as the Swoop, but it delivers its travel in a much more composed manner. It seems to have more travel and will be way better to cope with some hard hitting terrain. Really pleased with that.
I run about 30% of sag in attack position, 36% seated. I'm about 74 kg with my stuff, 62 psi in the front, 150-155 in the rear (not sure, my pump is off by a lot). Bottomed out a flat landing, but didn't feel it. I will maybe look to bumped the 70 stroke to 75 later, not sure.

The bike is way more lateraly stiff than the Swoop, in a good way. I tend to whip everywhere with poor receptions, and it's rigid where the rear end of the Swoop was moving. It gives a more solid feel, and it's a good point.

Haven't weighted it, but it's lighter than the Swoop which is a light bike for a 170 mm alu monster, so it's in the low 14kg, with tubes, I guess.
The weight of the bike is way more in front than the Swoop, but his DD rear tire doesn't help.

The bike is more "sporty" than the Swoop because of the more supportive rear end, stiffer frame and lower weight, which balance it's longer wheelbase. Still harder to maneuver on tight stuff. Haven't went to my more freeride / DH spots with jumps and berms, so don't really know how it's jumping and playing with real air time. Feels like it's an extremely stable bike, normal considering the mensurations.
BB is higher than the Swoop, only a single pedal strike yesterday, so less annoying on that point of view.

Pleased I went with the 27.5 and not the 29, it's more adaptated with my riding (bikeparks or berms/jumps), love the plush feel.

The frame is nicely protected from factory with the rubber thing under the BB and some transparent film on the downtube and chainstay. Why a grey rubber tho ? When you have a red one already in use on the CF Pro ? And, like enduro-mtb said, the grey rubber to protect the chainstay... One ride, already pearled in black spot. Looks bad.

The suspension is not very efficient, bobing quite a lot, but the pedal position of the shock give it nice pedaling characteristics while still being active. So it's ok.
The Super Deluxe is a great shock, way better than the Vivid Air RC2, and like others, I've slowed the rebound by some clicks.

The bike clearly deserve a better fork than the 2018 170 Lyrik, I bought a 180 2019 debonair spring, which should give it a proper front end (right now it's diving a lot, lacking of support, coped well with the Swoop, not the Capra).

XT with the E13 cassette is a great combo, but it was not very well set up, had a hard time with the easiest gear, the chain was jumping and went to the harder gear (which is not ideal when you are trying to climb something...). Fixed it and it's perfect, very crisp gear changing, huge range. Maybe I'll buy a 30 teeth on the front later.

Not impressed with the tires at all. Anchor likes, I was destroyed after 3h30 of riding like never before. Tend to be unpredictable when leaning on the side knobs (like enduro-mtb said, 100% agree with them) and the rear one doesn't have close to the traction of my old 2.3 Agressor. But they are huge and well damped.
Didn't want to change them before going to the Alps, but I think 2.5 DHF and Agressor are coming soon.

Mitigated with the dropper, feels/sound uber cheap, but works and the lever is nice. Still a downgrade from the reverb, but on the long run potentially less issues ? We'll see.

Wheels are surprisingly "light", and the freewheel makes a damn nice sound. Hope I won't experience the same issues E13 wheels had in the past. If not, I'll keep them.
Code RS are great, sublime feel, less raw power than the MT5 but still plenty enough. RaceFace stuff is beautiful. Grips seem not very good, don't know and don't really care for now. Saddle seems good for my ass, no pain.

So very pleased, looking foward to go in the Alps, it really feels like a machine to destroy downhill. Next step are tubeless and 180 fork, soon, and it will be close to perfect.
Planned to get some red Silk decals for the fork, shock and wheels, but not sure about it anymore.

And sorry for my poor english.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 5:19 Quote
yetichon - thanks for posting.

I swapped the rear tyre for a specialized slaughter, and it makes a considerable difference to how well the bike rolls. I've left the e13 on the front for now.

I also ended up swapping the rear brake rotor to 180mm rotor, with the 200mm rotor I felt like I didnt have much control over braking , I felt the wheel was either locked up or not braking, with nothing in between.

I'm still dialling in the suspension ( i have the cf pro, so fox suspension not RS), but from YT the shock came with 6 spacers fitted (out of 7 allowed), so I removed 3 . I'm started with the fox settings (from the manual) for compression and rebound, but I have added a few more clicks of rebound damping.I may take out one more spacer to make the back end a bit more linear

The fork is set up exactly as per Fox manual settings, and seems mostly fine.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 8:30 Quote
Bought my Capra 27 AL about 6 weeks ago, but due to life happening I only managed to get a full bike park day in on the bike today. Coming from a Radon Slide 140 29er and Scott Voltage FR (Capra replaced the both).

