YT Capra Owners

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 9:43 Quote
parkmeister wrote:
@amonas - thanks for the reply.
my main concern is if this is a structural/safety issue. and if so, is it possible for a diy repair.

i bought the bike used, so warranty it most likely not an option. also, i'm not looking for showroom condition, the chipped paint is not a concern. cf damage is, though.

the previous owner stated that the bike was sent to YT and all the bearings were replaced, so it's possible that the tech over torqued the hardware and caused the damage.

for now, here's my band-aid fix. Smile

photo
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18288853/

I would be inclined to remove the band aid, peel the scab back and take a look at the carbon underneath. Unlike most metal, you can easily work with carbon using epoxy and even repair sheets - like a surfboard repair mentioned earlier. I'd sand back the paint around the wound to see if there are any cracks, and if not, just do whatever pleases you aesthetically and ride it til the wheels fall off.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
The way that paint chip or blemish or what ever it is called happened is so that something had to push it out from the inside. Now the question is, whether it was pushed via a layer of carbon which would indicate structural damage to the stay or whether the screw is somehow able directly push on the layer of paint from underneath.

It's not really paint either. I think someone from YT once told me that they used some sort of thermoplastic as the final "paint" layer. But don't quote me on that, it was years ago. In the exploded drawing on YT's website it shows the frame kind of naked "without the paint" and there is what looks to be a thru hole in that part of the stay on the picture. Indicating it is possible for the pivot screw to poke thru without actually damaging the say it self. But hard to confirm that without actually removing the paint in that part and taking a look (or at least taking the stay completely off, removing the pivot screw and taking a look from the inside where the female thread is).

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 7:11 Quote
Anyone any contact details for management or a complaints department at YT?
Currently dealing with someone called Chris and tbh they are being useless and changing their words.
Spoke with someone called Matt on the phone in July when I got my 2019 AL comp and there was some issues.
Had a nice chat about the bike and I said how much I appreciated some things.
Also talked about used the dual crown forks and they said they only thing to advise on is reducing the travel to 180mm.
Now it had obviously slipped their mind that they were talking about an ally capra.
I have since found out that the ally capra cannot safely take DC forks.
This is after selling most of the parts on my DH bike and my lovely grip 2 36’s.
Now all the parts that were sold where based on YT’s advice and its now cost me a lot of money as I don’t have a bike I can safely ride and cant build my DH bike or capra like they were without selling the parts.
I asked them 4 times do they not record the phone conversations and they ignored it.
They have now gone from saying its “unlikely” they advised this to “I have spoken with Matthew and he confirmed”.
Constantly going back on their word, ignoring me and trying to cover tracks.
Their advice has cost me a tonne of money and they don’t seem to give a shit.
Pumped over $10k into this brand in 2 years and now all im getting is absolutely no help at all.
Feel stupid for recommending them at all.
Now im down on a lot of parts and no bike to safely ride.
Or even safely ride and not be pissed off at the fact that im riding a brand that have f*cked me over.
Pisses me off of sly they are now being about any responsibility and changing their words.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 8:48 Quote
drmantistobogganmd wrote:
Currently dealing with someone called Chris and tbh they are being useless and changing their words.
Spoke with someone called Matt on the phone in July when I got my 2019 AL comp and there was some issues.
Also talked about used the dual crown forks and they said they only thing to advise on is reducing the travel to 180mm.
Now it had obviously slipped their mind that they were talking about an ally capra.
This is after selling most of the parts on my DH bike and my lovely grip 2 36’s.
Now all the parts that were sold where based on YT’s advice and its now cost me a lot of money as I don’t have a bike I can safely ride and cant build my DH bike or capra like they were without selling the parts.
I asked them 4 times do they not record the phone conversations and they ignored it.
They have now gone from saying its “unlikely” they advised this to “I have spoken with Matthew and he confirmed”.
Pumped over $10k into this brand in 2 years and now all im getting is absolutely no help at all.
Or even safely ride and not be pissed off at the fact that im riding a brand that have f*cked me over.
Pisses me off of sly they are now being about any responsibility and changing their words.

I dealt with Matt over a warranty claim and it took ages and ages. There were times when I didn't have a response for 3 weeks!!! The customer service is the worse I've known.

I wouldn't worry about using DC. Just put the forks on and ride it. if you need to make a warranty claim then obviously don't tell them you had them on.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
It seems so obvious that you would do that, and yet it comes up again and again.
“I want to try a 180 Lyrik but the warranty only goes up to 160 so I can’t!”

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 9:49 Quote
Funny thing is, that the axle to crown of a, say, 180mm Fox 36 is probably as high as a2c of a Fox 40 at 200mm due to how much space the single crown construction takes up compared to the lower clamp of a triple clamp fork....

Not helping, I know.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 11:14 Quote

If you want to put a dual crown fork on your Capra, do it. Plenty have already. Here's an alloy with a Boxxer. Looks fantastic imo.
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
kwapik wrote:

If you want to put a dual crown fork on your Capra, do it. Plenty have already. Here's an alloy with a Boxxer. Looks fantastic imo.
photo
photo
photo

That was actually my old Capra and loved it. Unfortunately didn't have a ton of time on it as I broke my tib/fib that summer. That was set up 170mm rear and 200mm front, but if you can, run it 180mm rear

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 16:41 Quote
Yeah, I remember you doing it. Thought it was totally cool. Seen a few others too - both cf and alloy - all awesome.

I was trying to tell him if he wants a dc on his Capra - go for it. It's his bike.

Posted: Feb 20, 2020 at 22:40 Quote
What’s the balance of the bike with a dc? Doesn’t the front travel come too much compared to the rear?

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 8:20 Quote
Capra AL with 180 front, 170 rear rode great. Mine is now 180/180 and it still rides excellent though I wish I had a 64 HA.

I would love to throw a Boxxer on there but I pedal this bike up the mountain 90% of the time.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 12:04 Quote
Install an Works Components angleset on it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
kwapik wrote:
photo

[/PI]

Sexy AF

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
I’ve thought about it. I had one 12 years ago on an Iron Horse.

Are you running one?

kwapik wrote:
Install an Works Components angleset on it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 at 23:30 Quote
Yeah, I installed one on my alloy Capra. It's 64° in high position. I went with the Works Components brand as some Cane Creek anglesets are prone to creaking. And it is more reasonable.

I feel the bike just handles better in the corners and basically tracks better - especially at higher speeds. I'd say a more planted feeling. I really don't notice anything different with it going uphill.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024173
Mobile Version of Website