YT Capra Owners

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 2:07 Quote
Good to see some other long termers still being used and enjoyed. Youv'e done well with that e13 rear Endlessblocks I very rarely see MK1's with those wheels still on them. I'm on my 3rd set of wheels well 2 and a half really as just had new Dt xm481s swapped in to replace eyelet cracked Stans MK 3 rims. I think everything else is just about original spec-apart from new shock,a new debonair airshaft in Pike ,saddle and a bit of a downgrade to cheaper cogs/derailleur from original X01 to GX when they wore out.Had one reverb replaced under warranty-now built with nylon bushes to prevent it doing again.
That 29er should suit you well Grumposaur with it's presumed higher front end.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 2:20 Quote
GravesendGrunt wrote:
That 29er should suit you well Grumposaur with it's presumed higher front end.

Yes! 25mm more stack height and together with just slightly longer reach of 20mm, it should fit better out of the box.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 4:18 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
So I'm looking for another der hanger for my bike, does only YT sell them? (In Canada)
They do: https://ca.yt-industries.com/replacement-mech-hanger-capra-cf/al-/-black

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 4:42 Quote
do the 2019 models(AL base 29) have debonair?i have ordered mine in September and i am gonna get it in one month.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 10:17 Quote
amonas wrote:
do the 2019 models(AL base 29) have debonair?i have ordered mine in September and i am gonna get it in one month.

Yes

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 18:29 Quote
emusp wrote:
Hi

Looking to buy the new 2018 Capra AL Comp 27.5.

I'm 5'5 (165cm.) and in YT's size chart I'm right in the end of Small and in the beginning of Medium.
I have no other bike to compare with so I'm kinda lost if I should size up or down.

Saw a video on Youtube with a guy same height riding a Large, and he said it fit him perfect.
So i'm a little confused.

Is 440 reach long? I guess you could fit a 32mm. stem if necessary.

Sorry to drag up an old post, wondering what size you went with in the end?
I'm the same height and am currently tossing up between a 2019 Capra 27 small or medium. I have a 28inch inseam and shortish arms.

I currently have a 2018 Capra 29 in size medium (450 reach with a 40mm stem), but the bike feels a bit too big for me - I suffer from constant butt-buzz and don't feel like I can be very active on the bike

The reach on the small sounds OK (420mm with a 50mm stem), but the top tube seems tiny at 569mm.

Cheers

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
emusp wrote:
mtbakerpow wrote:
emusp wrote:
Hi

I'm 5'5 (165cm.) and in YT's size chart I'm right in the end of Small and in the beginning of Medium.
I have no other bike to compare with so I'm kinda lost if I should size up or down.

Saw a video on Youtube with a guy same height riding a Large, and he said it fit him perfect.

Get a medium,esp if you’re young and still growing.but even if you’re older and not growing having more than enough size rather than maybe not enough is a no brainer.

Not so young and not getting any taller unfortunately. Smile

I guess no matter if I pick a small or medium I will fit. The difference in length between the small and medium are only 24mm, and with a 32mm stem on the medium I can get down to almost the small reach.

But if I pick a small and want a longer reach, a longer stem will make handling worse I think.

Based on the above comment, I believe they went with a medium. They haven't posted anything since April 2018, maybe message them if you don't get a response on this thread.

Posted: Sep 26, 2019 at 1:21 Quote
PetrolHead209 wrote:
emusp wrote:
Hi

I'm the same height and am currently tossing up between a 2019 Capra 27 small or medium. I have a 28inch inseam and shortish arms.

I currently have a 2018 Capra 29 in size medium (450 reach with a 40mm stem), but the bike feels a bit too big for me - I suffer from constant butt-buzz and don't feel like I can be very active on the bike

The reach on the small sounds OK (420mm with a 50mm stem), but the top tube seems tiny at 569mm.

Cheers
My advice would be to buy a Medium 27". Because of the following reasoning:

- Butt buzz is wheel size related to leg size issue. It can be also slightly caused by being a novice rider and hanging around the back to much in general. Based on your length I think it is just a leg issues. (Note that even a lot of WC DH riders have 27 back wheel or complete 27" bike because of this reason).
- Eliminating butt-buzz will make you feel more comfortable overall
- Having 27" wheels with your length will probably feel more nimble and maneuverable. For example chainstays are also shorter on 27".
- Medium 27 has a reach of 440 which is already slightly shorter by 10mm. (Doesn't have your current one 454mm reach btw?) Although the stock stem is 50mm, resulting in about the same cockpit size while standing. You can always get an aftermarket stem of 40 or 30mm, and to avoid being bend forward to much due shortish arms: get a higher rise bar or stem if the stack is too low for your liking. Going down 30mm in reach on a S would be a huge difference. Also if it turns out too short....getting a longer stem is really messing up the ride.

