YT Capra Owners

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
stuartpenney wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
i-ride-beastly wrote:
Anybody use their Capra for a do it all bike? I currently have a DH bike and I'm either looking at adding a Jeffsy or replacing with Capra to do it all.

I typically ride bike parks 4-5 weekends a year and trail ride the rest of the time. Trails are a bit up and down, so pedaling/climbing would be involved.

Let me know what you guys think.
The new Capra is way more capable than the old one, partly due to bigger forks and more travel and the longer wheelbase, but also it's a stiffer frame design. I've got a coil for alps trips and bike parks and i convert the lyrik to 180 for the alps from the 170 stock fork. I've got a DH bike which never gets used any more!

+1 for this. Honestly, especially the CF Pro, it does EVERYTHING

Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like it rips! I'm not really concerned about the descending, but more climbing. How does it compare to more of a typical trail bike at like 150mm?

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 6:56 Quote
i-ride-beastly wrote:
stuartpenney wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

The new Capra is way more capable than the old one, partly due to bigger forks and more travel and the longer wheelbase, but also it's a stiffer frame design. I've got a coil for alps trips and bike parks and i convert the lyrik to 180 for the alps from the 170 stock fork. I've got a DH bike which never gets used any more!

Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like it rips! I'm not really concerned about the descending, but more climbing. How does it compare to more of a typical trail bike at like 150mm?

I just can't seem to make my mind up if I really need a bike that big for a few park laps a year.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 7:33 Quote
notphaedrus wrote:
I've got a DH bike which never gets used any more!

How big is the gap between your capra and DH bike for DH and bike park usage? Is it a modern DH bike?

I have a Capra 29 with ohlins coil shock and 170mm fork but still considering a Tues 29. Haven't owned a DH bike before though.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 8:09 Quote
Honestly, if you are doing 90-95% trail ridings, I'd go with the Jeffsy. The Capra isn't the most efficient climber and while it can handle all-day rides, that's not what it was designed to do. It's a ripper that's built for descents. You can feel it's climbing inefficiency when you hop on a shorter travel trail bike.

i-ride-beastly wrote:
i-ride-beastly wrote:
stuartpenney wrote:

I just can't seem to make my mind up if I really need a bike that big for a few park laps a year.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
mikepal wrote:
Honestly, if you are doing 90-95% trail ridings, I'd go with the Jeffsy. The Capra isn't the most efficient climber and while it can handle all-day rides, that's not what it was designed to do. It's a ripper that's built for descents. You can feel it's climbing inefficiency when you hop on a shorter travel trail bike.

i-ride-beastly wrote:
i-ride-beastly wrote:

Ultimately, you gotta be honest with what you want, more than what you need. I wanted a no excuses enduro machine, and that’s what I got.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
If you want a personal reference point on a real world experience, look at this strava lap. I did it yesterday on my Capra 29.

https://strava.app.link/Fg9LrhdIQW

I did a 9 mile loop in 1hr 8mins. You can see the profile of the trail, it is all trail, no fire road. My fastest time is on the same trail is 1:04, that was on my Ripley LS. I would also say I could have taken minutes off of both times had it been my mission and I selected better/less crowded times.

I know all the guys on the top 10 list, all are competitive in either XC or multi sport endurance racing, riding 130mm or less, trail and XC race bikes. I am neither. And I like to make that point when I see them.

The Capra 29 will climb any hill as fast as you are fit to ride. It will not make you faster, but it will not slow you down.

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 18:49 Quote
So.... a linkage bolt fell out of my bike. Is this the correct thing for me to buy?

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/1963

https://imgur.com/a/uqoWSSy

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 1:47 Quote
liamhutch89 wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

How big is the gap between your capra and DH bike for DH and bike park usage? Is it a modern DH bike?

I have a Capra 29 with ohlins coil shock and 170mm fork but still considering a Tues 29. Haven't owned a DH bike before though.
@notphaedrus: what kind of bikeparks your ride with your Capra, that you don't use your DH bike anymore? When you have to pedal or push up I understand. But for me the difference between 160mm Capra and 200mm Tues is quite big: if I got lifts and park trails I take the DH. If it lift but more trail network with traverse climbing etc I take the Capra.

