YT Capra Owners

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
I am 5'10 and have a Capra in L. It's a perfect fit as far as I'm concerned, stable at speed, but still pretty maneuverable in the air. Not as much as a smaller DJ/street bike, but that's to be expected, as it wasn't really designed for that.

Posted: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
phillip-of-newcastle wrote:
Hello everyone,

I know that there are millions of size-wise questions, but after going trough many of the pages of this thread - I'm still not sure.
I have ordered YT Capra AL Comp in size Large (according to their size chart). I am 178cm high (5ft10), but I am not sure if I should have gone for the medium size. I used to ride dirt/street so I am familiar with small bikes, and my last one was Demo 8 in size Large, which I did find a bit long, stable, not so playful, but indeed fast. Looking at the Capra's chart, it seems even bigger than Demo everywhere except in wheelbase. I like nimble throw around bikes, long manuals and playfulness, so please tell me if I went wrong with the size, so maybe I can act before it is too late.

Thank you very much.
Cheers

I am 175cm tall and I got the medium. I tried my friend’s Large Capra 29 and it felt too big for me. You might just be able to handle the large with a short stem.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
None of those things were required on my bike, other than setting it up tubeless.

The headset bearings lasted 1500mi.
The e13 dropper has needed nothing, tho I finally swapped it for a 200mm travel one after a year of riding.
I'm on the stock bleed on the brakes.

Davidsym wrote:
Hauck wrote:
Just finished reading from page 1400ish. Looking at they yt website, I noticed the cf pros were are on sale for $1200 off, so decided to pull the trigger. Bought the 29er. I'm 6' even and decided on the xl.

Anyways, from what I've read I made a short list of things to get done before riding(I'll have all winter)

-Bleed the SRAM brakes
-Take the linkage apart & make sure all bearings are greased well
-Swap the ethirteen dropper to something else
-Bump travel to 170/170(I'll be riding a decent amount of park & enduro races)
-Set up tubeless
-Maybe replace the headset bearings? Heard a lot of people's get seized.
-Ridewrap in the states doesn't have the xl, so may have to order invisiframe from the UK.

Is their anything thing else that people are doing or would suggest before riding?

Thanks in advance

I would wait on the E13 dropper. Some people love it (me) some hate it so its down to your preference.
Headset is something that you will want to replace before it needs replacing because it gets stuck in the frame so i'd plan on doing that within 4-5 months of owning it.
170 in the rear for sure, 170 up front I've avoided because with 29er wheels it leads to a pretty flex fork.
If you are not too bad with wrapping stuff just buying some 3M scotch guard (local autoparts shop probs have it) and cutting it yourself isn't too difficult.
Buy 1 or 2 spare derailleur hangars, They are weak and take a while to receive after ordering (mine took over 2 weeks).
If you have some extra budget, the organic pads that come on the bike don't last very long in the bike park.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
Hey.

Got problem on my dt swiss e1900 front wheel, got like 1mm side to side play on it, which feels pretty annoying. Now im wondering where the problem could be, as the bearings feels smooth and all good. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 15:15 Quote
I’m looking for a new bike for my 15 year old son and the 2019 Capra looks like a good bet. We ride North Shore and Whistler bike park so need a bike that can climb as well as descend well. Would the Capra fit the bill? Also I’m struggling with sizing. He’s 5’-7” with 33” inseam 120lbs and still growing. Based on YTs sizing chart he’s at the upper end of the range for a medium but at the low end of the range for a large.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 16:06 Quote
ekfc63 wrote:
I’m looking for a new bike for my 15 year old son and the 2019 Capra looks like a good bet. We ride North Shore and Whistler bike park so need a bike that can climb as well as descend well. Would the Capra fit the bill? Also I’m struggling with sizing. He’s 5’-7” with 33” inseam 120lbs and still growing. Based on YTs sizing chart he’s at the upper end of the range for a medium but at the low end of the range for a large.
If he's still growing get a L, it'll work for him now and well into the future (maybe until he's old enough he can justify buying a bike with his own money). Beyond that one (somewhat obvious) insight, I don't have much to add (I'm 5'10" and ride a L 27.5, which is a perfect size).

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 16:10 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
ekfc63 wrote:
If he's still growing get a L, it'll work for him now and well into the future (maybe until he's old enough he can justify buying a bike with his own money). Beyond that one (somewhat obvious) insight, I don't have much to add (I'm 5'10" and ride a L 27.5, which is a perfect size).

Agree with @coaster156 - a L would last him 3-5 years. I’m 5’8 3/4 to be exact and I ride a M. I feel the L is too big for me. If you get him a M, it might just last him a year or two.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Hey Attek, have a look at your tire bead all the way around. Sometimes the tire will be tucked in just a bit rather than set perfect, this can cause a weird wobble in the tire. I have had to use a compressor to seat the tire with a firm pop ( multiple pop) to get a tire set all the way around. If your hub and rim are true, your tire seating can still screw it all up. Also some tires even seated perfect can still throw a mm her or there. Just cause they are expensive doesnt mean they are perfect or even acceptable...

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 23:04 Quote
I've got a capra 29 AL comp coming what should I be looking out for when I open the box.
Anyone had dramas from first ride?

