YT Capra Owners

Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 9:46 Quote
parkmeister wrote:
welp, this happened last weekend. Cry Cry Cry

DAAYYYAAMM!

Did somebody back into your car or did you get rear ended or what?

Glancing at it...the frame looks okay. How about the fork? What's the real deal?

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 18:39 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
parkmeister wrote:

DAAYYYAAMM!

Did somebody back into your car or did you get rear ended or what?

Glancing at it...the frame looks okay. How about the fork? What's the real deal?

Yeah we need the full story here! Looking at the quick release of the fork I am guessing the lower is cracked right there. In an insurance claim i think this would for sure be totaled out. Honestly rack and car might be totaled too. . .

Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 21:31 Quote
notsosikmik wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:

DAAYYYAAMM!...

...What's the real deal?

Yeah we need the full story here! Looking at the quick release of the fork I am guessing the lower is cracked right there. In an insurance claim i think this would for sure be totaled out. Honestly rack and car might be totaled too. . .

In a nutshell: I am a f*cking dumbshit, this was a single vehicle incident, I was NOT rear-ended. Yup.

Driving up to Tahoe last Sunday and looking forward to riding Armstrong Pass, Armstrong Connector, and Corral for the first time this season, I was motoring up the hill with much "enthusiasm and vigor". More so than usual, actually. So when the uphill high speed sweeper leveled off, my suspension unweighted just enough for the tires to lose grip and send me skidding sideways down the road while watching on coming traffic whiz by on the other side of the double yellow. Yikes!!! The car continued skidding and yawing to the left until I was bassackwards and eventually slammed into the armco. So yes, I am King of the Dipshits. And actually quite lucky that I didn't hit another vehicle or depart from the roadway. And while the car is prolly totaled on paper, the damage is relatively minor and I was able to drive home without further incident.

On closer inspection of the bike, I lucked out even more. The frame and fork, as well as most of the bike appears undamaged. The front wheel is toast (although I may be able to salvage the hub), the rear disc is a write off, as is the snapped derailleur hanger and RH crank and RH pedal. But that's it. I really got lucky cuz things could have turned out so much worse. Whew!

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 23:55 Quote
Shit happens dude and I think you are definitely in the right mindset to be looking at the bright side. Cars and bikes can be replaced, walking away from something that scary is something to be grateful for.

Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
parkmeister wrote:
notsosikmik wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:

DAAYYYAAMM!...

...What's the real deal?

In a nutshell: I am a f*cking dumbshit, this was a single vehicle incident, I was NOT rear-ended. Yup….. I really got lucky cuz things could have turned out so much worse. Whew!
Great story- glad nobody got hurt! That the bike fared so well is awesome- I’d share the story with YT and maybe they’d get a kick out of it - possibly throw a part or some merch your way.
Also I learned what an “Armco” is - never knew the name of the barrier before.
Thanks

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 19:59 Quote
Looking for suggestions:

So I had a 2018 carbon YT Capra and now I am Saving for a new bike or 2 bikes. The Capra did not climb well and was too heavy for that but was amazing downhill and at parks.

I can’t decide to get a less travel all mountain bike and just rent at bike parks or get a true xc bike and a downhill bike.

I’d love suggestions. I’ve been looking at a ton of different bikes but am steering away from the Jeffsy now.

Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 20:18 Quote
MTB3242 wrote:
Looking for suggestions:

So I had a 2018 carbon YT Capra and now I am Saving for a new bike or 2 bikes. The Capra did not climb well and was too heavy for that but was amazing downhill and at parks.

I can’t decide to get a less travel all mountain bike and just rent at bike parks or get a true xc bike and a downhill bike.

I’d love suggestions. I’ve been looking at a ton of different bikes but am steering away from the Jeffsy now.
Well, the newer capra, mk3, is a pretty good climber for what it is. That's only based on the reviews I've seen. Being that this is a capra forum, I'm going to suggest you get a capra.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2022 at 20:31 Quote
parkmeister wrote:
notsosikmik wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:

DAAYYYAAMM!...