But a DH bike versus an enduro bike on purely downward trails, just feels like cheating: it just so much easier on your body, if you keep the same speed as enduro. Or put otherwise you can go faster with the same effort. Also DH bike is somewhat more forgiving when casing or hucking to a flat.
It is not that the Capra can't handle it or I cant ride it on the Capra, but is just more convenient to pick the DH bike when riding park.

I do ride more parkdays than non park days, so that also kind of justifies it for me to have 2 bikes.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
Modern enduro bikes like the Capra are amazing, but true DH bikes (again, modern) are still another level above them if you want to go really fast in rough terrain. Yes, it might be possible to go nearly as fast on an enduro bike, but it's going to beat you up a lot more, beat up the bike and not feel as smooth.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 1:45 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Modern enduro bikes like the Capra are amazing, but true DH bikes (again, modern) are still another level above them if you want to go really fast in rough terrain. Yes, it might be possible to go nearly as fast on an enduro bike, but it's going to beat you up a lot more, beat up the bike and not feel as smooth.
exactly tup

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 8:47 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
gramboh wrote:
exactly tup

Yep! I have both and the Capra is my XC bike.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
liamhutch89 wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:

@notphaedrus: what kind of bikeparks your ride with your Capra, that you don't use your DH bike anymore? When you have to pedal or push up I understand. But for me the difference between 160mm Capra and 200mm Tues is quite big: if I got lifts and park trails I take the DH. If it lift but more trail network with traverse climbing etc I take the Capra.

But a DH bike versus an enduro bike on purely downward trails, just feels like cheating: it just so much easier on your body, if you keep the same speed as enduro. Or put otherwise you can go faster with the same effort. Also DH bike is somewhat more forgiving when casing or hucking to a flat.
It is not that the Capra can't handle it or I cant ride it on the Capra, but is just more convenient to pick the DH bike when riding park.

I do ride more parkdays than non park days, so that also kind of justifies it for me to have 2 bikes.

We have bike parks and bike parks. The Capra feels quicker to me on most red (uk) and black dhs. When I ride double blacks I prefer my TR500, which is set up with a vivid air rear shock and reduced offset 40s. I see that you are from out of the UK so naming the specific bike park trails may not be useful? But I find the Capra more engaging unless it's mentally big or massive hits

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
Just wanted to let you know how my experience with the YT Capra is going so far. Purchased a 29 early November. Found out not actually in stock "Will be soon" irritating as the site said in stock. Switched to a 27.5. Shipped in about a week. derailleur hanger was bent, E13 post only stops on 3 points, not 4, top, really high and bottom. no tubeless stems, YT refused to set up tubeless before shipping (Jensen does this no sweat) Found out bikes went on sale 1 week later, $300 off. bummer. Chain guide set up rubbing. hydro and cables left super long, rear brake soft and spongy. needs bled proper. shock pump is woefully inaccurate, YT rim tape is not tubeless ready and is installed offset from valve stem hole. 2 months later same bike comes with all sram drivetrain and a hydro dropper true debonair suspension (not just pretty debonair print on the shock), better tires and better paint job AND 30mm IW rims vs my already outdated 25. Steer tube cut so short no adjustment possible. Asked YT rep how many spacers/tokens come in Super deluxe in stock trim "I don't know...Maybe 1?" Gotta go buy a sram bleed kit ($80) before I ride this thing now that springtime is finally here. I guess I need to get a 12 speed chain as this drivetrain has all sorts of issues without it, gotta get all tubeless gear, debonair upgrades because I thought that's what came with it. 2018 is solo. just says debonair WTF, spooked to check all bolts for suspension every 10minutes into ride to make sure they stay in gonna need to crack that can on the rear shock and check if I have a spacer in there. it makes a funny squelch noise also. luckily my buddy is a long time bike mech, or I would still be unaware the derailleur hanger was slightly bent, dropping the chain instantly if you pedal backwards. Seat and grips will need swapped they are Walmart grade. Guess I should open up the manual and figure out why the dropper is acting up, even though I never even used it yet. Gonna be a lot of wrenching before riding on this. Looks like it will be fun if I ever get it set up. No plug and play here. Girlfriend bought an Orbea from Jensen, got $1000 off, and started riding immediately. runs perfect. She is laughing at me when she goes out for a ride and I am tools everywhere, boxes of parts on the door step, coated in brake fluid and tire sealant with outdated parts spec and $300 light in the wallet for buying 1 week before a sale and accepting what was in stock rather than what I ordered...

