YT Capra Owners

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
How is that super strange, my inseam is just taller than yours...~90cm plus I wear thick shoes (oldskool impacts, another 1cm)

But isn't it weird that the sizes are covering 10cm increments in height, while the seat tube only grows with 20mm every size. I would say that on average 5cm of that increased size is due too legs.
I realise the other dimensions also increment with small margins, but that is mainly due to the fact that bigger people crouch more to stay low anyway. But with the seat-tube you are sure that people will have to properly sit for climbing...

Like look at 27" Capra range: the small range is for people averaging 160cm and the XXL for 195cm. That is a 35cm height difference. The difference in seat tube is 7cm...

And it is a clear trend looking around in the bikepark that people of 185cm and up really have fewer and fewer insertion.
For example look at this article: almost no-one is having his dropper in al the way to the collar.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/8-bike-checks-from-allos-french-enduro-series.html

It is nice that short people can now buy XL bikes, but if that would really make sense then the XL bike are still way to short for the people that are actually tall. I think we are passed the optimum point if a 155cm person can get away with a XL bike due to short seattube.
Further I don't see how XC style of riding has to do with it, but if an XL bike should fit a 183-193cm person and an XXL 192-202cm person. It should be designed such that this person can have his saddle at the riding height corresponding with the size group. If not then it should not be advertised like that.

Posted: Oct 3, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
...but if an XL bike should fit a 183-193cm person and an XXL 192-202cm person. It should be designed such that this person can have his saddle at the riding height corresponding with the size group. If not then it should not be advertised like that.

That is exactly the point with newer designed bikes made possible for the same bike to be used for a short person that wants longer reach and a taller person that want super high saddle point while pedaling because there are tons of options of the same value way longer droppers as the Reverb provided.

Bike manufacturers do care for market demand thereforore you cannot deny that only a small margin of people complain the seat tube is to shorty while there is a vast majority that would've gone longer but couldn't choose it since it was already to high.

To make it simple, you can always make it longer but never make it shorter.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
Has anybody changed their E13 cassette on a 2018 bike? I'm wondering if I need the E13 BB tool to do it.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 13:02 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
Has anybody changed their E13 cassette on a 2018 bike? I'm wondering if I need the E13 BB tool to do it.

I have and yes, you need the BB tool as it's not the pinch bolt version (well mine wasn't anyway).

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 15:09 Quote
My 18 has the pinch bolt E13 cassette.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 15:22 Quote
Ok, thanks guys, I guess I'll have to check what my bike has.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
Ok, thanks guys, I guess I'll have to check what my bike has.

Top tip if you don't have two chain whips. Leave the wheel in the bike and put it in the second largest cog. Put the chain whip on the second or third smallest cog. Use the pedals to hold the upper part of the cassette in place whilst using the chain whip to release the bottom half.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 5:15 Quote
rpet wrote:
My 18 has the pinch bolt E13 cassette.

Mine had the pinch bolt as well, you do need two chain whips though.

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 13:12 Quote
You don't need two chain whips... use the method the guy above mentioned. I've done it ~6 times with no issues.

getting the dang pinch bolt side of the cassette off the hub carrier is another issue. I need to invest in a larger hammer, I think. lol

Posted: Oct 5, 2019 at 16:29 Quote
Ok, sounds good, thanks for all the tips guys.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Just finished reading from page 1400ish. Looking at they yt website, I noticed the cf pros were are on sale for $1200 off, so decided to pull the trigger. Bought the 29er. I'm 6' even and decided on the xl.

Anyways, from what I've read I made a short list of things to get done before riding(I'll have all winter)

-Bleed the SRAM brakes
-Take the linkage apart & make sure all bearings are greased well
-Swap the ethirteen dropper to something else
-Bump travel to 170/170(I'll be riding a decent amount of park & enduro races)
-Set up tubeless
-Maybe replace the headset bearings? Heard a lot of people's get seized.
-Ridewrap in the states doesn't have the xl, so may have to order invisiframe from the UK.

Is their anything thing else that people are doing or would suggest before riding?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 21:17 Quote
Hauck wrote:
Just finished reading from page 1400ish. Looking at they yt website, I noticed the cf pros were are on sale for $1200 off, so decided to pull the trigger. Bought the 29er. I'm 6' even and decided on the xl.

Anyways, from what I've read I made a short list of things to get done before riding(I'll have all winter)

-Bleed the SRAM brakes
-Set up tubeless
-Ridewrap in the states doesn't have the xl, so may have to order invisiframe from the UK.

Is their anything thing else that people are doing or would suggest before riding?

Thanks in advance

I would wait on the E13 dropper. Some people love it (me) some hate it so its down to your preference.
Headset is something that you will want to replace before it needs replacing because it gets stuck in the frame so i'd plan on doing that within 4-5 months of owning it.
170 in the rear for sure, 170 up front I've avoided because with 29er wheels it leads to a pretty flex fork.
If you are not too bad with wrapping stuff just buying some 3M scotch guard (local autoparts shop probs have it) and cutting it yourself isn't too difficult.
Buy 1 or 2 spare derailleur hangars, They are weak and take a while to receive after ordering (mine took over 2 weeks).
If you have some extra budget, the organic pads that come on the bike don't last very long in the bike park.

Posted: Oct 8, 2019 at 21:26 Quote
Hauck wrote:

-Bleed the SRAM brakes
-Set up tubeless

Thanks in advance

Check the adhesive of the chain guard on seatstay. Double check the chain line of smallest cassette cog that it doesnt hit/rub that chain guard.

Mine got ripped by the chain because theres barely any clearance. Thankfully it didnt smack the heck out of that paint on the seatstay.

Also a good idea to check every rubber guards adhesive so they dont get caught on anything and easily rip off.

Check every bolt that its either appropriately tightened or torqued to spec.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
Davidsym wrote:
I would wait on the E13 dropper. Some people love it (me) some hate it so its down to your preference.
Headset is something that you will want to replace before it needs replacing because it gets stuck in the frame so i'd plan on doing that within 4-5 months of owning it.
170 in the rear for sure, 170 up front I've avoided because with 29er wheels it leads to a pretty flex fork.
If you are not too bad with wrapping stuff just buying some 3M scotch guard (local autoparts shop probs have it) and cutting it yourself isn't too difficult.
Buy 1 or 2 spare derailleur hangars, They are weak and take a while to receive after ordering (mine took over 2 weeks).
If you have some extra budget, the organic pads that come on the bike don't last very long in the bike park.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Would 170 be that bad? Rockshox makes the Lyrik up to 180mm for 29ers.

I did wrap my previous bike myself, not a problem, just takes a lot of time. Suppose I'll have time during the winter.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 11:56 Quote
Hello everyone,

I know that there are millions of size-wise questions, but after going trough many of the pages of this thread - I'm still not sure.
I have ordered YT Capra AL Comp in size Large (according to their size chart). I am 178cm high (5ft10), but I am not sure if I should have gone for the medium size. I used to ride dirt/street so I am familiar with small bikes, and my last one was Demo 8 in size Large, which I did find a bit long, stable, not so playful, but indeed fast. Looking at the Capra's chart, it seems even bigger than Demo everywhere except in wheelbase. I like nimble throw around bikes, long manuals and playfulness, so please tell me if I went wrong with the size, so maybe I can act before it is too late.

Thank you very much.
Cheers

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011844
Mobile Version of Website