YT Capra Owners

Author Message
Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 19:56 Quote
Just curious Bc this is my first MTB. I’ve done a total of 40 miles give or take according to Strava and my front wheel bearings are starting to stick. I can tell this by turning the axle spacer.

Should this be warranty related beings the bike has been in my possession about a month and only has 40 miles?

Posted: Sep 2, 2020 at 23:07 Quote
Whitelite, your warranty will be with wheel manufacture. If Dtswiss they were beyond great for me. Cap not a good indicator, as axle rides on bearings. Install ( not gorilla tight, just secure) and spin your wheel with brake removed. If it spins endlessly and at the end reverses direction because of valve stem weight your bearings are fine. Caps only control width spacing. Over tightening quick release axle not good. My 2 cents. My caps always seem rough, but bearings glide like a dream, even on dt 240s.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 3:55 Quote
whitedlite wrote:
Just curious Bc this is my first MTB. I’ve done a total of 40 miles give or take according to Strava and my front wheel bearings are starting to stick. I can tell this by turning the axle spacer.

Should this be warranty related beings the bike has been in my possession about a month and only has 40 miles?


never heard or read anything similar to this.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 9:36 Quote
amonas wrote:
whitedlite wrote:
Just curious Bc this is my first MTB. I’ve done a total of 40 miles give or take according to Strava and my front wheel bearings are starting to stick. I can tell this by turning the axle spacer.

Should this be warranty related beings the bike has been in my possession about a month and only has 40 miles?


never heard or read anything similar to this.

How does you wheel feel when you spin it off the fork (on your fingers, for example)?

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 12:53 Quote
I bought an endoscope camera and had a look inside the frame today and found what looks to be a crack. It has the same shape as the exterior crack and in the same location. YT thought it was a paint crack but I don't think so anymore. Thoughts?


I have a video that shows it better but you get the idea from the photo.



bkooy wrote:
Found a crack on my frame last night behind the headtube. What do you think? Actual crack or paint crack?

I've reached out to YT canada but wanted to see what others thought.

Tried to post a photo of it but doesn't work... pic is here - https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/19298147/. If anyone can point out how to post a photo, let me know.


Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 13:51 Quote
It's a funny one because there is a faint line continuing through the blue paint where the black crack/scratch ends suggesting it's took a knock on something and then continued to scratch the paint. Hard to say if the internal one is a the same crack as it looks a bit more curved. Tbh mate it does look rider induced if it is a crack even if you were not aware when or where you did it. But the main thing crack or not is your safety so just keep pushing YT and hope you get them to take a look or replace it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 15:53 Quote
Agreed that the two cracks look a bit different in shape (inside vs. outside). I just find it hard to believe that they're not related given the location.

In any case, yeah, you're probably right. Likely rider induced damage showing up long after the fact. I wouldn't expect a section of tubing to just crack in that location on it's own. If it was on a weld... maybe. But not in the middle of the tubing. Will see if YT thinks any different.

Danzzz88 wrote:
It's a funny one because there is a faint line continuing through the blue paint where the black crack/scratch ends suggesting it's took a knock on something and then continued to scratch the paint. Hard to say if the internal one is a the same crack as it looks a bit more curved. Tbh mate it does look rider induced if it is a crack even if you were not aware when or where you did it. But the main thing crack or not is your safety so just keep pushing YT and hope you get them to take a look or replace it.

Posted: Sep 3, 2020 at 18:22 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
amonas wrote:
whitedlite wrote:
Just curious Bc this is my first MTB. I’ve done a total of 40 miles give or take according to Strava and my front wheel bearings are starting to stick. I can tell this by turning the axle spacer.

Should this be warranty related beings the bike has been in my possession about a month and only has 40 miles?


never heard or read anything similar to this.

How does you wheel feel when you spin it off the fork (on your fingers, for example)?

like it has a rough spot in a certain spot of the rotation. While searching for this I also noticed the wheel not being true.

Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 0:59 Quote
It has to be the same crack.

Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
whitedlite wrote:
endlessblockades wrote:
amonas wrote:



never heard or read anything similar to this.

How does you wheel feel when you spin it off the fork (on your fingers, for example)?

like it has a rough spot in a certain spot of the rotation. While searching for this I also noticed the wheel not being true.

e13 has good CS from what I hear.

Edit - sorry I'm not sure which wheel you have, actually.

Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 13:14 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
...

e13 has good CS from what I hear.

Edit - sorry I'm not sure which wheel you have, actually.

unfortunately I've had to reach out to E13 customer services a couple times for various things and they're great! Would rather not have to reach out, but it's nice to know they're very responsive and accommodating.

Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 15:08 Quote
Chiming in: e13 customer service offensibly poor. And sadly necessary due to poor product. Would not want OP to get a one sided view. Service is good if you dont have more than one issue. (One part) and you dont mind tearing down and rebuilding or replacing entirely. Second help need they just tell you GFY. never EVER again I buy their product. DT Swiss? Bang on straight up bada$$ product, and warranty.

Posted: Sep 4, 2020 at 15:59 Quote
As with everything - there's always two sides to every story.

Posted: Sep 5, 2020 at 18:11 Quote
endlessblockades wrote:
whitedlite wrote:
endlessblockades wrote:


How does you wheel feel when you spin it off the fork (on your fingers, for example)?

like it has a rough spot in a certain spot of the rotation. While searching for this I also noticed the wheel not being true.

e13 has good CS from what I hear.

Edit - sorry I'm not sure which wheel you have, actually.

It's E13 LG1 EN, stock wheelset on the Capra Comp 29.

Before ever riding bike and everything was clean I did convert to tubelss and even added cushcore front and rear.

That's why it's mind blowing that the front wheel wouldn't be true, the rear wheel is perfect.

I'm just waiting for a response over this long weekend. If they do right by me, I'll stick with e13 on future wheel purchases.

Posted: Sep 6, 2020 at 1:19 Quote
Hey Guys,
I have some play in the rear triangle and have replacement bearings. I took off pretty much everything but I can't for the life of me get the main pivot axle out. I have a 2016 Al Capra. Can anyone help?


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010928
Mobile Version of Website