YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 22:04 Quote
Quite frankly, there's only one way to find out. Install it, and ride off the roof of your house. If the frame isn't destroyed, then it clears. Or, just install the shock without the coil and compress it all the way manually to avoid contact between the frame and shock. It will either clear or not.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
General Question for the group...

I have my kids on a couple of YT Capra Shred's and need to replace headsets. Does anyone know what size headset I would need to order for this application ?

Thanks in advance..

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Diglerz wrote:

I have my kids on a couple of YT Capra Shred's and need to replace headsets. Does anyone know what size headset I would need to order for this application ?

Thanks in advance..

Just curious - what conditions in SoCal caused the stock headsets to fail?

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
Diglerz wrote:

Thanks in advance..

ZS44/ZS56 is what you need. Get a Cane Creek or just about anything other than Acros

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/cane-creek-40-zs44-28-6-zs56-40-tapered-headset-tapered-steerer-black

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 13:34 Quote
suspended-flesh wrote:
Diglerz wrote:

Thanks in advance..

Hi,

No idea for sure... I noticed a little play in the headset that I couldn't eliminate with normal tightening, when I pulled forks to send out for rebuild last week I noticed the top cap is actually a synthetic material and had worn oddly. Thinking maybe that's where the play was coming from I'm looking to replace/upgrade headset..

Agree there shouldn't be anything about the local riding area that's overly taxing on these components.. My kids are apparently just tough on them, one of them is 90lbs and somehow blew out the fork seals and rear shocks seals on a bike that's just over 6 months old. How is that even possible at 90 lbs... Blank Stare

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
mtb-wyatt wrote:
Diglerz wrote:

Thanks in advance..

ZS44/ZS56 is what you need. Get a Cane Creek or just about anything other than Acros

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/cane-creek-40-zs44-28-6-zs56-40-tapered-headset-tapered-steerer-black

Thanks, That's what I suspected however I was unable to really find anything online to back that up..!

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
Diglerz wrote:
suspended-flesh wrote:
Diglerz wrote:

Thanks in advance..

Hi,

No idea for sure... I noticed a little play in the headset that I couldn't eliminate with normal tightening, when I pulled forks to send out for rebuild last week I noticed the top cap is actually a synthetic material and had worn oddly. Thinking maybe that's where the play was coming from I'm looking to replace/upgrade headset..

Agree there shouldn't be anything about the local riding area that's overly taxing on these components.. My kids are apparently just tough on them, one of them is 90lbs and somehow blew out the fork seals and rear shocks seals on a bike that's just over 6 months old. How is that even possible at 90 lbs... Blank Stare

Some blow by of shock fluid can be expected on a new shock/fork. I highly doubt they are blowing up fork seals and headsets within 6 months of purchasing the bike. It's most likely just a mechanical issue that needs an apt mechanic to diagnose the problem.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 17:50 Quote
code26 wrote:
Diglerz wrote:
suspended-flesh wrote:

Hi,

Some blow by of shock fluid can be expected on a new shock/fork. I highly doubt they are blowing up fork seals and headsets within 6 months of purchasing the bike. It's most likely just a mechanical issue that needs an apt mechanic to diagnose the problem.

Appreciate the incite.. I wish it was simply "blow by", unfortunately when oil runs down the lower stanchion towards the brake/rotor and the "apt" mechanic at my LBS says the fork seal is blown, I assume that's the case..

See pic of 90lb/12 year old attached for a better understanding of how he rides his bicycle..

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 23:17 Quote
Diglerz wrote:
code26 wrote:
Diglerz wrote:

Hi,

Appreciate the incite.. I wish it was simply "blow by", unfortunately when oil runs down the lower stanchion towards the brake/rotor and the "apt" mechanic at my LBS says the fork seal is blown, I assume that's the case..

See pic of 90lb/12 year old attached for a better understanding of how he rides his bicycle..

He got like three feet of air that time.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
Diglerz wrote:
code26 wrote:
Diglerz wrote:

Hi,

Sick style by your kid!!

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
He rides like I dream, LOL

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 0:22 Quote
Hey Everyone,

I’m new to biking and I bought a 2015 YT Capra CF Pro (old, I know) and the BOS Kirk shock is going bad and starting to make squishy sounds pretty bad. Sounds like I can’t get a rebuild kit for it because they went bankrupt (according to YT) and now I’m looking for something to replace it with. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I’ve been looking into the fox X2 but it doesn’t have a lockout switch which I’d prefer if possible but it doesn’t seem like many 8.75” shocks offer that.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 1:03 Quote
Bos are still in business. But are expensive. Make your LBS check it up.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
lewlewland wrote:
Hey Everyone,

I’m new to biking and I bought a 2015 YT Capra CF Pro (old, I know) and the BOS Kirk shock is going bad and starting to make squishy sounds pretty bad. Sounds like I can’t get a rebuild kit for it because they went bankrupt (according to YT) and now I’m looking for something to replace it with. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this? I’ve been looking into the fox X2 but it doesn’t have a lockout switch which I’d prefer if possible but it doesn’t seem like many 8.75” shocks offer that.

Thanks!

Contact bos directly, I had some luck with them a couple of years back, great products, but a let down for their shitty CS and support though.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
lewlewland wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

I happen to have a 2015 CF as well (old, indeed! but still functional) and a DHX2 with a lockout (custom from Fox - there is no retail SKU for the lockout on shock length needed for a Capra) and I would say don't bother with a lockout. A. They don't really do much - the Capra is not designed to make your climbing pleasant anyway, so just suffer a bit. B. You'll forget to flip it off Firm 1/2 the time, anyway. The bike is best Open on both ends. Just put a little more effort in climbing the bike (that wasn't designed for climbing). I have ridden a Capra as my only trail bike for 6 years. Apparently that isn't possible because it doesn't have a water bottle cage. I must really like to suffer because I am still running a 42t cassette! One day I'll get a big cog out back, but year after year I can't believe the bike is still in one piece and have resisted that upgrade......

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010587
Mobile Version of Website