YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 12:34 Quote
DomClarkeMTB wrote:
Anyone using renthal fat bars on their Capra? Feeling hunched over on my XL capra al so I am thinking of getting 40mm rise fatbars.
Also, any other recommendations?

Yep, I have 38mm rise bars on mine, the stock 20mm rise was too low for me.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
DomClarkeMTB wrote:
Anyone using renthal fat bars on their Capra? Feeling hunched over on my XL capra al so I am thinking of getting 40mm rise fatbars.

DMR Defy stem...net 20mm rise capable, permits a slammed YT cut steerer to have some adjustment...

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 14:29 Quote
DomClarkeMTB wrote:

I've been thinking of getting a DMR Defy stem for mine. Got one for a bike I built up using the Pike off my old Jeffsy, which came from YT with a really short cut steerer and given the new bikes' HT (GG Pedalhead) the Pike needed a lower stack height stem than the RF Turbine that was on it. So anyway, yeah I'm considering a DMR Defy for my Capra now too to get a little extra height, rise on the stem plus some ability to run an extra spacer https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Components/Stems/Defy50

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
chacou wrote:
DomClarkeMTB wrote:

I've been thinking of getting a DMR Defy stem for mine. Got one for a bike I built up using the Pike off my old Jeffsy, which came from YT with a really short cut steerer and given the new bikes' HT (GG Pedalhead) the Pike needed a lower stack height stem than the RF Turbine that was on it. So anyway, yeah I'm considering a DMR Defy for my Capra now too to get a little extra height, rise on the stem plus some ability to run an extra spacer https://www.dmrbikes.com/Catalogue/Components/Stems/Defy50

I switched to this 30mm syntace stem it's got a low stack and 6° rise, I'm now able to get two spacers and the tall stem cap under the stem. Only drawback is it's a 31.8mm clamp so you'd have to go back to older bar clamp diameter. (Could pick up some deity highsides which are only available in 31.8mm and get your bars up even higher)

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 0:13 Quote
Sackofturf wrote:
I have been thinking about getting a 2019 Capra and im stuck on sizing.
I am 6'3 and my current bike is a large 2014 nukeproof mega which I have found is too short as in the bars feel like they are on my lap.
YT recommend the XXL according to my height but comparing the geometry of the 2 bikes the XXL capra seems way bigger than the L Mega.

Is anyone else around my height and what size did you get?

I'm 6'3" on XXL andi fit me great, I do have long arms though

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 9:38 Quote
I'm 5'9 and have been riding my capra 29 for a few weeks now and love it. Its my first time on a 29 and i was worried the bike would feel too big however it doesnt. I mainly do downhill/free ride and it works amazingly

dr-rudie wrote:
Another sizing question.. I'm 176cm (5'9"), and ordering a Capra 29. I'm trying to decide on the medium or large. Currently I ride a Giant Trance 27.5 so I'm using that as a comparison, not being able to see/ride the Capra before ordering.

I've attached a comparison of the geometry from my Trance against the medium and large Capra. I was leaning towards the medium, but I'm unsure now that the Capra's dropper is only 125mm (Trance is 150mm). Also thought maybe a large Capra with 29 would feel too big coming from 27.5...

Thoughts?

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
Ben2001 wrote:
I'm 5'9 and have been riding my capra 29 for a few weeks now and love it. Its my first time on a 29 and i was worried the bike would feel too big however it doesnt. I mainly do downhill/free ride and it works amazingly

dr-rudie wrote:
Another sizing question.. I'm 176cm (5'9"), and ordering a Capra 29. I'm trying to decide on the medium or large. Currently I ride a Giant Trance 27.5 so I'm using that as a comparison, not being able to see/ride the Capra before ordering.

I've attached a comparison of the geometry from my Trance against the medium and large Capra. I was leaning towards the medium, but I'm unsure now that the Capra's dropper is only 125mm (Trance is 150mm). Also thought maybe a large Capra with 29 would feel too big coming from 27.5...

Thoughts?