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 13:25 Quote
farrivillaga wrote:
Has someone tried to install an Oval Chainring in a ethirteen trs plus crankset on a Capra? any suggestions as i do not find any that could fit

Hi! I have just installed a 28t oneup, oval, NON-boost chain ring. It fits great and the chainline is perfect for my needs: i do a lot, I mean a LOT of climbing with the Capra Pro Race 2018, 29" because I need to climb everything I'll be descending... With the NON-boost chainring from oneup, the chainline is a bit more toward the biggest cog. I first bought a 12 sp GX chain so it can go as smoothly as it was on my last bike (RM Altitude), but it did not work that well on the capra. The Sram Chainlink, which is a bit curved, was getting stocked in the derailleur pulleys (still the xtr). I changed for a XTR/Dura Ace chain, and it is now smooth. Remember to adjust the B screw so there is 6mm between largest cog and the upper pulley. Also, I had to remove a few spacers to adjust the chainguide closer to the frame and I had to put the crankset spacers between the chainring and the lockring as opposed as between the crankset arm and the chainring. I can now pedal backward at least 10 full rotation (probably a lot more but i stopped counting) at a good speed on the 3 biggest cog without the chain dropping down a cog. I also replaced the aluminum cogs with a TRS Race set instead of a TRS Plus. Don't know if it changes anything in my setup since I bought the bike used and did not experiment with a new "Plus cog set". But what i know is that i never had the chainline, the chain and the cassette working that good all together. The chain is 110 link long + the quick link.

Hope it can help someone.

Posted: Oct 16, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
matfo wrote:
farrivillaga wrote:
Has someone tried to install an Oval Chainring in a ethirteen trs plus crankset on a Capra? any suggestions as i do not find any that could fit

Hi! I have just installed a 28t oneup, oval, NON-boost chain ring. It fits great and the chainline is perfect for my needs: i do a lot, I mean a LOT of climbing with the Capra Pro Race 2018, 29" because I need to climb everything I'll be descending... With the NON-boost chainring from oneup, the chainline is a bit more toward the biggest cog. I first bought a 12 sp GX chain so it can go as smoothly as it was on my last bike (RM Altitude), but it did not work that well on the capra. The Sram Chainlink, which is a bit curved, was getting stocked in the derailleur pulleys (still the xtr). I changed for a XTR/Dura Ace chain, and it is now smooth. Remember to adjust the B screw so there is 6mm between largest cog and the upper pulley. Also, I had to remove a few spacers to adjust the chainguide closer to the frame and I had to put the crankset spacers between the chainring and the lockring as opposed as between the crankset arm and the chainring. I can now pedal backward at least 10 full rotation (probably a lot more but i stopped counting) at a good speed on the 3 biggest cog without the chain dropping down a cog. I also replaced the aluminum cogs with a TRS Race set instead of a TRS Plus. Don't know if it changes anything in my setup since I bought the bike used and did not experiment with a new "Plus cog set". But what i know is that i never had the chainline, the chain and the cassette working that good all together. The chain is 110 link long + the quick link.

I have a 2019 Capra cf pro with sram GX. I feel like the chainline is also not ideal. Isn't that part of what boost is supposed to do? Maybe I'm just a little OCD about it, but it seems to me that I had a better chainline on my saint 10 speed equipped downhill bike that shifted perfectly and didn't make any strange noises. Although my current eagle GX equipped capra shifts OK, or at least better now that I have adjusted it using the little red plastic tool, b tension and all that... I don't know if that is just as good as it's going to get, if the chainline could be ameliorated or if I should just give up and go xt/xtr.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
brassinne wrote:
matfo wrote:
farrivillaga wrote:

I have a 2019 Capra cf pro with sram GX. I feel like the chainline is also not ideal. Isn't that part of what boost is supposed to do? Maybe I'm just a little OCD about it, but it seems to me that I had a better chainline on my saint 10 speed equipped downhill bike that shifted perfectly and didn't make any strange noises. Although my current eagle GX equipped capra shifts OK, or at least better now that I have adjusted it using the little red plastic tool, b tension and all that... I don't know if that is just as good as it's going to get, if the chainline could be ameliorated or if I should just give up and go xt/xtr.

You sir, just 'ameliorated' my vocabulary!

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
Hey Capra owners, i read about 100+ pages of this post and didn't see an answer to some questions that I have

1) 29" Capra Pro vs Comp AL- Is there a significant weight difference?(med)
I think I read that the CF builds are around 31-32lbs? but have yet to see anything about the Al Comp/base

2) Has anyone had the exp riding both frames b2b? I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference between the frames materials

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 11:45 Quote
ehfour wrote:
Hey Capra owners, i read about 100+ pages of this post and didn't see an answer to some questions that I have

I think I read that the CF builds are around 31-32lbs? but have yet to see anything about the Al Comp/base

2) Has anyone had the exp riding both frames b2b? I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference between the frames materials

1) weights are listed on the YT website...

2) If you're asking this question, you probably won't notice a difference TBH.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 12:14 Quote
code26 wrote:
ehfour wrote:

1) weights are listed on the YT website...

2) If you're asking this question, you probably won't notice a difference TBH.

I believe that the weights on the YT site are based on the smallest frame possible, just curious about real world weights with pedals, sealant, and all the different builds

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011706
Mobile Version of Website