Basically going down a wheelsize will fix your problems and leaves room to adjust the final fit with shorter stem or higher bars. Going down a wheelsize and a bikesize at the same time has a high risk of getting stuck with a too small bike with no options to adjust the fit. (Installing 60-70mm stems is not really in an option in my book regarding the ride position)

my 2 cnts

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 18:05 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
PetrolHead209 wrote:
emusp wrote:
Hi

Cheers

- Butt buzz is wheel size related to leg size issue. It can be also slightly caused by being a novice rider and hanging around the back to much in general. Based on your length I think it is just a leg issues. (Note that even a lot of WC DH riders have 27 back wheel or complete 27" bike because of this reason).
- Having 27" wheels with your length will probably feel more nimble and maneuverable. For example chainstays are also shorter on 27".
- Medium 27 has a reach of 440 which is already slightly shorter by 10mm. (Doesn't have your current one 454mm reach btw?) Although the stock stem is 50mm, resulting in about the same cockpit size while standing. You can always get an aftermarket stem of 40 or 30mm, and to avoid being bend forward to much due shortish arms: get a higher rise bar or stem if the stack is too low for your liking. Going down 30mm in reach on a S would be a huge difference. Also if it turns out too short....getting a longer stem is really messing up the ride.

Basically going down a wheelsize will fix your problems and leaves room to adjust the final fit with shorter stem or higher bars. Going down a wheelsize and a bikesize at the same time has a high risk of getting stuck with a too small bike with no options to adjust the fit. (Installing 60-70mm stems is not really in an option in my book regarding the ride position)

my 2 cnts

Thanks for the feedback.
I went and demoed a Commencal Clash in a size medium which is pretty comparable in reach to the medium Capra 27. Size felt good, wouldn't want to go any smaller! Felt better on the steep stuff but honestly not that big of a difference and I missed the roll over and stability that the 29er provides. I think I just need to improve my technique (e.g. not hang of the back so much) and stick with the 29er until it's time to upgrade.

Posted: Sep 28, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
PetrolHead209 wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
PetrolHead209 wrote:

Cheers

my 2 cnts

Thanks for the feedback.
I went and demoed a Commencal Clash in a size medium which is pretty comparable in reach to the medium Capra 27. Size felt good, wouldn't want to go any smaller! Felt better on the steep stuff but honestly not that big of a difference and I missed the roll over and stability that the 29er provides. I think I just need to improve my technique (e.g. not hang of the back so much) and stick with the 29er until it's time to upgrade.

But with your length a smaller back wheel might be the best. You can always see if any of your riding mates has a 27" rear wheel that fits and you can test your own 27-29 setup. Just buying a new rear wheel is much cheaper anyway than changing bikes.

This will lower your BB and slacken your head angle. Putting the flip chip in high probably works best. Anyway if you can borrow a wheel it is easy test to do.

Posted: Sep 30, 2019 at 8:56 Quote
Vespyl wrote:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried to put a 29 front wheel on a capra 27?

Curious about this too. Gotta be someone that has tried it

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 8:30 Quote
Hi everyone,

It's annoying. The frame of my YT capra (carbon, size XL) ripped just below the seat post on a uphill section. I have never had a crash with this bike. It was just the pedaling power (I'm not heavy) sitting on my saddle. My bike is now since weeks at YT in Germany (I'm Swiss) but the communication is very bad (e-mail, phone). They just tell me, that it takes some weeks until the new frame arrives. But on the website, the bike in XL is available immediately.

Did anyone of you have the same problem so far regarding the frame? Have you any good idea how I can put a bit pressure on YT?

Cheers,
Kevin

Check out the pictures:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Freefly85/album/YT-Capra-frame-ripping-during-uphill-section/

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
Freefly85 wrote:
Hi everyone,

It's annoying. The frame of my YT capra (carbon, size XL) ripped just below the seat post on a uphill section. I have never had a crash with this bike. It was just the pedaling power (I'm not heavy) sitting on my saddle. My bike is now since weeks at YT in Germany (I'm Swiss) but the communication is very bad (e-mail, phone). They just tell me, that it takes some weeks until the new frame arrives. But on the website, the bike in XL is available immediately.

Did anyone of you have the same problem so far regarding the frame? Have you any good idea how I can put a bit pressure on YT?

Cheers,
Kevin

Check out the pictures:
https://www.pinkbike.com/u/Freefly85/album/YT-Capra-frame-ripping-during-uphill-section/

I've not put anything on here about how bad my service has been as I wanted to get together the email trial for everyone to see but YT have been worse than I can of ever thought! Absolutely no service! I sent of a frame for warranty and after 2.5months, and weeks at a time of no contact from YT, my frame was shipped back. YT never told me if had been sent back so wasn't in for delivery... then frame went missing. DHL (UK) has zero service as well. YT didn't respond to me for 3 whole weeks! They are without doubt the worse company Ive ever dealt with.

Still do not have my frame! Their bikes are great. Their service is the worst. If you don't have any issues then all good.

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
Hi , does anybody have the info on the top and bottom headstock bearings and seals for capra 2018 mine are shot and need codes to order a hope setup...
Thanks in advance....

Posted: Oct 1, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
This is the bottom headset I recently installed in my '18 Capra 27 AL Comp. It's an excellent unit, installed easily (no press needed), and I will be getting the matching top when the time comes.

Cane Creek 40.ZS56 1.5" Bottom Headset

$34 shipped in the USA

PS I had to Dremel cut out the stock bearing race and cups, as the race had fused to the cup.

Rhy wrote:
Hi , does anybody have the info on the top and bottom headstock bearings and seals for capra 2018 mine are shot and need codes to order a hope setup...
Thanks in advance....

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015910
Mobile Version of Website