YT Capra Owners

Author Message
Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
I'm at 2700 mi on my 18 AL Comp 27.

I just took it all apart and the stock bearings are fine. All the axles and other hardware do not need replacing. I bought bearings and pullers/presses and do no need to use them yet.

I replaced the stock RaceFace PF30 Cinch BB. The stock one could have gone a bit longer... not crunchy but very free spinning (stock grease was gone).
Removing the BB with a screwdriver and hammer was easy. Installing the new one with a rubber mallet took seconds.

I've now replaced the bottom and top headset with a Cane Creek 40. The top bearing still had a bit of life left in it. I had to Dremel the old bearing races out as the races were seized to the stock headset cups. The CC40 installed in seconds with grease and a rubber mallet. Zero issues with install. If I had a carbon frame I might bother with a press (I don't own a press). Bottom stock bearing was crunchy by 1500 mi.

I live in California, don't ride in rain or snow, though my local trails have a couple small water crossings year round. So the bike gets splashed 10-12 times per week.

I'm about 160 lbs and do not go super big, but this bike has 2 weeks at whistler on it, multiple shuttle days on "DH" type trails, plus a couple other lift access days, and plenty of very rocky descents each week.

Other mods:
One Up 200mm dropper. Fits fine in my size L 27 frame. I need to mount the post about 20mm above fully slammed to get proper leg extension.
Extended Lyrik 170 to 180 with 2019 180mm air spring. No issues. I run 1 token and rarely bottom out.
Had my suspension guy cut the spacer out of the Super Deluxe, so it now gets ~180mm rear travle and seems to ramp up bit more at bottom of travell. No issues. It has 1 token, as stock.
Stock Raceface 32T was pretty worn (but not dropping chains) by about 1500 mi. Replaced it with another aluminum RF ring for $25.
Wore out the e.13 cassette, bought a new set of low gear for the e.13. Then went to a 12speed 9-46 e.13 cassette and paired it with a XT 12 speed long cage Der and matching shifter. E13 requires a non-shimano chain to work correctly with XT 12 speed, so I went with a Sram chain. The 12spd "upgrade" didn't change much, as the range is the same, but I didn't want to invest in more 11spd parts. Works fine. I like the double-click upshift on Shimano 12spd!
Stock Code bleeds were fine as delivered. I'm still on the stock rear bleed, but I did shorten the front hose and rebled.
I've probably burned 8 sets of brake pads, and I burn about 5 tires per year, depending. I run MaxxTerra or equivalent compounds from Schwalbe and Miche.

Thought y'all might be interested in my results.

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 15:01 Quote
Could your dropper drop right the way in if you wanted it to?

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
Yes, I could slam the post.

Someone earlier in the thread said they couldn’t on a Capra AL 29.

jaame wrote:
Could your dropper drop right the way in if you wanted it to?

Posted: Feb 26, 2020 at 23:15 Quote
Thanks. I’ve got a large 2020 aluminium and I want the oneup 210, but I don’t want to go to all the trouble and end up running it at 190. It’s a tricky one because you can’t exactly turn up at your local shop with a YT and ask them to try it, and then say no thanks when it doesn’t fit.

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
a small upgrade.Due to my "experience" with a coil rear shock on my 650b Capra, i trusted my gut and went for coil.....The super Deluxe is perfect.The climb switch makes it a HT and the descents......yes i still believe that the best choice for this particular bike is a coil shock.

the 170 air shaft is on its way......

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
amonas wrote:
a small upgrade.Due to my "experience" with a coil rear shock on my 650b Capra, i trusted my gut and went for coil.....The super Deluxe is perfect.The climb switch makes it a HT and the descents......yes i still believe that the best choice for this particular bike is a coil shock.

the 170 air shaft is on its way......
Wunderbar! I've been looking at swapping to a super deluxe coil.

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 19:30 Quote
Just swapped the Float X2 for a Super Deluxe coil on my ‘18 Capra pro 27 for the coming season. Also threw a Boxxer world cup 180 on the front and sram 7spd drivetrain. Mini dh park pickle will be the main focus.

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
Jibbaman28 wrote:
Just swapped the Float X2 for a Super Deluxe coil on my ‘18 Capra pro 27 for the coming season. Also threw a Boxxer world cup 180 on the front and sram 7spd drivetrain. Mini dh park pickle will be the main focus.
Interesting. Most people would say the fox float x2 is a better shock, but the reviews I've seen on the super deluxe coil have all been pretty good. Whether or not they are better shocks or not is debatable, but I have been also considering a DVO jade X or a MRP hazzard. Both of the ladder seen like better options at these prices....

Posted: Mar 2, 2020 at 0:13 Quote
Jibbaman28 wrote:
Just swapped the Float X2 for a Super Deluxe coil on my ‘18 Capra pro 27 for the coming season. Also threw a Boxxer world cup 180 on the front and sram 7spd drivetrain. Mini dh park pickle will be the main focus.
Pics or it didn't happen! Big Grin

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 0:57 Quote
hi, ive got a Capra AL comp 2017 in M. Would anyone be interested in swapping for a L or XL frame. Mine is in great condition due to being Invisi-framed since new. ill give £50 too due to inconvenience and time swapping components over.

Thanks,
Erwann
(UK only)

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 10:02 Quote
Anyone know the fork offset for the 2018 capra cf pro? 27.5
Cheers.

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 10:56 Quote
radiorog wrote:
Anyone know the fork offset for the 2018 capra cf pro? 27.5
Cheers.

Pretty sure it's 44mm

Posted: Mar 5, 2020 at 7:15 Quote
chacou wrote:
radiorog wrote:
Anyone know the fork offset for the 2018 capra cf pro? 27.5
Cheers.

Pretty sure it's 44mm
Cheers... Smile

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
Hey Everyone, I have a general question about sag. I understand as a whole most people have a preference. YT's site suggests 25% - 30% which is pretty broad. Anyone living outside those sag marks and loving it? I have a 2019 29er running 28%ish sag and it feels harsh. When I try and run less I caught up and it dives. Where are you guys in your sag settings? Gonna run a ShockWiz for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 13:27 Quote
airtym wrote:
Hey Everyone, I have a general question about sag. I understand as a whole most people have a preference. YT's site suggests 25% - 30% which is pretty broad. Anyone living outside those sag marks and loving it? I have a 2019 29er running 28%ish sag and it feels harsh. When I try and run less I caught up and it dives. Where are you guys in your sag settings? Gonna run a ShockWiz for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks
Have you tried changing a nuber of volume spacers?


 
Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015206
Mobile Version of Website