...What's the real deal?

In a nutshell: I am a f*cking dumbshit, this was a single vehicle incident, I was NOT rear-ended. Yup.

Driving up to Tahoe last Sunday and looking forward to riding Armstrong Pass, Armstrong Connector, and Corral for the first time this season, I was motoring up the hill with much "enthusiasm and vigor". More so than usual, actually. So when the uphill high speed sweeper leveled off, my suspension unweighted just enough for the tires to lose grip and send me skidding sideways down the road while watching on coming traffic whiz by on the other side of the double yellow. Yikes!!! The car continued skidding and yawing to the left until I was bassackwards and eventually slammed into the armco. So yes, I am King of the Dipshits. And actually quite lucky that I didn't hit another vehicle or depart from the roadway. And while the car is prolly totaled on paper, the damage is relatively minor and I was able to drive home without further incident.

On closer inspection of the bike, I lucked out even more. The frame and fork, as well as most of the bike appears undamaged. The front wheel is toast (although I may be able to salvage the hub), the rear disc is a write off, as is the snapped derailleur hanger and RH crank and RH pedal. But that's it. I really got lucky cuz things could have turned out so much worse. Whew!

Running on bald tires?

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 5:11 Quote
MTB3242 wrote:
Looking for suggestions:

I’ve got a Izzo (high mode with Trail tires) and a Enduro (low mode with DH tires) as I can’t really go into pure xc mode anymore. If the new Capra MX had been available sooner I would have that instead of the Enduro tbh.

Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 6:51 Quote
Thanks for feedback. I was on 27.5 and did like the playfulness by wondering if changes to get and bring 29 and somewhat lighter would be enough improvement on climbing to be my all mountain type bike. I would not need to rent a downhill bike then. But I could get a Tuesday used for downhill only and a bike with 130-140mm travel for trails and still be able to jump it some.

Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 22:21 Quote
MTB3242 wrote:
Looking for suggestions:

Since this is the Capra forum, maybe you should explore other forums before people start saying things like "maybe YOU didn't climb well" and "WTF did you expect climbing a Capra?" DH bikes are usually an underused pain in the ass unless you can really justify one by being a serious traveling DH racer or freerider and/or live near a park/resort. I sold my TUES a couple months ago (and that still hurts but it was underused and I needed cash) and I still race all the DH/DS/End on my ancient Capra CF just fine. My only suggestion is that you should have kept the Capra and set it up DH (you can run a DC fork on the carbon models BTW) and got a weanie-weight trail climber to go with it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2022 at 22:25 Quote
parkmeister wrote:

photo

Oh man - that sucks but glad you made it through relatively unscathed. Where on the trip to Tahoe did that happen?

Posted: Oct 16, 2022 at 16:00 Quote
I’m new to forums and started here to ask questions from others that have or have capras. So sorry to ask about anything besides a Capra lol ….in a mountain bike community forum….

Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 6:14 Quote
MTB3242 wrote:
I’m new to forums and started here to ask questions from others that have or have capras. So sorry to ask about anything besides a Capra lol ….in a mountain bike community forum….

I don't think it was that bad of a welcome, but if you ask about suggestions about alternatives to a particular bike on that bikes thread, selection bias will come into play, with people not having as broad suggestions as a more general thread.

I didn't weight in as I've basically only ridden the Capra (2018, 27.5, MK2 I believe) and the Norco Range (which is utterly awful going uphill).

To that end, I can't really find a more general thread for that sort of question, maybe try posting in the Show us your AM bike one, or the mechanics quick question one

Posted: Oct 17, 2022 at 7:23 Quote
MTB3242 wrote:
Looking for suggestions:

Get 2 bikes.

If you only go to the park a few times a year then consider getting a used DH bike for a lot less than new.

Put the most money where you spend the most time. I ride XC most of the time so I am always tinkering or upgrading my lighter bike. I go to the park maybe 3 times a year - I maintain an old DH bike just for that occasion.

Good luck.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017747
Mobile Version of Website