I'm 5'7.5 or 173cm and was thinking large also although according to the chart I'm at the max of medium, I 'm sure the increases reach would be welcome but it's the top tube seated reach I'm concerned about.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
Me
183cm
Large
50mm stem
Perfect. I am glad I didn’t get XL.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
jaame wrote:
Me
183cm
Large
50mm stem
Perfect. I am glad I didn’t get XL.

Same here. I'm 6ft (183cm) and glad I did not go XL. I guess I'm not to much in the new geo area..

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 0:00 Quote
Well to be fair, my previous bike was a Mega 290 in large with the same reach as the Capra. Before that I had a Nomad 3 which was also a large but with a 438 reach. So the large capra kind of is new school anyway and look, all these people going for two sizes up, they will be fast as f*ck in a straight line!

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 7:48 Quote
Anyone can share the size and model of a Capra Race Pro '15 headset?I think is time to replace it..

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
Couple questions..

How "playful" would you say the Capra is? My ideal trails are technical stuff but I spend about half my time on XC type trails due to accessibility. These trails are fun to hit little side jumps and have fun smearing turn and whatnot which makes me think the Jeffsy might be a better fit due to it being a little more playful. I've read that the Capra can get bored when things arent techy enough. Thoughts?

Me:
50% XC type trails
25% shuttle
15% pedal enduro trails
10% bike park

Also I'm 6'3 and between sizes but most people my height seem to be going for the XXL but I'm wondering if an XL will feel more playful? Also having a tough time deciding between 27.5 and 29 wheel sizes for either Capra or Jeffsy.

Lots of questions but it's my first time buying a new bike so trying to get it right. (and not used to all these options hah)

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 16:47 Quote
ovaltine1 wrote:
Couple questions..

How "playful" would you say the Capra is? My ideal trails are technical stuff but I spend about half my time on XC type trails due to accessibility. These trails are fun to hit little side jumps and have fun smearing turn and whatnot which makes me think the Jeffsy might be a better fit due to it being a little more playful. I've read that the Capra can get bored when things are techy enough. Thoughts?

Me:
50% XC type trails
25% shuttle
15% pedal enduro trails
10% bike park

Also I'm 6'3 and between sizes but most people my height seem to be going for the XXL but I'm wondering if an XL will feel more playful? Also having a tough time deciding between 27.5 and 29 wheel sizes for either Capra or Jeffsy.

Lots of questions but it's my first time buying a new bike so trying to get it right. (and not used to all these options hah)

It depends how flowy the xc trails are. If they're pretty flowy, I've found the Capra is fine (5'10" riding a L for reference), however if they're really techy a Jeffsy might be a better bet.

To the person above looking for those bearings, I couldn't find much beyond this (scroll down). Maybe try emailing the emails associated with the various countries and see who responds.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 23:49 Quote
My advice on the Capra is, only buy one if you value downhill speed above all other aspects of your riding.

It's sluggish on the ups, but it will get up.
It's a pig on technical singletrack and undulating loamy trails.

WHen you point it down, it's really good and fast.

I also use mine as a road bike because I don't currently have a road bike. It can be done.

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 0:23 Quote
ovaltine1 wrote:
Couple questions..

How "playful" would you say the Capra is? My ideal trails are technical stuff but I spend about half my time on XC type trails due to accessibility. These trails are fun to hit little side jumps and have fun smearing turn and whatnot which makes me think the Jeffsy might be a better fit due to it being a little more playful. I've read that the Capra can get bored when things are techy enough. Thoughts?

Me:
50% XC type trails
25% shuttle
15% pedal enduro trails
10% bike park

The Capra, 27 at least, is not a playful bike.

It's more of a plush bruiser, I would not buy that for riding mellow terrain half the time. It's sluggish, quite slow, doesn't "pop" stuff. Very very good for shuttle and bike park.

I got a 150 mm 29 enduro bike, and it feels like a rocket up the climb in comparison, way more playful too.

I would get the Jeffsy in your case, without a doubt. That's what I would take for me if I had to buy a YT again, it's capable enough for bike park and hard terrain, but it would be so much better for general riding...

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012458
Mobile Version of Website