YT Capra Owners

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
Hey guys, I have an issue with the ricker arm bearing housing on my yt capra 2018 CF, I'm having the bearings replaced and on the right side rocker arm the bearing is able to move around freely and fall out, I've contacted yt in the uk(where I'm based) and also germany and both tell me I cant buy the part individually I need to go through the crash replacement policy they have, problem us I'm not the original owner and I dont have any way of getting the receipt as I've bought it second hand from a bike shop, there is no way of getting the receipt so with out this I cant fix/order the new part. Has anyone had this issue or does any one know ways of solving this issue, cant ride my bike unless it's fixed. Yt are not being one bit helpful, actually useless.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 0:26 Quote
garrett53 wrote:
Hey guys, I have an issue with the ricker arm bearing housing on my yt capra 2018 CF, I'm having the bearings replaced and on the right side rocker arm the bearing is able to move around freely and fall out, I've contacted yt in the uk(where I'm based) and also germany and both tell me I cant buy the part individually I need to go through the crash replacement policy they have, problem us I'm not the original owner and I dont have any way of getting the receipt as I've bought it second hand from a bike shop, there is no way of getting the receipt so with out this I cant fix/order the new part. Has anyone had this issue or does any one know ways of solving this issue, cant ride my bike unless it's fixed. Yt are not being one bit helpful, actually useless.

They won't let you just buy it?

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 5:52 Quote
garrett53 wrote:

I don't work for YT or anything, but I've replaced parts on bikes for years. In nearly every circumstance you can either pay the original company for a unique part or find the exact part you need online by using the bike parts list and just searching the internet for the bearing, etc.

A quick look at the YT site led me to a shop where you can directly buy the bearings for a 2018 YT Capra:
https://www.yt-industries.com/products/parts/capra/mk2-2018-2021/221/frame-bearing-set-capra-mk2/

I am not saying that this is the set of bearing you need, I'm merely illustrating that the parts may be easily available.

And here is the link to the YT bike manuals and drawings which you may find helpful to get a part number and do your own searching:
https://www.yt-industries.com/service/downloads/

LASTLY: look at the part you need and maybe it has a part number stamped or printed on it - you can also search the internet for your piece by using that code.

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 18:45 Quote
tibbss188 wrote:
Hey all! Was wondering if anybody has had experience taking the clear tape on the down tube off to expose the YT logo? Looking to do so so I can put a custom colored sticker there and then replace the tape with a fresh layer. I hope this makes sense, lol!
Thanks in advance!!

Yes, remove it just like a sticker..

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2022 at 21:31 Quote
Hi all,

I am considering selling my ‘18 CF Pro 27.5 so I can buy a 29” trail or all mountain bike. I wasn’t a believer in 29 until I got one and I love it. My question is if I cant find a buyer, can I opt for a 29 fork and new front wheel? What will be affected? HTA, STA, BBH,
Has anyone made a mullet bike? Is there recommend fork? I have fox all around but open to consider Cane Creek MRP Manitou etc. what is a good trail offset? What are other aspects I should consider.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

Posted: Feb 13, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
My 2015 Capra CF is still working fine. That is all.

Posted: Feb 13, 2022 at 13:42 Quote
steveperry wrote:
Hi all,

I am considering selling my ‘18 CF Pro 27.5 so I can buy a 29” trail or all mountain bike. I wasn’t a believer in 29 until I got one and I love it. My question is if I cant find a buyer, can I opt for a 29 fork and new front wheel? What will be affected? HTA, STA, BBH,
Has anyone made a mullet bike? Is there recommend fork? I have fox all around but open to consider Cane Creek MRP Manitou etc. what is a good trail offset? What are other aspects I should consider.

Thanks for the help.
Steve

It's been done before, but a quick search doesn't reveal much (to my frustration). But since the geo was unchanged until the most recent release, any 27.5 frame since 2018 is the same.

TLDR: Look around more, I'm sure you'll find something

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
Apologies first off, not at all familiar on YT's. I'm looking to see if a 2019 Capra 27.5 (Mk.2?) with 170mm F&R can be converted to mullet or even full 29. Thanks!

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:
Apologies first off, not at all familiar on YT's. I'm looking to see if a 2019 Capra 27.5 (Mk.2?) with 170mm F&R can be converted to mullet or even full 29. Thanks!

