YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 0:42 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Are thes bikes for park use? What do you have to do to it to get the last 10mm of travel on a super deluxe? Even without tokens big hits and violent riding still leave the oring a centimeter out on the shaft. Its actually a bit of a challenge to blend the lyrik to behave the same as the rear. Just really progressive on the final travel. Even with 35 %sag still ramps up pretty hard on the end. Are x2s and coils the only option to get into a full travel spectrum without 6 foot drops to flat? Honestly it tracks clean as a whistle and handles obnoxious square edges no problem. Should i just ignore not using full travel out back? Id admit rider is the weakness, but the front end just settles in with standard settings. Trying to balance both front and rear to do the same thing. Any suggestions are appreciated

You have to cut a washer that is there limiting the travel to 160mm or 170mm in the 27.5

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 1:37 Quote
Im in the market for a new downhill bike that wont end my life if I cant get on a chairlift. My last 2 bikes were both Specialized, a 2008 Enduro SL and a 2007 BigHit 3, and now Im looking at buying a brand new complete bike for the first time ever. Considering dumping my money into the cheapest possible YT Capra ($2600 aluminum base mode).
Anything that sticks out that I need to know about before pulling the trigger?
At 6 feet tall and a hefty build, would a large frame fit me (ive only used large frames)?
Ive only ever ridden 26" wheels before, it may be a tough question but what wheel size would you all recommend?
Are there any parts on the bike youve wanted to replace immediately/quickly after buying yours?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 2:35 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Im in the market for a new downhill bike that wont end my life if I cant get on a chairlift. My last 2 bikes were both Specialized, a 2008 Enduro SL and a 2007 BigHit 3, and now Im looking at buying a brand new complete bike for the first time ever. Considering dumping my money into the cheapest possible YT Capra ($2600 aluminum base mode).
Anything that sticks out that I need to know about before pulling the trigger?
At 6 feet tall and a hefty build, would a large frame fit me (ive only used large frames)?
Ive only ever ridden 26" wheels before, it may be a tough question but what wheel size would you all recommend?
Are there any parts on the bike youve wanted to replace immediately/quickly after buying yours?

For the money, the bike and the components you get, wise choice. Nothing sticks out particularly, I would have said the E13 dropper is shit, but it's not the one used on the 2019 bike so... Maybe consider changing the air spring in the fork and cutting the travel limiter on the shock to get more travel, it can help if you are more on a park/dh usage. Cheap upgrade. The rest of the parts are very good, idk the dropper tho.

I'm 6ft and running an 27 XL, which is spot on. Not a super playful bike, it's more on the planted side of thing (that rear end is so plush, sucking everything).

If you are more on the park/dh stuff, the 27 should be the one, but both are good.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 2:37 Quote
tiagomano wrote:
nematon785 wrote:
Are thes bikes for park use? What do you have to do to it to get the last 10mm of travel on a super deluxe? Even without tokens big hits and violent riding still leave the oring a centimeter out on the shaft. Its actually a bit of a challenge to blend the lyrik to behave the same as the rear. Just really progressive on the final travel. Even with 35 %sag still ramps up pretty hard on the end. Are x2s and coils the only option to get into a full travel spectrum without 6 foot drops to flat? Honestly it tracks clean as a whistle and handles obnoxious square edges no problem. Should i just ignore not using full travel out back? Id admit rider is the weakness, but the front end just settles in with standard settings. Trying to balance both front and rear to do the same thing. Any suggestions are appreciated

You have to cut a washer that is there limiting the travel to 160mm or 170mm in the 27.5

I read that you need to adjust for a valve or I don't know what exactly, is it necessary or you just cut the limiter and you are good to go ?

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 3:04 Quote
Yetichon wrote:
If you are more on the park/dh stuff, the 27 should be the one, but both are good.

Now I really need to try a 27 and 29 inch bike, I have no idea how either of them ride in the first place.
I still have my bighit to last me through the lifts this season, and I know this wont be my last bike, so I could try and keep the Capra off of the harsher park runs until I get a dedicated downhiller.
So assuming I have to bike up every trail I use the capra, would you say 27 or 29?

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 3:55 Quote
The 29er pedals really well.
Dont know about the 27 yet.

Get the 27. I took a 29er to Morzine lasts summer and had no real issues with it.
The 29er roll over helped with the break bumps and certain runs. But I found on the steep sections at Morgins and Champery I felt a little too high.
It jumped whell but could of been easier on a 27.5.
I took a 27.5 DH bike with me too though. Going Whistler this summer and just bought a 27.5 AL comp. Taking some Dual Crown forks to so I can switch between.
I would recommend doing that. Plus, maybe borrow a mates 29er wheel and forks and try the capra with a mullet.
I did love the 29er but I would of preferred it as a mullet bike. Just keep 29 up front to use that roll over and than a fatter 27.5 tyre on the rear for comfort.

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 7:31 Quote
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:

Get the 27. I took a 29er to Morzine lasts summer and had no real issues with it.
The 29er roll over helped with the break bumps and certain runs. But I found on the steep sections at Morgins and Champery I felt a little too high.
I took a 27.5 DH bike with me too though. Going Whistler this summer and just bought a 27.5 AL comp. Taking some Dual Crown forks to so I can switch between.
I would recommend doing that. Plus, maybe borrow a mates 29er wheel and forks and try the capra with a mullet.
I did love the 29er but I would of preferred it as a mullet bike. Just keep 29 up front to use that roll over and than a fatter 27.5 tyre on the rear for comfort.

