YT Capra Owners

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
I run about 25% sag usually. I mean, you can't tell exactly but it's certainly under 27. I just don't like that soft feeling of 30-35%

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
SRAM dub is different and will not work. You most likely need bb92, raceface is junk IMO, hope or enduro would be the way to go.

Jurestangelj wrote:
I am about to change BB on my capra al comp '18...stock BB is race face BB92....will it work with the other brand BB's like sram DUB BB92 then or is it better to stick with the same brand?

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
Jurestangelj wrote:
airtym wrote:
Hey Everyone, I have a general question about sag. I understand as a whole most people have a preference. YT's site suggests 25% - 30% which is pretty broad. Anyone living outside those sag marks and loving it? I have a 2019 29er running 28%ish sag and it feels harsh. When I try and run less I caught up and it dives. Where are you guys in your sag settings? Gonna run a ShockWiz for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks
Have you tried changing a nuber of volume spacers?

Yes! Volume spacers and dampening. Set sag for weight ONLY and 'tune' everything else to your liking. Diving too much? Add (+) low-speed-compression. Harsh off the top? Add volume spacers (as you add volume spacers, reduce your air pressure slightly)

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
code26 wrote:
Jurestangelj wrote:
airtym wrote:
Hey Everyone, I have a general question about sag. I understand as a whole most people have a preference. YT's site suggests 25% - 30% which is pretty broad. Anyone living outside those sag marks and loving it? I have a 2019 29er running 28%ish sag and it feels harsh. When I try and run less I caught up and it dives. Where are you guys in your sag settings? Gonna run a ShockWiz for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks

Yes! Volume spacers and dampening. Set sag for weight ONLY and 'tune' everything else to your liking. Diving too much? Add (+) low-speed-compression. Harsh off the top? Add volume spacers (as you add volume spacers, reduce your air pressure slightly)
Maybe I have too many volume spacers. What would that do to the ride?

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 18:30 Quote
airtym wrote:
code26 wrote:
Jurestangelj wrote:

Volume spacers make the second half of your travel firmer in comparison to the first half.

Common thing is to use less air pressure for a softer initial feel (comfort) and adding a volume spacer to keep the fork/shock from bottoming out to easy.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
Cannonbill wrote:
SRAM dub is different and will not work. You most likely need bb92, raceface is junk IMO, hope or enduro would be the way to go.

Jurestangelj wrote:
I am about to change BB on my capra al comp '18...stock BB is race face BB92....will it work with the other brand BB's like sram DUB BB92 then or is it better to stick with the same brand?

You sure it wouldn’t work? A dub bb92 should still fit a bb92 frame. He would need new cranks but the frame should be compatible

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 19:58 Quote
InstantBreakfast wrote:
Cannonbill wrote:

Jurestangelj wrote:

You sure it wouldn’t work? A dub bb92 should still fit a bb92 frame. He would need new cranks but the frame should be compatible
BB92 only refers to the frame's bottom bracket specification. Sram DUB crankset is 28.99mm. Raceface is 30mm. If you're keeping the raceface crankset, then a Hope bottom bracket is the best, most cost effective solution.

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
airtym wrote:
code26 wrote:
Jurestangelj wrote:

Watch some creditable YouTube channels explaining this type of suspension tuning. I think Vorsprung has some great vids explaining suspension workings.

Posted: Mar 6, 2020 at 22:46 Quote
I just built up a 2018 27.5 capra and had a few questions about it. I got the frame used so naturally, the damper was clapped. I have some other shocks that I put on it, but the stroke and eye to eye are different. I also put a 200mm boxxer onto it. The shock dimensions are 230 by 76. This makes the eye to eye 20mm shorter, but makes the stroke 16mm longer. I cycled the suspension without the spring on and the frame doesn't seem to hit itself. The bike in theory have like 200 to 215 mm of travel and be super progressive.

Is there anything I should be careful of or should I not do this in general. the HTA is also somewhere in between 62 and 62.5 as it is right now.

here are some pics of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rYNJbaXUa9rCVjxL6

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2020 at 3:27 Quote
Thanks for that further clarification, exactly correct, if you want to change our cranks as well, dub will work, but if you are keeping your cranks, you need a bottom bracket for a 30 mm spindle, dub is SRAM specific.

InstantBreakfast wrote:
Cannonbill wrote:

Jurestangelj wrote:

O+
Posted: Mar 7, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
I just built up a 2018 27.5 capra and had a few questions about it. I got the frame used so naturally, the damper was clapped. I have some other shocks that I put on it, but the stroke and eye to eye are different. I also put a 200mm boxxer onto it. The shock dimensions are 230 by 76. This makes the eye to eye 20mm shorter, but makes the stroke 16mm longer. I cycled the suspension without the spring on and the frame doesn't seem to hit itself. The bike in theory have like 200 to 215 mm of travel and be super progressive.

Is there anything I should be careful of or should I not do this in general. the HTA is also somewhere in between 62 and 62.5 as it is right now.

here are some pics of it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rYNJbaXUa9rCVjxL6

A 230x76 shock is not a thing. The capra comes with either a 250x70 or 250x75 (pro race) so to get more travel the shock would need to have a longer longer stroke than that. To get to 200mm the shock would need about 10% more stroke so like 250x82.5. Which is not produced. The largest stroke a 230mm eye to eye shock is made in is 230x65. If that is what's on there then you should only be getting like 157mm of travel and you have completely jacked your geometry by essentially adding 20mm of sag.

Posted: Mar 7, 2020 at 11:20 Quote
Thnx for the answers

Posted: Mar 8, 2020 at 9:03 Quote
a wet and chilly ride in auburn.

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Regarding a previous post involving cracked paint around the seat stay bearing insert

parkmeister wrote:

I'm fairly sure the insert and surrounding composite is good to go. So I slapped it back together and marked the suspect area with torque putty to detect any play in that area.

photo
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/18314178/
time to ride!

After multiple rides over the past three weeks over some decently chunky trail, the torque putty has not cracked. I'm fairly sure the issue is cosmetic only and that the underlying carbon fiber is tip top. Sweet.

Posted: Mar 9, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
How about those middle photos, are they a spot the bike game?

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2020 at 5:18 Quote
Has anybody got a 2018/19 cf pro red, XL they want to sell or swap for the same but in large?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023459
Mobile Version of Website