YT Capra Owners

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
letitwhip33 wrote:
heyy anyone found a storage solution to the 2018-20 capra models i found a fizik klik saddle bag that fits in the tiny spot by the BB. but I want to put a water bottle on it. any ideas?

https://www.rei.com/product/168490/rei-co-op-trail-5-waistpack plenty of storage and carries not one, but two water bottles! Wink

FWIW, my opinion on frame storage has shifted some, largely due to owning a Capra and needing to adapt. When I first got my Capra in late 2018, I figured I'd do some hack to get water bottle and/or other small storage onto the frame. But I rode it for a while without trying any hacks. Luckily one day I found the above butt bag in the "sale bin" at the REI in Denver, and that's really what changed my out look. I've since come to the conclusion that while frame storage is a nice-to-have when designed into the bike properly, I love Specialized's solution. Water bottle/frame storage is something I no longer consider necessary, as I still ride with a butt bag on my other bike that does carry a large water bottle and other small items on bottle cage, ie: OneUp pump/tool. I think I actually prefer carrying the weight of water/tools on my butt/hips, rather than on my frame. Obviously this is just my personal preferences shifting and completely anecdotal, but I've found that it works better than compromising in other areas, like odd straps and/or weight distribution on the bike frame.

I think the new Capra water bottle solution is a dumb, crowd pleaser, half measure solution. I can envision the requests that product team made to engineers designing. Must keep wing/bridge, must have water bottle storage. I've learned in my career that often by trying to please everyone with a product/feature you can end up making the product/feature worse.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
chacou wrote:
letitwhip33 wrote:
heyy anyone found a storage solution to the 2018-20 capra models i found a fizik klik saddle bag that fits in the tiny spot by the BB. but I want to put a water bottle on it. any ideas?

https://www.rei.com/product/168490/rei-co-op-trail-5-waistpack plenty of storage and carries not one, but two water bottles! Wink

FWIW, my opinion on frame storage has shifted some, largely due to owning a Capra and needing to adapt. When I first got my Capra in late 2018, I figured I'd do some hack to get water bottle and/or other small storage onto the frame. But I rode it for a while without trying any hacks. Luckily one day I found the above butt bag in the "sale bin" at the REI in Denver, and that's really what changed my out look. I've since come to the conclusion that while frame storage is a nice-to-have when designed into the bike properly, I love Specialized's solution. Water bottle/frame storage is something I no longer consider necessary, as I still ride with a butt bag on my other bike that does carry a large water bottle and other small items on bottle cage, ie: OneUp pump/tool. I think I actually prefer carrying the weight of water/tools on my butt/hips, rather than on my frame. Obviously this is just my personal preferences shifting and completely anecdotal, but I've found that it works better than compromising in other areas, like odd straps and/or weight distribution on the bike frame.

I think the new Capra water bottle solution is a dumb, crowd pleaser, half measure solution. I can envision the requests that product team made to engineers designing. Must keep wing/bridge, must have water bottle storage. I've learned in my career that often by trying to please everyone with a product/feature you can end up making the product/feature worse.

Agree. I still need to carry extra water, spare hanger, snacks and gels, 1st aid, etc. Specialized and Trek did it right with frame storage.

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 18:50 Quote
Staktup wrote:
chacou wrote:
letitwhip33 wrote:

Agree. I still need to carry extra water, spare hanger, snacks and gels, 1st aid, etc. Specialized and Trek did it right with frame storage.
If YT ever does internal storage I'd be so happy and never need a new bike again

Posted: May 25, 2021 at 13:38 Quote
Never missed a water bottle holder. Use the bum bag/fanny pack and forget its there.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
letitwhip33 wrote:

Found this water bottle holder on Amazon for $25
I put it on the front of my downtube facing the front wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/Any-Bottle-Cage-Anywhere-Versatile/dp/B07ZRWGX8R/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=any+bottle+cage+for+bike&qid=1622039112&sprefix=any+bo&sr=8-6

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
I used to do the Fanny-Pack, but recently took a hard crash where I landed flat on my back. Because I was wearing a Fanny pack, my back hyperextended and I literally destroyed one of my disks. Doc said any harder of a hit and I’d be paralyzed!!!