Agreed.i would go 27 too. I’m 6’ and hefty too and the large fits me perfectly. On the 27 too. Ride a lot of steep tech and the 29 wasn’t as comfortable as the 27. I can take it in the park and it jumps fantastic, then go pedal up a trail easily. The 29 I felt like I was too high so the steep stuff felt uncomfortable and not very nimble when it came to tight trails.

Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 8:51 Quote
could someone who has the capra 29 XL measure what the max insertion depth for a dropper post is?

yt claims it is 275 mm, found somewhere on pinkbike (can't remember where) that the bikeyoke 185 travel fits slammed which would make the actual insertion depth 289.5+ mm

looking to get a 210 mm oneup to replace the stock 150 mm and not sure if it will fit
my capra hasn't arrived yet so i can't measure myself

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 12:52 Quote
Well whatever size my wheel, it’s a step up from 26, and with a smidge of extra travel by default, I guess 27 inch it is, roger that guys.
Now the only question is to decipher YT’s sizing. It sounds like the recent years sizes are larger than usual? But 6-foot riders are still edging between L and XL? With reach-based sizing does the frame size even matter with a little bit of stem options?
I have measuring tape, is height and inseam enough to make a good frame size choice or should I go to a shop and see what specialized/trek would size me at?
Unfortunately there are no YT bikes in a 500 mile radius so testing them would be difficult

O+
Posted: Jun 25, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Well whatever size my wheel, it’s a step up from 26, and with a smidge of extra travel by default, I guess 27 inch it is, roger that guys.
Now the only question is to decipher YT’s sizing. It sounds like the recent years sizes are larger than usual? But 6-foot riders are still edging between L and XL? With reach-based sizing does the frame size even matter with a little bit of stem options?
I have measuring tape, is height and inseam enough to make a good frame size choice or should I go to a shop and see what specialized/trek would size me at?
Unfortunately there are no YT bikes in a 500 mile radius so testing them would be difficult
I’m 6’ with 31” inseam, short arms, longer torso. The XL is a bit too stretched out for me, and the longer wheelbase is noticeable on the north shore stuff. I also have large tues and it fits me perfectly. If you have longer inseam or longer arms you could size up to the XL. I would look at reach measurements first for sizing as a starting point.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 1:39 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:

Not necessarily. The seat angles from 2018 onwards are steeper so the even though a 2017 XL has the same reach as a 2018 L. The effective reach is shorter. Got stung with this a little and found my 2018 29 L a bit short even though I enjoyed the 2017 650b L. Ill be in Whistler at the end of August with a XL 650b if that helps? Im an inch under 6ft and went with the 650b XL this time. Plus the AL comp is specced with a 50mm stem which is a bit long. I have a 35mm to put on that straight away.

Posted: Jun 26, 2019 at 3:05 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
ImAManCheetah88 wrote:

Agreed.i would go 27 too. I’m 6’ and hefty too and the large fits me perfectly. On the 27 too. Ride a lot of steep tech and the 29 wasn’t as comfortable as the 27. I can take it in the park and it jumps fantastic, then go pedal up a trail easily. The 29 I felt like I was too high so the steep stuff felt uncomfortable and not very nimble when it came to tight trails.

Just to throw a spanner in the works...I had a 26" Orange when I lived in Morzine and found a trail/enduro bike to be preferable over a DH bike in almost all situations - I wasn't hitting Chatels biggest lines or anything like that and enjoyed the many days away from the lifts.

Moved onto the 27 Capra Pro Race from 2016 and was lucky enough to ride it in many different places in the world, mostly in BC (was based in Revelstoke) and the NW states of the US and it did every single thing. Whistler bike park days, gigantic XC loops, big mountains days in Morocco, Utah space rock (snapped the rim....) to big days in the Sacred Valley, Peru and even bigger days in the Mustang Valley, Nepal (Yeah im showing off a bit now) and apart from the snapped rim, it had no mechanicals, AT ALL. I replaced bits as they wore out and the thing did everything, I loved it!

Fast forward to now and I have the 29 Pro Race 2018. It does not climb as well, evident right away but im getting strength back and finding it less and less prohibitive as the days go by. I would love to go back and do some of the rides I did on the 29 now and see how it fairs, I dont find it any less manouverable at low or high speed and if anything it saves my ass when things start to get away from me.

Im currently back in Scotland and have ridden remote big mountain gnar, flowy stuff and tight techy enduro stuff, raced enduros and the Fort Bill WC track for instance.

Im 5'11 and I think, personally, above that height the 29 is the way to go but you would never be disappointed on a 27.

P.S. IF you can have a bike park bike and a trail bike, do it. As you probably know, bike parks rattle your bike to pieces in no time. If I lived in Whistler or Morzine again for instance I would have both.

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 13:38 Quote
Has anybody increased the fork travel from 170mm to 180mm on the current generation 27.5 Capra (without adjusting the shock)? If so, how does the handling change?

Also, I'm considering upgrading both the damper and airpsring on my Lyrik, but the damper is significantly more expensive than the airspring. Is getting the damper upgrade worth it for the additional cost?

Posted: Jun 28, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
Has anybody increased the fork travel from 170mm to 180mm on the current generation 27.5 Capra (without adjusting the shock)? If so, how does the handling change?

Also, I'm considering upgrading both the damper and airpsring on my Lyrik, but the damper is significantly more expensive than the airspring. Is getting the damper upgrade worth it for the additional cost?

Just did it when I swapped to the 2019 debonair spring in 180. Not a big change in geometry- you aren't adding that much travel and the negative air spring is bigger in the new 2019 (front end is probably only 6mm or so higher). The fork feels wayyyyy better though. Highly recommended.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018046
Mobile Version of Website