YT Capra Owners

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 13:41 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
sebiseraph wrote:
Ferisko wrote:

Sounds like positive and negative chamber equalizing air pressure when the air piston inside passes the dimple in the air can. They all do that.

Thanks for the reply. This comes as a relief to a noob like me. I'll take it to the mountain today and try to forget about it. Time to stop worrying and have some fun with this bad girl.

This should stop immediate when pos and neg chambers are equalised, if it's constand it's a seal issue....

No, because the pressures are never quite completely equal when compressing or rebounding the shock as the internal piston passes the dimple because the previous equalization always happened on the opposite movement. I have no less than 4 different FS bikes at home with air shocks and they all do it.

Here's 2013 Fox Float CTD.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
Erotomania wrote:
My super deluxe makes a noise at the very beginning of the travel. I swapped the shock as soon as I got the bike so, I never put any miles on the deluxe to break it in. Mine sounds like a wiper seal, nothing I’d be worried about. Before you get too crazy, get some more experienced eyes on it. Take it to a bike shop, or have a buddy check it out and see what they think.

Thanks for the reply. Mine does exactly the same thing. After I sit on the bike and get past the beginning of the travel the rear shock is super silent throughout the ride to the point where I almost forget about it. The bike is simply superb. I still can't believe how well it climbs whatever I throw at it. Hehe, tomorrow's the real test though when I'll finally hit some aggressive trails.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 17:13 Quote
Hi! Has anyone changed the 32t chainring for. 30t one on the 2018 27.5? If so, have you been able to notice any difference whatsoever in the suspension, especially on the downhills? Going to be swapping mine to 30t soon, but might try the 32t first just to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 18:01 Quote
radiorog wrote:
Hi! Has anyone changed the 32t chainring for. 30t one on the 2018 27.5? If so, have you been able to notice any difference whatsoever in the suspension, especially on the downhills? Going to be swapping mine to 30t soon, but might try the 32t first just to see if there is a noticeable difference.
I can't imagine changing the chainring for a different size would make that much of a difference.

If you assume the gear the cassette is in has no bearing on the suspension performance expect for the angle of the chain with the rear wheel, you can simulate a large difference in chainring size by using the biggest and smallest gear in the cassette. I can run actually angles if you like, but I doubt it matters.

You could gain more time on the downhills with another pedal stroke or two vs the difference in suspension performance with a smaller chainring (if it is detrimental rather than helpful).

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 19:12 Quote
My frame finally showed up after a short two month wait Smile None of the protective rubber moulding were on the new frame; any suggestions for an adhesive? I am going to transfer them from my old frame. I emailed YT Canada and YT Germany but have not received a response since Tuesday.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 19:34 Quote
radiorog wrote:

What?! It's 2 bloody teeth! You're overthinking this.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 20:37 Quote
I ordered a YT Capra to basically put a hold on it - I can cancel it anytime for a full refund while I wait for it to arrive in Canada. In the meantime I'd love some buying advice.

I'm on the fence. In the past few years I've been riding more bike parks. This year I will ride 15-20 days between the Whistler and Fernie bike parks, but.....I still love riding uphill and will get in 20-30 xc rides this year. My current bike is a trail bike with 140/150 mm of travel.

My question is should I...

(1) Stay put and keep my 2018 Giant Trance with 140/150 mm which I love.
(2) Buy a Jeffsy, swap the air shaft for a 160 mm.
(3) Stick with my Capra order.

I am old xc guy who started riding in the '80s. I'm only now getting into flow, drops, etc. I love riding tech. The size of the Capra kinda freaks me out lol.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 21:05 Quote
Hi guys.
I'm just after first weekend ride on my Capra AL and I want ask You about yours expirience with Lyrik RC.
I have previous version of it and I think it was much, much softer and had better smal bymb sensivity.
My new Lyrik is great on big hit but in rocks and roots i a bit harsh I have notice as well that between "full open" and "full close" on compression dial is very small diference. (In 2017 model i have very plush and lock like feel and that was great). I have two token instaled (with three i never use even 3/4 of travel).
Can You tell me is it normal for 2018 model, and can I do something to get plushness back? Will new spring help with this issue?
Thanks.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 21:27 Quote
The Capra is a bike park killer. Do you ride the Trance at Whistler?