Thought I’d post my initial feelings - while overall very happy, I am disappointed with a few things, and need to do some fine tuning for personal preference.

First off, I’m 175.5cm tall - right on the M/L boundary. I took YTs advice and went for the bigger frame. Seat height and overall fit is fine, reach feels very slightly long but ok. I am however really struggling with the front end height of the bike being too low. As I ride mostly steep stuff (Bikeparks here in Switzerland, or in France mostly), I like a high front end or I get neck ache at the top back of my neck from looking up down the trail all the time - after 2 hours today I was really struggling. There is a 5mm spacer only on top of the stem, and apparently a 2cm rise to the bar (but it looks like less) - on my previous bike I had a 3cm rise bar and 1.5cm of spacers. The bars also felt a touch wide when combined with the long reach - with the grips they are 790mm, I usually ride 760-770, which I'll go back to.

I’m going to swap out the bars for some with a bigger rise, and swap the spacer under the stem and see if this helps! All in all I can’t help thinking I’d liked to have tried an M to see if it was better - however my riding positioning in terms of front/back movement is much improved on the L - I think it just needs tweaking for my style.

Next up was small bump compliance - I’m coming from a fox 36 factory 2016 fork, which just seemed to ‘work’ - the Lyric was terribly bumpy over small stuff out of the box. I tweaked a few things, but couldn’t really smooth things out a lot - It felt planted in corners and when pushing it, but I had seriously numb hands at the end of each run from the vibration through the bars. Rear shock felt great and was easy to tune - super plush. Again, I think I'll get some help to set up this fork as it seems my usual stuff didn't work.

Brakes - ok. Not as much feel or stopping power as my usual MT5, but did the job - they were a bit on/off with little moderation. Pads were half way dead after the days riding (I’m a big guy so this is not unexpected for me).

Stock grips - much too thin for me, but either way they were destroyed in one day Frown They are SDG something and clearly made of cheese... they wore through where my thumb rubbed them, and also around where my index/middle finger gripped. I've never had to swap out a pair of grips in my life, so this is a new one on me. I have a set of Deathgrips to go on anyhow.

All in all in terms of riding, the bike did a great job, felt fast, planted and really inspired confidence - I was able to really push while keeping a good margin for error! After the 29 it felt super quick when turning which took some getting used to (I was overturning, or being too aggressive to start), but by the end of the runs I was really enjoying the point and go feel...

Overall a happy Capra owner, but didn't think I'd have to swap out/change so much so soon to get things feeling right. Long term it seems like it'll be a great bike though.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 8:41 Quote
Marc2211 wrote:
Bought my Capra 27 AL about 6 weeks ago, but due to life happening I only managed to get a full bike park day in on the bike today. Coming from a Radon Slide 140 29er and Scott Voltage FR (Capra replaced the both).

Thought I’d post my initial feelings - while overall very happy, I am disappointed with a few things, and need to do some fine tuning for personal preference.

First off, I’m 175.5cm tall - right on the M/L boundary. I took YTs advice and went for the bigger frame. Seat height and overall fit is fine, reach feels very slightly long but ok. I am however really struggling with the front end height of the bike being too low. As I ride mostly steep stuff (Bikeparks here in Switzerland, or in France mostly), I like a high front end or I get neck ache at the top back of my neck from looking up down the trail all the time - after 2 hours today I was really struggling. There is a 5mm spacer only on top of the stem, and apparently a 2cm rise to the bar (but it looks like less) - on my previous bike I had a 3cm rise bar and 1.5cm of spacers. The bars also felt a touch wide when combined with the long reach - with the grips they are 790mm, I usually ride 760-770, which I'll go back to.

I’m going to swap out the bars for some with a bigger rise, and swap the spacer under the stem and see if this helps! All in all I can’t help thinking I’d liked to have tried an M to see if it was better - however my riding positioning in terms of front/back movement is much improved on the L - I think it just needs tweaking for my style.

Next up was small bump compliance - I’m coming from a fox 36 factory 2016 fork, which just seemed to ‘work’ - the Lyric was terribly bumpy over small stuff out of the box. I tweaked a few things, but couldn’t really smooth things out a lot - It felt planted in corners and when pushing it, but I had seriously numb hands at the end of each run from the vibration through the bars. Rear shock felt great and was easy to tune - super plush. Again, I think I'll get some help to set up this fork as it seems my usual stuff didn't work.

