YT Capra Owners

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
Anybody use their Capra for a do it all bike? I currently have a DH bike and I'm either looking at adding a Jeffsy or replacing with Capra to do it all.

I typically ride bike parks 4-5 weekends a year and trail ride the rest of the time. Trails are a bit up and down, so pedaling/climbing would be involved.

Let me know what you guys think.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:
Anybody use their Capra for a do it all bike? I currently have a DH bike and I'm either looking at adding a Jeffsy or replacing with Capra to do it all.

I typically ride bike parks 4-5 weekends a year and trail ride the rest of the time. Trails are a bit up and down, so pedaling/climbing would be involved.

100% it's a do it all bike. Pedals so well, and way better than some of the reviews seem to mention.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:55 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:

Yes. This is common. I currently run a 170 Lyrik RC2 in front and 170 DHX2 in the rear (on an old CF 27.5). If you get the current Capra you could swap in a DC fork if you wanted to, but I've ridden the gnarliest terrain I'm able to on the single crown including DH races. I also do all my trail riding, Enduro & DS racing on it too. I'm an old guy so take that into account....ha

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:

I just took my first ride on my Capra 29 Pro Race this week and it climbs really well and obviously is a beast on the downhills. My 2017 Capra had a 28 x 42 drivetrain and the 2019 Pro Race has a 32 x 46, so I actually have less gear range than on my old bike, but I managed to PR the hardest climb at my local trails that day. I've been riding these same trails for 5 years and haven't beat my old PR in 3 years. However, I still may switch to a smaller chainring just to give me a bailout gear on the longer rides. Also, I'm still in the LOW mode so it should pedal even better once I try out the HIGH mode.

The new Capra really does just feel so refined.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 21:30 Quote
wtmorgan1 wrote:
i-ride-beastly wrote:

I just took my first ride on my Capra 29 Pro Race this week and it climbs really well and obviously is a beast on the downhills. My 2017 Capra had a 28 x 42 drivetrain and the 2019 Pro Race has a 32 x 46, so I actually have less gear range than on my old bike, but I managed to PR the hardest climb at my local trails that day. I've been riding these same trails for 5 years and haven't beat my old PR in 3 years. However, I still may switch to a smaller chainring just to give me a bailout gear on the longer rides. Also, I'm still in the LOW mode so it should pedal even better once I try out the HIGH mode.

The new Capra really does just feel so refined.
I have a dedicated DH bike too and also had a 2017 Capra but recently replaced Capra with a 2018 jeffsey cf 29. I was really missing the Capra the first couple outings, wasn’t sure the 29 was for me and was missing the travel, but after a week of pedalling and putting the jeffsey through some nasty double black trails in whistler....I’m happy with it. It climbs better and I haven’t bottomed out the suspension yet which I’m very surprised since I’m 250lbs. I noticed the higher center of gravity on steep tech but I got used to it. There is nothing i ride on the Capra that I can’t ride on the jeffsey with the exception of a few large jumps which is not a big deal, that’s what park days and the DH bike is for. If you can afford it I would run two bikes. Just having a Capra is ok if you’re on a budget but those park days sure beat up enduro bikes...especially whistler,

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 3:36 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
I also have an issue with the e13 11 spd cassette droping the chain when back pedaling. My mechanic buddy immediately checked the dropout hanger with a park tool gauge. Very far from straight. So he straightened it. Problem still exists but not nearly as pronounced. My concern is the chainline is set up to favor the tiny gears, and I climb a lot. I ordered a standard affset chainring, less teeth, and i will swap it in for the boost offset. This will put my chainline more inboard. i am 2.35 tires so i doubt any clearance issue there, and the last time i used the highest gear mountain biking was on the road... Plus the little cog is so small it is useless anyway. i will post my results.

get SRAM Eagle 12spd chain it help a lot.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 7:38 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:

Ya man, great do it all with a gravity bias! Pull the trigger!

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 8:42 Quote
I got the original Capra Al and a Tues CF.

I had the Capra one year as do it all bike, but then moved permanently to the Alps. So that is why I bought a Tues, because I started riding mostly more days park than Enduro.
But the 160mm Capra was already really capable so the newer ones should be perfect, and if I will replace that one it will most likely buy a Capra again (not sure yet on wheel size).
The big advantage in my opinion with a Capra over Jeffsy is that you cant make a wrong turn on the trails with the Capra: If you by mistake find a black dh trail the Capra is fine. Ok it might costs you a bit on the climbs, but the weight difference between the Jeffsy and Capra are about a full blatter....just pee more and you wont notice it Wink .

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
Double thumbs up on the eagle chain. The stock e13 cassette is the cheaper one. After about 500 miles I replaced chain and cassette. Went with the e13 race cassette and eagle chain. It is real crisp. You would think it was engineered as a system.

ddbiked wrote:
nematon785 wrote:
I also have an issue with the e13 11 spd cassette droping the chain when back pedaling. My mechanic buddy immediately checked the dropout hanger with a park tool gauge. Very far from straight. So he straightened it. Problem still exists but not nearly as pronounced. My concern is the chainline is set up to favor the tiny gears, and I climb a lot. I ordered a standard affset chainring, less teeth, and i will swap it in for the boost offset. This will put my chainline more inboard. i am 2.35 tires so i doubt any clearance issue there, and the last time i used the highest gear mountain biking was on the road... Plus the little cog is so small it is useless anyway. i will post my results.

get SRAM Eagle 12spd chain it help a lot.

Posted: May 17, 2019 at 18:23 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:

If you already have a DH bike you like you should get the jefsey, the Capra is a super park capable but doesn't have that DH bike smashability or as much of a cushion if you screw up. For day to day trail bike the jefsey is a better choice in most places.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 0:56 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:

The new Capra is way more capable than the old one, partly due to bigger forks and more travel and the longer wheelbase, but also it's a stiffer frame design. I've got a coil for alps trips and bike parks and i convert the lyrik to 180 for the alps from the 170 stock fork. I've got a DH bike which never gets used any more!

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 4:57 Quote
Looking for some help, I have a 2018 Capra AL Comp with the Lyrik RCT3. I found that the charger damper isn't doing anything when I turn the knob from Open - Pedal - Firm. The fork feels like it's now stuck in open where as before it felt like it was stuck in firm. I can manage riding it the way it is but it's pretty rough going up steep hills, I really don't want to have to send it back for warranty work and be without a bike for a month.

Posted: May 19, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
Should say that XL is just spot on for the 182cm height with hands on a longer side!
No complains reaching and holding the handlebar.
Because comparing Capra’s XL to other brands sizing, especially the top tube length, it’s L size from other brands.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
Bottom bracket question. I know I know and I have read the answer here before but how in gods name is anyone supposed to search threads with the pink bike system....

Anyway, suggestions for E Thirteen BB92 replacement? For E Thirteen carbon cranks also?

Thanks, sorry, thanks

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
i-ride-beastly wrote:

The new Capra is way more capable than the old one, partly due to bigger forks and more travel and the longer wheelbase, but also it's a stiffer frame design. I've got a coil for alps trips and bike parks and i convert the lyrik to 180 for the alps from the 170 stock fork. I've got a DH bike which never gets used any more!

+1 for this. Honestly, especially the CF Pro, it does EVERYTHING

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021631
Mobile Version of Website