YT Capra Owners

Author Message
Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 12:43 Quote
7hundredpirate wrote:
bigquotesSorry but I may have missed a previous post/ what headset did you replace the stock ones with? Thanks

Hope Tapered Integral Headset (ZS44 - ZS56)
Black, 1.1/8" - 1.5" Tapered

Seals up really well for conditions here.

Thanks man!

Posted: Aug 27, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
So on 8/17 I torqued my upper shock bolt into my 2020 CF frame at 11 Nm (recommendation is 10-12) and the hex head of the small male bolt snapped.

I reached out to YT about a replacement and they suggested I just order one since it would be faster, and I’m off to the bike park tomorrow.

It took 10 days and got to me 3 hours ago. Just in time. I still think it should have been a warranty replacement because I followed their torque setting recommendation, but just beware to use the lower value of the range. I redid em both at 10Nm...

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 6:50 Quote
Found a crack on my frame last night behind the headtube. What do you think? Actual crack or paint crack?

I've reached out to YT canada but wanted to see what others thought.

Tried to post a photo of it but doesn't work... pic is here - https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19298147/. If anyone can point out how to post a photo, let me know.


Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 9:28 Quote
bkooy wrote:
Found a crack on my frame last night behind the headtube. What do you think? Actual crack or paint crack?

I've reached out to YT canada but wanted to see what others thought.

Tried to post a photo of it but doesn't work... pic is here - https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19298147/. If anyone can point out how to post a photo, let me know.



[I'm not an engineeer Wink but] doesnt look like just paint to me

just click on the PB icon on top row above post box and enter the photo number so 19298147 in your case

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 9:40 Quote
It looks like impact damage to me. Did you fall of the bike before this damage?

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 10:59 Quote
Davec85 wrote:
It looks like impact damage to me. Did you fall of the bike before this damage?

Last crash was months ago and was minor. Noticed it first time last night. Bike has also been in reputable bike shops over the last month and nothing was flagged.

But I would agree that it does look structural to me and not paint.

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 13:34 Quote
That's the alloy frame, right?
I have same black n' blue frame (27er)

It looks like paint to me.

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 at 21:45 Quote
OneTrustMan wrote:
That's the alloy frame, right?
I have same black n' blue frame (27er)

It looks like paint to me.

Yup. AL base 27. Thought it could be paint crack. I seem to recall most examples of paint cracks were on carbon frames. Not to say that it didn’t occur on the AL frames.

In any case. Appreciate the feedback while I wait for YT Canada to weigh in.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 5:06 Quote
camera down the headtube time.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
That does look an impact crack, but otoh I’ve never seen a metal bike crack like that.

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
Staktup wrote:
So on 8/17 I torqued my upper shock bolt into my 2020 CF frame at 11 Nm (recommendation is 10-12) and the hex head of the small male bolt snapped.

I reached out to YT about a replacement and they suggested I just order one since it would be faster, and I’m off to the bike park tomorrow.

It took 10 days and got to me 3 hours ago. Just in time. I still think it should have been a warranty replacement because I followed their torque setting recommendation, but just beware to use the lower value of the range. I redid em both at 10Nm...

Bike felt great with MRP Bartlett @ 180mm and EXT Storia Lok v3 out back.


Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 16:18 Quote
How’s the EXT storia on the Capra? Have you used any other coil shocks, you think it’s worth spending DHX/EXT money over something like a Marzocchi/rockshox coil?

Posted: Aug 29, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
fewnofrwgijn wrote:
How’s the EXT storia on the Capra? Have you used any other coil shocks, you think it’s worth spending DHX/EXT money over something like a Marzocchi/rockshox coil?

I love it so far, only 2 trail rides and this park session yesterday. I can't comment on any other coil shocks other than the older DHX and even older Manitou Swinger. If I wanted a no frills back up coil shock I'd get the Bomber.

I bought this Storia used here on this forum and sent it in to Suspension Syndicate (a US dealer) for service and tuning for my bike since I believe it was originally set up for a Guerilla Gravity model.

I used close to middle of the road compression settings and 1/3 rebound damping and it had plenty of traction yet enough pop and support for harsh landings.

I really like the Float X2 but wanted to be more lazy with my maintenance. I would have probably have bought a DHX2 but this shock was sold at a good price with spare lighter spring.

MY bike weighs 36lbs with the dual-crown fork, Cush Core front & rear, and Dagga pedals. Beefy.

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 at 10:33 Quote
Anyone tried fitting a 250 x 70 shock from the 27.5 model to a 29 which? Is there enough clearance to get 180mm travel on the 29er and maybe sort the longer eye to eye with some offset bushings??

Posted: Aug 30, 2020 at 14:47 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Anyone tried fitting a 250 x 70 shock from the 27.5 model to a 29 which? Is there enough clearance to get 180mm travel on the 29er and maybe sort the longer eye to eye with some offset bushings??

That sounds like a bad idea. It will mess geometry too much.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv23 0.021611
Mobile Version of Website