YT Capra Owners

Author Message
Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 8:02 Quote
synaps-e wrote:
Guys, could anyone suggest a good pair of disk rotors for the Code R’s on my Capra? Especially if you're using it now and happy with it.
I had been using the TRP-33 (one was slightly bent from the start), and now returned to an old SRAM Centerline. I want to never have a need to align them against the pads rub, as it is so annoying.
Got a terrible time with TRP’s after they, probably (my weight is 74kg), overheated in the mountains and got bent and loose firmness. From that point I need use a special Park Tool to fix the rubbing noise before each ride. So swapped it back to stock and will throw them out.

I am on Centerline as stock for 2yrs now, never any issues.
A friend has Trickstuff in bis Capra and finds them much better..

The cheap chinese discs on my park wheelset do brake quite good, but bend easily.

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
RE: TRP rotprs. When I got my 2018 TUES I put Galfer floating rotors on immediately and donated the TRP rotors to a bike repair/training co-op (that has since gone out of business due to Covid-19). Never had a problem with the Galfers or the brakes. The bike had been sitting unused for nearly a year and I put new tires on it and rode it all day at Northstar (ski mountain bike part) yesterday and the brakes worked great. A vote for Galfer rotors and I have had nothing but good experiences with the Tektro brakes.

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 9:55 Quote
I'm thinking about selling the Capra in the next few weeks. I just fancy a change. The platform is due for a rework soon I think. Anyone heard any whispers as to when the new MY bikes will be out, and if there will be a new frame? Historically the new bikes have been out at the end of January for that MY... but the YT website is still advertising bikes for delivery in late Jan 2021.

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
You should get good coin. Not many around. I am doing the same and waiting to see what the next one is like. IMO the 2018 CF is a superb bike. I got mine down to 14kg with eewings and some other bits. Climbed really well and could run with trail bikes. Its a really well made frame too. Put the camera down into it and the layup is really well finished. Been a great frame.

Posted: Oct 5, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
Sold mine within 150 usd of what it sold for new on sale. They hold value and are desireable. If it has had the hell beat out of it may be a different story.

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 12:03 Quote
Long shot here, but... I recently crashed my 2017 Capra CF and cracked my CF seatstay. YT wants $400 for a new one. While this isn't too outrageous, I'm a pretty broke college kid. Anyone have a source on a cheaper 2017 Capra seatstay? Maybe someone cracked their frame? Supposedly even the aluminum 2017 Capras have cf seatstays which is a bummer since I won't be able to purchase a cheaper aluminum version. Thanks

Posted: Oct 6, 2020 at 13:49 Quote
Manilow97 wrote:
Long shot here, but... I recently crashed my 2017 Capra CF and cracked my CF seatstay. YT wants $400 for a new one. While this isn't too outrageous, I'm a pretty broke college kid. Anyone have a source on a cheaper 2017 Capra seatstay? Maybe someone cracked their frame? Supposedly even the aluminum 2017 Capras have cf seatstays which is a bummer since I won't be able to purchase a cheaper aluminum version. Thanks

sorry I don't have any source info but did the same thing (on my 2015 AL) and paid about the same to get it fixed by YT - I thought the price was a bit steep but what was more of a drag is they wouldn't send me the seatstay and insisted I send the frame back to germany, told me it would be done and returned in 2 weeks but it took several weeks to come back - I hope your experience is better.
Not sure where you are based but my impression from reading this thread over the last 6 years is that YT customer support in other countries is much better than from the UK. Good luck

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 12:29 Quote
Carbon repair can be done. Wraped and strengthened. Seen it on scott frames. Repair is stronger than original. Just a seatstay may be worth aftermarket repair. Not sure on grade 5 bike but could get you back in business quick.

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
Carbon repair can be done. Wraped and strengthened. Seen it on scott frames. Repair is stronger than original. Just a seatstay may be worth aftermarket repair. Not sure on grade 5 bike but could get you back in business quick.
Interesting. From my bit of research I read it often isn't a strong fix...but it is constantly in compression so I could see it working. Ill look into that. Thanks!