Depends what you mean by XC and how fit you are. In my current shape, 15mi and 3500ft off climbing is fine on the Capra. I could easily do 20mi and 4500ft of climbing on it, but would prefer EXO tires. I pretty much refuse to do that length of ride unless there is a serious descent involved however... ie these wouldn’t be rides much fun on a hard tail.

Park riding is 5% of my riding per year due to where I live now. I do shuttle maybe another 15%.
Capra was great at Whistler!

Seems like you could go either way: buy a Jeffsy and rent a DH bike for Whistler trips, or buy the Capra. I might have gone the Jeffsy route if I lived someplace with smoother trails like the PNW.

giantrideryyc wrote:
I ordered a YT Capra to basically put a hold on it - I can cancel it anytime for a full refund while I wait for it to arrive in Canada. In the meantime I'd love some buying advice.

I'm on the fence. In the past few years I've been riding more bike parks. This year I will ride 15-20 days between the Whistler and Fernie bike parks, but.....I still love riding uphill and will get in 20-30 xc rides this year. My current bike is a trail bike with 140/150 mm of travel.

I am old xc guy who started riding in the '80s. I'm only now getting into flow, drops, etc. I love riding tech. The size of the Capra kinda freaks me out lol.

Posted: Aug 9, 2018 at 21:32 Quote
I upgraded my 2018 lyrik RCT with the ‘19 spring, and yes it is softer off the top. It’s a cheap and easy upgrade that I recommend.

My Lyrik has a massive difference in compression between open, trail and climb mode, so I can’t comment on your issue there. I only use the Climb mode on smooth climbs and pavement.

rpa87 wrote:
Hi guys.
I'm just after first weekend ride on my Capra AL and I want ask You about yours expirience with Lyrik RC.
I have previous version of it and I think it was much, much softer and had better smal bymb sensivity.
My new Lyrik is great on big hit but in rocks and roots i a bit harsh I have notice as well that between "full open" and "full close" on compression dial is very small diference. (In 2017 model i have very plush and lock like feel and that was great). I have two token instaled (with three i never use even 3/4 of travel).
Can You tell me is it normal for 2018 model, and can I do something to get plushness back? Will new spring help with this issue?
Thanks.

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 0:55 Quote
Ferisko wrote:
adespotoskyli wrote:
sebiseraph wrote:

Thanks for the reply. This comes as a relief to a noob like me. I'll take it to the mountain today and try to forget about it. Time to stop worrying and have some fun with this bad girl.

This should stop immediate when pos and neg chambers are equalised, if it's constand it's a seal issue....

No, because the pressures are never quite completely equal when compressing or rebounding the shock as the internal piston passes the dimple because the previous equalization always happened on the opposite movement. I have no less than 4 different FS bikes at home with air shocks and they all do it.

Here's 2013 Fox Float CTD.

I had 4 as well but fixed them, you have a long way...

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 1:27 Quote
Quick question - I'm installing a 2019 Lyrik right now and I see it's got a different brake post scheme from the 2015 Pike it's replacing. Anyone know the post mount adapter type for Guide 200mm?

rpet wrote:
I upgraded my 2018 lyrik RCT with the ‘19 spring, and yes it is softer off the top. It’s a cheap and easy upgrade that I recommend.

My Lyrik has a massive difference in compression between open, trail and climb mode, so I can’t comment on your issue there. I only use the Climb mode on smooth climbs and pavement.

]

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 2:17 Quote
giantrideryyc wrote:

Buy the capra and keep your giant for more xc rides. If over time your giant becomes redundant which is more than likely then sell it.

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:15 Quote
Which Capra? I bought and have been riding the 29, in high setting it is basically a HD Trail bike.

It climbs just fine. I do not feel over biked, this said, I am 210lbs geared and most shorter travel bikes feel flexy to me in rough stuff, especially in the fork.

I have been riding mtb since late 80s as well, short hand for saying I am not entering a race, but looking to have as much fun as possible.

I do not regret my purchase for a nano second now that I have it. But everyday until it arrived, I was on the verge of cancelling.. I am glad I held true.

giantrideryyc wrote:

Posted: Aug 10, 2018 at 6:55 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
radiorog wrote:

What?! It's 2 bloody teeth! You're overthinking this.
Smile That's what I do best Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015769
Mobile Version of Website