YT Capra Owners

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
Can anyone tell me what the shock hardware size is for a 2019 Capra AL 27? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the shock hardware size is for a 2019 Capra AL 27? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Did you check the exploded view on the official website? It' seems to be on there, depending on what you're looking for exactly.

Posted: Feb 13, 2020 at 10:32 Quote
coaster156 wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:

Did you check the exploded view on the official website? It' seems to be on there, depending on what you're looking for exactly.

Perfect. Thank you! For anyone else wondering it is 8x30mm Front and 8x40mm Rear.

Posted: Feb 15, 2020 at 22:28 Quote
Searched and didn't find anything.

I just got a new to me 2017 Capra CF 275 and after only one ride, I love it. However, I found an issue and am wondering if it’s merely cosmetic or if it’s more serious and requires further action.

The outside of the RH chainstay has a crack in the paint that is directly outboard of the mount point with the forward link. I am wondering if this cracked paint is an indication of damage of the underlying seat stay.

I sent an email to YT for an answer but I’m also asking here to get the straight dope from the tribe.

Also, this paint 'blemish' was hidden under a sticker. I removed the sticker and found the cracked paint. So if the problem is more than cosmetic, I may have to file a claim against the seller.

Thanks!

paint crack on rh seatstay outboard of forward link mounting point

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 8:37 Quote
Hello,

there is an issue known to YT.There is a guy we meet here in the trails that when he saw me and my friend riding a capra , told us about that problem.He had a 2018 650b Capra.He said that he took action with a lawyer etc.Every time he sees us he asks if we mentioned anything on our frames.This comes because of unnecessary tension put on the screw from the inside and low quality product from YT(according to him).

i dont want to be misjudged here.I am totally satisfied from my bike and from YT aftersales support.I am only stating what he said.And to be fair he STILL ride a YT 650b limited edition .....

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 9:46 Quote
@amonas - thanks for the reply.
my main concern is if this is a structural/safety issue. and if so, is it possible for a diy repair.

i bought the bike used, so warranty it most likely not an option. also, i'm not looking for showroom condition, the chipped paint is not a concern. cf damage is, though.

the previous owner stated that the bike was sent to YT and all the bearings were replaced, so it's possible that the tech over torqued the hardware and caused the damage.

for now, here's my band-aid fix. Smile

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18288853/

Posted: Feb 16, 2020 at 11:51 Quote
It's hard to tell from the pic. Is there any carbon fiber layers directly bellow the paint or on the paint chip it self or is the metal hardware directly under? My point being, if it is just paint peeling off the metal part that is bonded in there I would probably still consider it usable.

I changed the bearings on my now 4+ year old frame twice and never had that happen.

//edit: after super close inspection of mine I found this on the non-drive side. It seems to be the exact diameter of the pivot point screw, so I would conclude that the HW goes all the way across the whole width of the stay and is cowered just by paint?

Posted: Feb 17, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
ParkMeister, when you go it the previous owner had placed a sticker over the damage? Like an aftermarket sticker to hide the damage? If so that is incredibly shady.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 5:23 Quote
Now you guys are going to make me check out my bike. Eek

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:24 Quote
Got an email reply from YT support and just had a chat with them over the phone. From the pic, he gave it a thumbs down. Frown

I now have to decide whether to 1) replace it ($399), 2) have it repaired professionally, 3) attempt a DIY repair, or 4) just ride it as is and monitor the situation.

I also need to contact the seller, but I'm not pointing any fingers or laying blame for now.

After only two rides so far, I gotta say, this bike f*cking rocks.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:40 Quote
Will they let you buy the replacement seatstay/rear triangle without sending it in?

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 17:56 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
Will they let you buy the replacement seatstay/rear triangle without sending it in?

I didn't ask, but my assumption is yes. It's not a warranty issue since I'm not the original owner, I'd just be buying the seat stay assembly as if it was for a crash replacement.

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
Sorry that you got scammed, but $400 isn’t a ton of cash compared to a new frame.

Will an aluminum seat stay bolt up? ????

Posted: Feb 18, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
parkmeister wrote:
Got an email reply from YT support and just had a chat with them over the phone. From the pic, he gave it a thumbs down. Frown

I now have to decide whether to 1) replace it ($399), 2) have it repaired professionally, 3) attempt a DIY repair, or 4) just ride it as is and monitor the situation.

I also need to contact the seller, but I'm not pointing any fingers or laying blame for now.

After only two rides so far, I gotta say, this bike f*cking rocks.

If you're digging the bike - ride the hell out of it. Enjoy it! And buy the replacement part and have it around if/when you need it or if you sell it.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 0:02 Quote
I have a good friend who works with carbon bikes for a living.
I had a second hand Nomad that the chain jumped off the little sprocket, jammed between the cassette and dropout, then jumped out again as I rode along. It chipped the inside of the dropout and there were loose fibres hanging out.
I was advised to use epoxy and make a kind of bubble all over it and then some.
I used my surfboard repair kit. It did the job and worked a treat.
Yours looks like it could be a higher stress area but that technique might get you by until you can replace it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013843
Mobile Version of Website