YT Capra Owners

Author Message
Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 12:56 Quote
ehfour wrote:
code26 wrote:
ehfour wrote:
Hey Capra owners, i read about 100+ pages of this post and didn't see an answer to some questions that I have

1) 29" Capra Pro vs Comp AL- Is there a significant weight difference?(med)
I think I read that the CF builds are around 31-32lbs? but have yet to see anything about the Al Comp/base

2) Has anyone had the exp riding both frames b2b? I'm curious if there is a noticeable difference between the frames materials

1) weights are listed on the YT website...

2) If you're asking this question, you probably won't notice a difference TBH.

I believe that the weights on the YT site are based on the smallest frame possible, just curious about real world weights with pedals, sealant, and all the different builds

If you actually look on the website, the 'smallest frame possible' IS a Medium!! The weight difference of pedals, sealant, etc. is so negligible and you asked about a 'significant weight difference'. As far as different builds... the Pro & Comp AL both are standard builds (everyone gets the same build) so I don't know what you mean by 'all the different builds'. Just add the weight of YOUR pedals and boom! You have your answer! Or don't worry about a couple grams and just ride yer bike!

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 14:25 Quote
code26 wrote:
ehfour wrote:
code26 wrote:


1) weights are listed on the YT website...

2) If you're asking this question, you probably won't notice a difference TBH.

I believe that the weights on the YT site are based on the smallest frame possible, just curious about real world weights with pedals, sealant, and all the different builds

If you actually look on the website, the 'smallest frame possible' IS a Medium!! The weight difference of pedals, sealant, etc. is so negligible and you asked about a 'significant weight difference'. As far as different builds... the Pro & Comp AL both are standard builds (everyone gets the same build) so I don't know what you mean by 'all the different builds'. Just add the weight of YOUR pedals and boom! You have your answer! Or don't worry about a couple grams and just ride yer bike!

Good call, a few grams here an there aint going to make a break it

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 14:31 Quote
ehfour wrote:
code26 wrote:
ehfour wrote:


I believe that the weights on the YT site are based on the smallest frame possible, just curious about real world weights with pedals, sealant, and all the different builds

If you actually look on the website, the 'smallest frame possible' IS a Medium!! The weight difference of pedals, sealant, etc. is so negligible and you asked about a 'significant weight difference'. As far as different builds... the Pro & Comp AL both are standard builds (everyone gets the same build) so I don't know what you mean by 'all the different builds'. Just add the weight of YOUR pedals and boom! You have your answer! Or don't worry about a couple grams and just ride yer bike!

Good call, a few grams here an there aint going to make a break it


If you really want to drop some noticeable weight, trade out the tires for something lighter. You can drop almost a full pound of rotational weight, just by swapping the tires for something lighter. The Ethirteens are approximately 1100 grams each, swapping for 900 gram tires drops 200 grams per tire for a total of approximately 400 grams. It's a noticeable difference.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 14:47 Quote
[Quote="chrisk"]
ehfour wrote:
code26 wrote:


If you actually look on the website, the 'smallest frame possible' IS a Medium!! The weight difference of pedals, sealant, etc. is so negligible and you asked about a 'significant weight difference'. As far as different builds... the Pro & Comp AL both are standard builds (everyone gets the same build) so I don't know what you mean by 'all the different builds'. Just add the weight of YOUR pedals and boom! You have your answer! Or don't worry about a couple grams and just ride yer bike!

Good call, a few grams here an there aint going to make a break it[/Quote


If you really want to drop some noticeable weight, trade out the tires for something lighter. You can drop almost a full pound of rotational weight, just by swapping the tires for something lighter. The Ethirteens are approximately 1100 grams each, swapping for 900 gram tires drops 200 grams per tire for a total of approximately 400 grams. It's a noticeable difference.

But have you experienced running DH casing tires on a trailbike? It's wonderful! Stiffer casing feels more solid, less skippy, and can take a beating! Personally, I wouldn't choose tires as the part to save weight with.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 16:35 Quote
You don't weigh a Capra, you ride it. Metal ones are the correct weight, CFs weigh a little less.

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
My Large 2019 Capra Al Base 27.5 with DMR Vault V2 pedals (430g, almost an extra pound) is just barely 34 pounds
I’m not too worried about the overall weight, but eventually I might replace the NX cassette to a lighter one (XX1 cassette is almost half the weight of NX) which would remove over half a pound of weight in an important area

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Luv it! thanks guys.