Brakes - ok. Not as much feel or stopping power as my usual MT5, but did the job - they were a bit on/off with little moderation. Pads were half way dead after the days riding (I’m a big guy so this is not unexpected for me).

Stock grips - much too thin for me, but either way they were destroyed in one day Frown They are SDG something and clearly made of cheese... they wore through where my thumb rubbed them, and also around where my index/middle finger gripped. I've never had to swap out a pair of grips in my life, so this is a new one on me. I have a set of Deathgrips to go on anyhow.

All in all in terms of riding, the bike did a great job, felt fast, planted and really inspired confidence - I was able to really push while keeping a good margin for error! After the 29 it felt super quick when turning which took some getting used to (I was overturning, or being too aggressive to start), but by the end of the runs I was really enjoying the point and go feel...

Overall a happy Capra owner, but didn't think I'd have to swap out/change so much so soon to get things feeling right. Long term it seems like it'll be a great bike though.

you can easelly bump um the front travel on the fork, opening the ha and giving you a higher front end.
as for the bar, they come wide for people to curt it, my cf pro came with 800 and i cutted it down to 760

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 10:25 Quote
tiagomano wrote:
Marc2211 wrote:

you can easelly bump um the front travel on the fork, opening the ha and giving you a higher front end.
as for the bar, they come wide for people to curt it, my cf pro came with 800 and i cutted it down to 760

Ah ok, I didn't know I could add travel - definitely something to look at in the future.

I just swapped the spacer to under the stem, and installed a 30mm rise Renthal Fatbar from my old bike (which I had cut to 760mm previously) and some Deathgrips. From initial tests (around the block!) it already seems much better. Just need to wait for a few weeks for the next bikepark trip to confirm!

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
[/Quote]
Ah ok, I didn't know I could add travel - definitely something to look at in the future.

I just swapped the spacer to under the stem, and installed a 30mm rise Renthal Fatbar from my old bike (which I had cut to 760mm previously) and some Deathgrips. From initial tests (around the block!) it already seems much better. Just need to wait for a few weeks for the next bikepark trip to confirm![/Quote]

they sell the bikes for a huge range of people, so they send it to be good for the most amount of people, the customer then as to fine tune it to their needs

i cutted the bars on mine, thought the crank set was to frágil and swapped it for a hope , put my old saints as i preferred the feel and have a set of hope pro 4 with dt swiss ex 511 to put on the bike because the original e.13 wheels were to flexy for my licking ( don't know why they speck a 28 spokes wheel for an aggressive enduro 29 bike)

2018 Capra CF PRO 29er

just missing the wheels

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 11:11 Quote
Marc2211 wrote:

On my 27 AL, I have Renthal 30mm rise bars, the lower headset cover with 1 spacer under the stem and the 180 lyrik air spring. It feels much better than stock to me. I can’t really tell there is more travel up front, or if it’s any slacker in HA, but it definitely raises the ride height up.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 12:44 Quote
Marc2211 wrote:

Strange because pre evol 36 had way worse small bump compliance than lyriks. You should be getting very smooth feeling over small stuff

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 13:36 Quote
[Quote="Yetichon"]

Well packed, nothing to say. I saw that some people got some tools (torque wrench, shock pump, ...) and other did not, and I'm in the second category : Nothing, the bike, some papers and tokens, and that's all. A little weak compared to Canyon...

** This is the first case I've heard of no tools. Someone forgot to put them in your box. Email YT and have them send you a set.

The bike clearly deserve a better fork than the 2018 170 Lyrik

** Curious - what fork do you think it should come with?

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 13:49 Quote
[Quote="kwapik"]
Yetichon wrote:

** This is the first case I've heard of no tools. Someone forgot to put them in your box. Email YT and have them send you a set.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, but yeah, I just saw on the bike description, should come with tools... Thanks for that, I'll mail them.

I think it deserves a 2019 Lyrik, with the more supportive feel. I'll install my 180 mm debonair next week and come back to give my feelings about it.

Posted: Jul 29, 2018 at 14:18 Quote
[Quote="Yetichon"]
kwapik wrote:
Yetichon wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, but yeah, I just saw on the bike description, should come with tools... Thanks for that, I'll mail them.

I think it deserves a 2019 Lyrik, with the more supportive feel. I'll install my 180 mm debonair next week and come back to give my feelings about it.

I have the 2019 180mm debonair spring in my 2018 lyrik. I’m still playing with the setup but I’m really happy with it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023989
Mobile Version of Website