So I have since sworn off the use of a Fanny pack.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 10:11 Quote
Holy smokes Jef. Wonder if you may have fared better wearing a hydration backpack. I certainly appreciated the cushion effect when falling on my back with a hydo backpack in the past. What will you wear now?

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
Hi, I have a 2020 yt capra and have had multiple issues with the bike, first one being the cracking noise of the headset, when the bike is dropped or when it goes over compressions, the headset makes a loud crack. In addition to this, the bearings become very rough very quickly. I had the bearings replaced in late august of 2020 and rode the bike a handful of times before the issue came back

Another issue is with the fox dpx2 shock there is slight play in what seems to be the lower mounting bushings. I’m just curious if anyone else has had this issue and what they have done to fix it. Both of these issues have been ongoing problems.

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 11:11 Quote
Boooots wrote:
Hi, I have a 2020 yt capra and have had multiple issues with the bike, first one being the cracking noise of the headset, when the bike is dropped or when it goes over compressions, the headset makes a loud crack. In addition to this, the bearings become very rough very quickly. I had the bearings replaced in late august of 2020 and rode the bike a handful of times before the issue came back

Another issue is with the fox dpx2 shock there is slight play in what seems to be the lower mounting bushings. I’m just curious if anyone else has had this issue and what they have done to fix it. Both of these issues have been ongoing problems.
I have some creaking going on as well. I haven't quite discovered if it is in the headset or the fork crowns. I had a chris king headset and a rockshox zeb installed. I'm leaning towards the fork crowns however. As far as the shock goes, the only issue I've had is the head of the shock bolt snapped off while using a torque wrench.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
jefathome wrote:
I used to do the Fanny-Pack, but recently took a hard crash where I landed flat on my back. Because I was wearing a Fanny pack, my back hyperextended and I literally destroyed one of my disks. Doc said any harder of a hit and I’d be paralyzed!!!

So I have since sworn off the use of a Fanny pack.

Yikes, good to know that's a risk, I never really considered, all kinds of crazy things can happen on the trail. Glad you're not worse off.

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
Boooots wrote:

It’s probably either the stanchion crown junction on your fork, or the joint where the steerer tube is pressed into the crown.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 11:49 Quote
brassinne wrote:
Boooots wrote:

I have some creaking going on as well. I haven't quite discovered if it is in the headset or the fork crowns. I had a chris king headset and a rockshox zeb installed. I'm leaning towards the fork crowns however. As far as the shock goes, the only issue I've had is the head of the shock bolt snapped off while using a torque wrench.

Agree with creaking CSU; happened with my 2019 Fox 36 and was replaced under warranty. I also had a shock bolt snap off using 11 Nm of torque (YT recommends 10-12). Go figure!

Posted: May 28, 2021 at 15:38 Quote
Staktup wrote:
brassinne wrote:
Boooots wrote:

Agree with creaking CSU; happened with my 2019 Fox 36 and was replaced under warranty. I also had a shock bolt snap off using 11 Nm of torque (YT recommends 10-12). Go figure!
I felt like the world's biggest idiot. I wanted to try out my new $600 snap on 1/4 drive torque wrench, and the bolt head broke. Same thing, I had it set to 11Nm. YT is conveniently out of mk2 capra bolts. I was able to get a mk1 capra shock bolt set, wich I only used for the bolt.

Posted: May 28, 2021 at 17:00 Quote
brassinne wrote:
Staktup wrote:
brassinne wrote:

I felt like the world's biggest idiot. I wanted to try out my new $600 snap on 1/4 drive torque wrench, and the bolt head broke. Same thing, I had it set to 11Nm. YT is conveniently out of mk2 capra bolts. I was able to get a mk1 capra shock bolt set, wich I only used for the bolt.

Find out the bolt size and thread pitch. Every possible bolt is available somewhere online. YT doesn't forge their own, and from what I've seen uses off the shelf sizes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.034272
Mobile Version of Website