Im by no strech an weigh weenie..I get the heavy/burly bike thing coming off an Aluminum SBG Transition Patrol= 34lbs

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
I just bought a medium Capra 29 Race Pro for my son for delivery at the end of the month and am thinking that I'll need to swap out the headset. For those that have done this what size is the headset and who makes a decent quality one that isn't going to break the bank? Is it a straightforward job that a regular semi handy guy can do? Are any special tools required?

Are there any other substandard parts that need upgrading?

On another note, I was struggling with choosing a size for him and ended up emailing YT who said he should be on a medium (he's 5'7") and that the conversion from cm to inches on the website is not super accurate and that large are actually for 5'-9" to 6'-0". Hope this is useful for anyone trying to decide on size.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 15:05 Quote
ekfc63 wrote:
I just bought a Capra 29 Race Pro for delivery at the end of the month and am thinking that I'll need to swap out the headset. For those that have done this what size is the headset and who makes a decent quality one that isn't going to break the bank? Is it a straightforward job that a regular semi handy guy can do? Are any special tools required?

Are there any other substandard parts that need upgrading?

My POS Acros headset still allows the bike to turn after nearly 5 years. How much extra 'performance' does one need from a headset? That said, you'll probably need a press.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
ekfc63 wrote:
I just bought a Capra 29 Race Pro for delivery at the end of the month and am thinking that I'll need to swap out the headset. For those that have done this what size is the headset and who makes a decent quality one that isn't going to break the bank? Is it a straightforward job that a regular semi handy guy can do? Are any special tools required?

Are there any other substandard parts that need upgrading?

My POS Acros headset still allows the bike to turn after nearly 5 years. How much extra 'performance' does one need from a headset? That said, you'll probably need a press.

I guess I'm just concerned by all the negative comments on the OEM headset. YT do seem to cost cut on a few non headline parts.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
This...

endlessblockades wrote:
ekfc63 wrote:
I just bought a Capra 29 Race Pro for delivery at the end of the month and am thinking that I'll need to swap out the headset. For those that have done this what size is the headset and who makes a decent quality one that isn't going to break the bank? Is it a straightforward job that a regular semi handy guy can do? Are any special tools required?

Are there any other substandard parts that need upgrading?

My POS Acros headset still allows the bike to turn after nearly 5 years. How much extra 'performance' does one need from a headset? That said, you'll probably need a press.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
ekfc63 wrote:

I guess I'm just concerned by all the negative comments on the OEM headset. YT do seem to cost cut on a few non headline parts.

Yeah, it's really hit and miss on YT bike parts. For some, cassettes, dropper posts, headsets, etc fail straight out of the box. And for others, those same parts give no problems and last forever. It's strange.

My (Capra 29) e*13 cassette, dropper post and the headset are like new after 13 months of everyday riding. YMMV

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 0:01 Quote
Hi I’ve got the Capra cf 2016/17 great bike but I ride mostly uplifts with it and have noticed I’m getting some serious arm pump from the rct3 lyrics (I’m 51 so age is maybe a factor) so I’m thinking of upgrading to the 2020 Lyrik Ultimate for after reading great reviews, has anyone done the same or Riding with these forks that can say how good/bad they are compared to the rct3 Lyrik and also would the 180/46 travel fork be ok for the bike
Thanks

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 1:28 Quote
[Quote="ekfc63"]I just bought a medium Capra 29 Race Pro for my son for delivery at the end of the month and am thinking that I'll need to swap out the headset. For those that have done this what size is the headset and who makes a decent quality one that isn't going to break the bank? Is it a straightforward job that a regular semi handy guy can do? Are any special tools

I have a 2017 Capra with the same headset and no issues. My advice is replace it when it breaks.

Posted: Oct 23, 2019 at 5:30 Quote
vkom wrote:
Hi I’ve got the Capra cf 2016/17 great bike but I ride mostly uplifts with it and have noticed I’m getting some serious arm pump from the rct3 lyrics (I’m 51 so age is maybe a factor) so I’m thinking of upgrading to the 2020 Lyrik Ultimate for after reading great reviews, has anyone done the same or Riding with these forks that can say how good/bad they are compared to the rct3 Lyrik and also would the 180/46 travel fork be ok for the bike
Thanks

I would imagine that the fork you have could be tuned or maintained to improve your situation. (Before spending $1000 or more)
Here's a couple other ideas that I would suggest to try first to battle your arm pump:
1. Raise your brake levers up to be flatter with the ground. The idea here is that your palms are behind the handlebar, pushing into the bar/grip rather than on top of your grip holding on with your fingers. (Free)
2. I recently bought a pair of Sensus Meaty Paw grips and man! Probably the best solution to arm pump I've experienced yet. (About $40 USD)


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012731
Mobile Version of Website