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Just wanted to let you know how my experience with the YT Capra is going so far. Purchased a 29 early November. Found out not actually in stock "Will be soon" irritating as the site said in stock. Switched to a 27.5. Shipped in about a week. derailleur hanger was bent, E13 post only stops on 3 points, not 4, top, really high and bottom. no tubeless stems, YT refused to set up tubeless before shipping (Jensen does this no sweat) Found out bikes went on sale 1 week later, $300 off. bummer. Chain guide set up rubbing. hydro and cables left super long, rear brake soft and spongy. needs bled proper. shock pump is woefully inaccurate, YT rim tape is not tubeless ready and is installed offset from valve stem hole. 2 months later same bike comes with all sram drivetrain and a hydro dropper true debonair suspension (not just pretty debonair print on the shock), better tires and better paint job AND 30mm IW rims vs my already outdated 25. Steer tube cut so short no adjustment possible. Asked YT rep how many spacers/tokens come in Super deluxe in stock trim "I don't know...Maybe 1?" Gotta go buy a sram bleed kit ($80) before I ride this thing now that springtime is finally here. I guess I need to get a 12 speed chain as this drivetrain has all sorts of issues without it, gotta get all tubeless gear, debonair upgrades because I thought that's what came with it. 2018 is solo. just says debonair WTF, spooked to check all bolts for suspension every 10minutes into ride to make sure they stay in gonna need to crack that can on the rear shock and check if I have a spacer in there. it makes a funny squelch noise also. luckily my buddy is a long time bike mech, or I would still be unaware the derailleur hanger was slightly bent, dropping the chain instantly if you pedal backwards. Seat and grips will need swapped they are Walmart grade. Guess I should open up the manual and figure out why the dropper is acting up, even though I never even used it yet. Gonna be a lot of wrenching before riding on this. Looks like it will be fun if I ever get it set up. No plug and play here. Girlfriend bought an Orbea from Jensen, got $1000 off, and started riding immediately. runs perfect. She is laughing at me when she goes out for a ride and I am tools everywhere, boxes of parts on the door step, coated in brake fluid and tire sealant with outdated parts spec and $300 light in the wallet for buying 1 week before a sale and accepting what was in stock rather than what I ordered...

seems like most of your frustration comes from the fact that you bought an "outdated" bike .
it's pretty well known when they usually launch the new model, so if you don't want to be in that place you should inform yourself better. i did also buy a go pro hero 3 1 week before the 4 got out, it was my fault that i bought it late, not the brand that has a schedule and has to launch new product.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 13:21 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Well I assume every forward thinking biker directly orders a derailleur spare hanger right upon purchase of bike, right?

Due to murphy's law if you break or bend a hanger, the hanger you need is always out of stock with a 5 week delivery date... Already happened once with Canyon, but luckily had the spare. Smile

So put the spare on it... Nevertheless I don't think it will chance anything to be honest, but backpedaling on these big range cogs is super sensitive for type of chain and chain line: back pedalling it drops from the TOP of the cog. Not much your derailleur can do there...

And unfortunately you learned the hard way, but never by a bike past season! Unless it already on a good discount price. You will feel awkard when you see the discounts later or the new models being introduced. (This goes for every brand)

You can get some lucky breaks though: I bought the discounted 2016 Tues around december, but it was delivered with the better '17 Guides and the 7speed narrow range cassette as per 2017 range instead of older 10speed of beginning 2016 range.

But anyway bikes are used to be set-up to your liking: I got different handle bars, stems, brakes on my bikes. Almost every brake brand can use a bleed once a season, so bleed kit is good to have. So just put it out of your head what is available now, or will be introduced next month, or next season. Just ride the bike, tune it to your liking over the seasons and enjoy!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021645
Mobile Version of Website