YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 4:37 Quote
Hi guys, I'm looking for the Capra base al 2021 with 29 inch wheels. I just want to know if I can put that to Thule Proride 591 or 598. Thanks a lot for informations. You can send photos of it too. Big Grin

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
Hard to believe this thread is now almost 2000pgs!!
I'd like to replace the bearings in my '17 Cap. Is there a universal set that can do bearing pulls and presses? For *not* $600? =/

I'm also having a bear of a time getting the second bolt out of the rocker that goes into the threaded insert between the bearings. Ugh....how frustrating. Any tips??

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 1:23 Quote
Adam0666 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for the Capra base al 2021 with 29 inch wheels. I just want to know if I can put that to Thule Proride 591 or 598. Thanks a lot for informations. You can send photos of it too. Big Grin

I'm using a proride for my 2018 capra 29 al size large. Not sure weather I have the 591 or 598. It is a bit tight to get the claw into the small space between the shock and the horizontal support beam, but it works fine. Might be a problem on smaler frames.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 6:19 Quote
chrisingrassia wrote:
Hard to believe this thread is now almost 2000pgs!!
I'd like to replace the bearings in my '17 Cap. Is there a universal set that can do bearing pulls and presses? For *not* $600? =/

I'm also having a bear of a time getting the second bolt out of the rocker that goes into the threaded insert between the bearings. Ugh....how frustrating. Any tips??

For bearing puller I picked up this for $40 from Amazon: "9pcs Blind Hole Slide Hammer Pilot Bearing Puller Internal Extractor Removal Kit BB Tool Bike Bicycle Fixed Gear for SM SunniMix"
I've used this to do 2 2018+ Capra bearing replacements (1 CF, 1 aluminum). Many of the slide hammer sets available for sale appear to be the same set just with a different label sticker for different prices.

For the bearing press, that's more expensive... You could pick up only the bearing press sizes you need from https://wheelsmfg.com/ or similar. Then fabbing up a press isn't hard. As a note for 2018+ owners make sure you have a 6804 Over Axle Adapter to press in the forward rocker arm pivot axle bearings (the large ones just below the rear shock mount bolt).

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
Yeah that's probably the best advice is to just buy the accessories I need specifically for my frame instead of a whole kit. No issues with that hammer-throw puller on carbon? That makes me nervous.
BonkmasterT wrote:
For bearing puller I picked up this for $40 from Amazon: "9pcs Blind Hole Slide Hammer Pilot Bearing Puller Internal Extractor Removal Kit BB Tool Bike Bicycle Fixed Gear for SM SunniMix"
I've used this to do 2 2018+ Capra bearing replacements (1 CF, 1 aluminum). Many of the slide hammer sets available for sale appear to be the same set just with a different label sticker for different prices.

For the bearing press, that's more expensive... You could pick up only the bearing press sizes you need from https://wheelsmfg.com/ or similar. Then fabbing up a press isn't hard. As a note for 2018+ owners make sure you have a 6804 Over Axle Adapter to press in the forward rocker arm pivot axle bearings (the large ones just below the rear shock mount bolt).

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 10:14 Quote
chrisingrassia wrote:
Yeah that's probably the best advice is to just buy the accessories I need specifically for my frame instead of a whole kit. No issues with that hammer-throw puller on carbon? That makes me nervous.

Slide hammer is pretty cringe inducing if you've never used one before. It's loud and violent feeling. I didn't have any issues with doing so on my carbon frame. It's easier with 2 people to help brace the frame of the bike when hammering the bearings out. The bearings that connect the chainstay to the seatstay where the most nervous because it is thinner carbon there, but they popped right out after properly bracing the chainstay before extraction.

The alternative is something like the Wheels Mfg sealed bearing extractor which you hammer the bearings out from the back. Either way, hammering is occurring to remove the bearings. Starting at 0:41 you can see him using the Wheels Mfg extractors to hammer out the 3 main pivot bearings: https://youtu.be/4EnoE0Su_zM

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
What on earth is the secret to getting the hex bolts out of the threaded insert in the horst link? There's gotta be a secret

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 17:58 Quote
chrisingrassia wrote:
What on earth is the secret to getting the hex bolts out of the threaded insert in the horst link? There's gotta be a secret

This one? I remember I did it once and it came off that easily, but I tried it a second time later and it wouldn't budge.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 19:31 Quote
Naw, these mother f'ers
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/13335001/
Both outer bolts have blue loctite so you are only able to break one side free and then there's no way to release the second bolt since the insert that both bolts thread into spins freely inside the link between both bearings. What an impossible mechanical design. What idiot engineer signed off on this?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 4:40 Quote
No idea about those. Might be worth taking it to a shop to get them to do it if you can't figure it out, even if it does cost you a bit of money.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
I ain't no quitter!!
But the principle behind a free-moving thread insert stuck between two bearings sure is awfully dumb. Especially with loctite on the bolts. Ugghhh.
I thought for sure there must be some Capra guys in here who wrench on their own stuff. But maybe not?

watch123 wrote:
No idea about those. Might be worth taking it to a shop to get them to do it if you can't figure it out, even if it does cost you a bit of money.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
chrisingrassia wrote:
I ain't no quitter!!
But the principle behind a free-moving thread insert stuck between two bearings sure is awfully dumb. Especially with loctite on the bolts. Ugghhh.
I thought for sure there must be some Capra guys in here who wrench on their own stuff. But maybe not?

I had luck contacting YT when I had a question about the rocker arm pivot axle removal. They were helpful in explaining how to remove it (hammer out with a mallet, then bearing puller on the bearing which remains in the frame).

Good luck.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
I did use their site yesterday to contact them. No response yet.
"Hammer out" what?
Bearing remain in the frame? I think we're talking about different things here. No frame issue, I'm talking about the bolts in the metal rocker arm.

BonkmasterT wrote:
I had luck contacting YT when I had a question about the rocker arm pivot axle removal. They were helpful in explaining how to remove it (hammer out with a mallet, then bearing puller on the bearing which remains in the frame).
Good luck.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
Still no response from YT on my inquiry about the rockerarm bolts. There's really not a single other Capra owner here who has changed their own bearings and had trouble with these?

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
So I did a bit more digging today, and came across this video. This is is where he talks about what I think is your linkage. There seems to be a comment asking about that particular bearing as well. There's a second video as a follow up to that one, but it doesn't seem overly relevant for you.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017668
Mobile Version of Website