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
billyno wrote:
Manilow97 wrote:
Long shot here, but... I recently crashed my 2017 Capra CF and cracked my CF seatstay. YT wants $400 for a new one. While this isn't too outrageous, I'm a pretty broke college kid. Anyone have a source on a cheaper 2017 Capra seatstay? Maybe someone cracked their frame? Supposedly even the aluminum 2017 Capras have cf seatstays which is a bummer since I won't be able to purchase a cheaper aluminum version. Thanks

sorry I don't have any source info but did the same thing (on my 2015 AL) and paid about the same to get it fixed by YT - I thought the price was a bit steep but what was more of a drag is they wouldn't send me the seatstay and insisted I send the frame back to germany, told me it would be done and returned in 2 weeks but it took several weeks to come back - I hope your experience is better.
Not sure where you are based but my impression from reading this thread over the last 6 years is that YT customer support in other countries is much better than from the UK. Good luck
Yeah, I'm the second owner and they required me to send in the original order form to even discuss fixing it...Luckily I saved the guys contact info and still have it 2 years later, and hes cool. I could imagine so many people being out there entire bike cause of this. They still wouldn't accept the first order form I sent that the original owner supplied, so I had to bug him again for a different one with the bike model on it...needless to say when I get a new bike once I graduate college in a year, I won't be buying a YT...

Posted: Oct 7, 2020 at 13:23 Quote
Think we will see a new Capra frame for 2021? It feels like it could use a refresh... specifically the STA. Only thing I don’t like about my bike especially with a 210mm dropper on an XXL.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
Hey all, Ive got a 2020 capra pro race i race enduros on. This past weekend i was doing some practice runs and in a fast and rough downhill section my chain came off the top jockey wheel and went in between the wheel and the derailleur frame and was making it jump between gears. No biggie, thought it was just a fluke. I stopped, threw the chain back on the wheel and went about my day. The next day during the race, in the same section in probably the exact same spot it did it again. I wasnt willing to stop this time and just finished the section out and fixed it when i got across the line. Anyone else had this issue? Its got X01 on it and i see no reason why it wouldnt do it again. It was a fast section so i was down probably 2nd from the smallest gear when it happened. Is there a fix for it? Stiffer spring? Ive had my 19 jeffsy cf pro with GX on it on equally rough and fast and never had that happen. If you got any ideas let me know. Id rather not have to deal with this during a race section

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
austin915 wrote:
Hey all, Ive got a 2020 capra pro race i race enduros on. This past weekend i was doing some practice runs and in a fast and rough downhill section my chain came off the top jockey wheel and went in between the wheel and the derailleur frame and was making it jump between gears. No biggie, thought it was just a fluke. I stopped, threw the chain back on the wheel and went about my day. The next day during the race, in the same section in probably the exact same spot it did it again. I wasnt willing to stop this time and just finished the section out and fixed it when i got across the line. Anyone else had this issue? Its got X01 on it and i see no reason why it wouldnt do it again. It was a fast section so i was down probably 2nd from the smallest gear when it happened. Is there a fix for it? Stiffer spring? Ive had my 19 jeffsy cf pro with GX on it on equally rough and fast and never had that happen. If you got any ideas let me know. Id rather not have to deal with this during a race section

Derailleur clutch fail maybe?

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
austin915 wrote:
Hey all, Ive got a 2020 capra pro race i race enduros on. This past weekend i was doing some practice runs and in a fast and rough downhill section my chain came off the top jockey wheel and went in between the wheel and the derailleur frame and was making it jump between gears. No biggie, thought it was just a fluke. I stopped, threw the chain back on the wheel and went about my day. The next day during the race, in the same section in probably the exact same spot it did it again. I wasnt willing to stop this time and just finished the section out and fixed it when i got across the line. Anyone else had this issue? Its got X01 on it and i see no reason why it wouldnt do it again. It was a fast section so i was down probably 2nd from the smallest gear when it happened. Is there a fix for it? Stiffer spring? Ive had my 19 jeffsy cf pro with GX on it on equally rough and fast and never had that happen. If you got any ideas let me know. Id rather not have to deal with this during a race section

Maybe replace the pulley with one that has larger teeth, especially if the stock SRAM pulley teeth are worn down?

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 at 9:59 Quote
My Nomad 3 had xt 8100 on it and one time, once only, in a race down a long undulating bit of track where I was giving it the gas in top gear, the chain started shifting between 10th and 11th gear. I still to this day don't know why. I was thinking maybe something about the suspension moving caused the cable tension to change slightly and as I was pinned on rough ground it was happening fast enough to make it shift


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009606
Mobile Version of Website