YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 6:45 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
I'm 6ft/183cm and I got the original model Capra in size L, that is a reach of 445mm. That was the biggest Alu model at that time. Now the L has a reach of 460mm and XL a 480mm reach.

Anyone here with experience coming from the older Capra to the newer ones in the same size or sizing up: How does it feel compared to the older Capra?

I’m 6’ and went from the 2016 large CF to the 2018 large CF pro.

The 2016 reach was quite short for me and a tall seat tube. Felt as if I was too ‘on top’ of the bike. An XL might have done the trick if it were available at the time.

The large 2018 with longer reach and shorter seattube length is perfect. Feels like I’m more ‘in’ the bike. I did swap the stem from the stock 40mm to a 50mm. I’ve run shorter stems before, but the 50 is the sweet spot for me. Cant say I’d want to change anything with the fit of the current model, though.

Posted: Jun 17, 2019 at 7:14 Quote
kwapik wrote:
aczo wrote:
I have an issue with spare parts - I lost horst link bolt cap for my Capra '18 during shuttling (pick up option was really shaky) and the EU website says the horst link sets are sold out. They seem available in the US website and the service does not reply for 4rd straight day. Did anybody order spares from the US shop recently? How long does it take to deliver them? I have a colleague traveling here for work from Atlanta week after next, but need to be sure if this can be delivered.

If anybody had a similar situation with parts not being available, maybe there's another workaround? The service is silent and this is driving me mad, cause I can't ride my Capra (lots of plans already made) and need to settle for bikes that are just not that well.

Instead of emailing YT USA, call them at 1-833-982-4537 and have them check the availability of what you need. Hours are 8:30-5:30 pst.

Shipping from California to Georgia is 2-3 days with Priority (USPS) — Express Saver (FedEx) — 3-day Select (UPS). Of course it can be there quicker if needed.

thanks @kwapik and everybody else! YT US actually replied to my email almost instantly (while YT EU still didn't at all), they have what I need and it's already ordered by my colleague in the US, so my trouble should be over. Meanwhile my bike mechanic made a spare which works for now, so back to riding the goat!

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 17:30 Quote
tbgd wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
Anyone had problems with the 2018 Capra headset bearings? I was pretty shocked to see mine seized yesterday. Dry and rusty. Anyone else had this, and which brand did you change to?

Mine lasted a year. Then were completely gone.

I had a real problem getting the bearing out. Wouldn’t come, I had to take out whole lower cup out to get the bearing out.

I’m going change whole headset to a hope one.

Yep. Cane Creek 40 and much better.

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
I'm about to pull to trigger on an AL Comp 29er as my 'big' bike as the spec and geo look very, very good.
Anything that should be aware of/look out for regarding the Capra?

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 22:39 Quote
shadow-flier wrote:
I'm about to pull to trigger on an AL Comp 29er as my 'big' bike as the spec and geo look very, very good.
Anything that should be aware of/look out for regarding the Capra?

Rear end of capra 29 is quite progressive and can be bit harsh trough rock gardens etc. If you ride gnarly stuff, you might want to consider coil shock at some point.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 0:40 Quote
mattjolley wrote:
tbgd wrote:
notphaedrus wrote:
Anyone had problems with the 2018 Capra headset bearings? I was pretty shocked to see mine seized yesterday. Dry and rusty. Anyone else had this, and which brand did you change to?

I had a real problem getting the bearing out. Wouldn’t come, I had to take out whole lower cup out to get the bearing out.

Just changed mine, same issue regards getting the bearings out, had to take both cups out. Although perhaps down to my lack of expertise.

Swapped out for Hope.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 1:19 Quote
what brand of bb are you guys swapping for?
Mine last week on the non drive side gave up on life, ended up putting some Rotor ones. seem nice, cheaper then hope, and as it is bb92 for a 30mm spindle, it is wider than the raceface that i had and they have two rows of bearings instead of one

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 5:22 Quote
Just had a wheels mfg installed pn my 2017, cheaper than Hope and with same bearings.
Very happy.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 16:47 Quote
dchardy wrote:
radiorog wrote:
dchardy wrote:
Hiya I’m moving to Snowdonia in wales in September, I have a decent budget (we had 6 bikes stolen dec 17 so have the insurance money) and me and my wife are trying to work out what the best path to take is.

1: Jeffsy cf pro 29 + Capra al 29 for me (I’m 5’10)
And a jeffsy cf pro 27.5 + Capra 27.5 for her (she is 5’3)

2: get a Capra cf pro race each as our one bike

3: get decoy each as our one bike

Any input and suggestions welcome
Good insurance. How do you go about I during that many bikes? I'm struggling to get just one covered.

Just added them to home insurance only put the price up buy 113 a year for 6 bikes (from a 500 hardtail to a 3350 full sus)
Great, cheers. I'm about to change my policy and insurer.....so , sweet.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Would you guys mind posting part #s on replacement headsets? My lower bearing is shot (one year of riding), and I just KNOW I'm going to screw up and order the wrong replacement.

thanks!

stoo61 wrote:
mattjolley wrote:
tbgd wrote:

Just changed mine, same issue regards getting the bearings out, had to take both cups out. Although perhaps down to my lack of expertise.

Swapped out for Hope.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 10:21 Quote
I got a 2017 capra cr pro race I got 2.6 minions on there wondering if the 2.6 magic Mary's will fit? I know maxxis runs small

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
[Quote="rpet"]Would you guys mind posting part #s on replacement headsets? My lower bearing is shot (one year of riding), and I just KNOW I'm going to screw up and order the wrong replacement.

What year? And aluminum or carbon frame?

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 13:52 Quote
Beer
2018 Capra 27 metal

[Quote="kwapik"]
rpet wrote:
Would you guys mind posting part #s on replacement headsets? My lower bearing is shot (one year of riding), and I just KNOW I'm going to screw up and order the wrong replacement.

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 17:09 Quote
I got your back bro, Chris King IS 2 or equivalent.

https://chrisking.com/products/headset-inset-2

[Quote="kwapik"]
rpet wrote:

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 18:14 Quote
rpet wrote:
Beer
2018 Capra 27 metal

ZS44/ZS56

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023209
Mobile Version of Website