That's what the comment above asked (different year, but same generation/geo), maybe see if he has any updates?

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 14:54 Quote
Not a Capra owner but answer should be similar for most any bike modifications…take a 27.5 bike and add a 29 fork of equal length/offset, geo wont change. Once a larger front wheel is added the effective HTA and STA slacken slightly. I’d go Manitou, DVO, or other fact adjustable fork to play with travel to get it where you want it.

I’ve done mullet on Jeffsy 29 and Izzo, geo change IMO is no different than flipping the chip…

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 18:29 Quote
I am not great in the overal effect on the change in geo, I know it will be slight. But the bike cannot be converted to a full 29”. The rear stays are not long enough to accommodate the change. Not sure if YT will sell the backend or not to cover to a 29” rear.
You will need a new or 29” specific fork. I think @undescended is spot on with the fork recommendation and is what I will look to do if I can’t sell my 2018. I like the MRP personally. Both MRP and CC Helm have a very similar process to change the travel. I have looked at the process for DVO, but I have had a topaz in the past and loved it. Used a tenth of the adjustability.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2022 at 14:40 Quote
Venturebikes wrote:

I did the mullet conversion with my 2019 Capra 27.5. Put a new zeb 29er 170mm fork on with a 29er wheel. Feels really nice overall, adds a lot of stability and gives it a much more aggressive feel. Also was concerned that there would be a big hit to climbing but it’s not actually very noticeable. Worth it IMO

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
Hey guys,

Currently running my 2019 Capra AL 29 LTD in mullet w/ a 27.5 rear and flip chip in high mode. Feels super good while riding the bike park, but I definitely notice pedal strikes when riding local trails.

Getting a ton of headset creak on big landings, and from what I've read the Acros headset can't simply have the bearings replaced due to the way they press them in at the factory.

Did a bit of reading and I'm thinking about getting the Cane Creek Angleset w/ ZS44 upper and EC56 lower cups (stock would be ZS56). This would increase my A2C length a little and maybe lift the BB a tiny bit. I'm also toying w/ the idea of also getting the reverse components angle spacer to even further increase the A2C length. I think it would be about a ~20mm increase overall. Given the mullet and the increased A2C, I'd probably only run the 0.5 degree or the 1.0 degree angle set, but it's nice that you can sort of try them all out from 0.5 to 1.5 without getting a whole new headset.

I also need to check my steerer length to see if it's even possible to run both the EC56 lower and the reverse angle spacer.

If I don't have enough space to do both, my options would be get the Cane Creek Angleset w/ EC56 lower only. Or get a Cane Creek Hellbender 70 normal headset ZS44/ZS56 with the reverse angle spacer.

What do you guys think?

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 12:00 Quote
I just installed the wolftooth -1° angle adjust headset on my 2018 capra 29 al base. I may have different goals in mind though. Last year i went from 160mm travel up to 170mm. What i didnt like about that was how the seat tube angle got slacker. It was something i noticed on steeper sustained climbs.

This year I wanted to go with an angle adjust headset so i could get a steeper seat tube and keep it slack up front. I almost went with the cane creek for the same reason. Try different angles with just a single purchase. However, the Cane Creek angle adjust headset has the external cup as you mentioned. It would basically negate the steeper seat tube. The Wolftooth angleset has zerostack cups on the bottom. The -1° that i got is zero stack upper as well. However, i think the -2° is an external cup upper.

Unfortunately i havent been able to take it for a proper ride. Riding around the neighborhood I can certainly feel the difference in seat tube angle.

Heres a summary of my changes:
2018 Capra 29 AL Base
Stock (low):
Hta - 65.5°
Sta - 76°
Reach - 465mm

170mm fork (low):
Hta - 65°
Sta - 75.5°
Reach - 460mm

170mm + wolftooth angle adjust (high):
Hta - 64.5°
Sta - 76.2°
Reach - 459mm

The last set of numbers came from bike-stats.de.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
Also, you wouldnt be changing the A2C. All of the changes happen above the crown. Youd be adjust the height of the headtube.

Also, I forgot youre going to stick with the 27.5 out back. If youre not concerned with seat tube angle, id go with the cane creak. The wolftooth angleset would lower your bb a bit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018401
Mobile Version of Website