Powered by Outside

YT Capra Owners

| Next Page
Posted: May 4, 2024 at 8:31 Quote
anyone else hear a creak in the headset area when pedaling under load?

Posted: May 9, 2024 at 7:33 Quote
Whats the general consensus on flip chip position? Everyone just keeping them in high?

Whats your opinion?

O+
Posted: May 9, 2024 at 9:00 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
anyone else hear a creak in the headset area when pedaling under load?
For me it's the pivot hardware. IMO headset creaks are pretty easy to sus out, by tightening and re-greasing, but I must say that the stock headset in my Core 1 was complete crap that I swapped out immediately. The rocker and main pivot on mine need disassembling, cleaning, greasing, tightening every 6 months or so, or they make noise.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2024 at 9:23 Quote
dalbone71 wrote:
Whats the general consensus on flip chip position? Everyone just keeping them in high?

Whats your opinion?

I keep my MX in low always

Posted: May 10, 2024 at 3:37 Quote
clarky999 wrote:
Has anyone mulleted the current gen Capra 29er?

I have a Core 3 and would like to make the back end feel a bit shorter and more agile. Sounds like YT don't/won't sell the actual MX rear triangle, but is there any reason I can't just buy a new rear wheel and slide it on? Do I need to buy a new cassette and brake disc etc too? Will the bb height be too low, even in the high position? Sorry, kinda clueless as to what too low may be.

Edit: also, any ad/disadvantages to mulleting the 29er compared to the ‘native’ MX?

I am thinking exactly the same! I have Capra MK3 29er and would be interested in making it mullet. I am too lazy to do all calculations but with the flip-chip in high positions I hope it should be quite fine.

Does really nobody has personal experience with this?

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 4:57 Quote
funkysh wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I have a Core 3 and would like to make the back end feel a bit shorter and more agile. Sounds like YT don't/won't sell the actual MX rear triangle, but is there any reason I can't just buy a new rear wheel and slide it on? Do I need to buy a new cassette and brake disc etc too? Will the bb height be too low, even in the high position? Sorry, kinda clueless as to what too low may be.

Edit: also, any ad/disadvantages to mulleting the 29er compared to the ‘native’ MX?

I am thinking exactly the same! I have Capra MK3 29er and would be interested in making it mullet. I am too lazy to do all calculations but with the flip-chip in high positions I hope it should be quite fine.

I did it on a different bike with a similar 5mm or so bb height adjustment. In high with the 27.5 rear wheel it was rideable but in my area pedal strikes are common so I had to be more conscious of timing things.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2024 at 15:43 Quote
funkysh wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I did it with my old MK2 Capra, which has a slightly higher bb than the mK3, but the difference is pretty small. I loved it as a park bike, but it definitely didn’t peddle as well (mainly do to the seat angle change).

Edit: Now that I look at the geo difference between mK2 and 3, it might not be a good idea unless you’re okay with a very low, very slack bike. There’s a full degree difference on the head tube angle and 10mm difference in bb height in the high position between the 2 generations.

Posted: Jun 6, 2024 at 8:35 Quote
Finally resolved my creaking issue. It's amazing how hard it was to pin point. my 23 capra had been creaking the last few months and during a shuttle event I asked one of the bike mechanics to take it for a spin to see what he thinks. First he said to ditch my carbon cranks, but said to start with cleaning/greasing all the pivots. In another conversation before all this he mentioned how shitty acros head sets are. So first I cleaned/greased and torqued all the pivots. No change. Next I put some GX cranks on it. No change. Then I put a Hellbender headset in and bingo creaks gone. Surprising it was the headset because it really sounded like it was coming from the rear shock area. Which I had taken the cups out of the shock prior to all this for cleaning. Now that I think about it more the creak had been there almost since the bike was new. As I had suspicion it was the rear air shock which I sent it to be inspected by fox and they found nothing.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
yotaismygame wrote:
Finally resolved my creaking issue. It's amazing how hard it was to pin point. my 23 capra had been creaking the last few months and during a shuttle event I asked one of the bike mechanics to take it for a spin to see what he thinks. First he said to ditch my carbon cranks, but said to start with cleaning/greasing all the pivots. In another conversation before all this he mentioned how shitty acros head sets are. So first I cleaned/greased and torqued all the pivots. No change. Next I put some GX cranks on it. No change. Then I put a Hellbender headset in and bingo creaks gone. Surprising it was the headset because it really sounded like it was coming from the rear shock area. Which I had taken the cups out of the shock prior to all this for cleaning. Now that I think about it more the creak had been there almost since the bike was new. As I had suspicion it was the rear air shock which I sent it to be inspected by fox and they found nothing.

Question: did it creak all the time or just when pushing the pedals? I have an intermittent creak on my ancient MKII CF. I am running the ORIGINAL 2015 Acros headset and have beat the crap out of the poor bike! LOL. Checked pretty much everything else.

O+
Posted: 2 days ago Quote
suspended-flesh wrote:
yotaismygame wrote:

Question: did it creak all the time or just when pushing the pedals? I have an intermittent creak on my ancient MKII CF. I am running the ORIGINAL 2015 Acros headset and have beat the crap out of the poor bike! LOL. Checked pretty much everything else.

Every YT I have owned (Tues, Izzo and a Capra) have all needed the lower headset to be replaced early because of creaking. I usually buy a Cane Creek lower headset and fork crown race to go with it. For a 2015 I would replace the upper and lower and crown race.

suspended-flesh wrote:
yotaismygame wrote:

Mainly on the uphill and worse when the rear shock was locked out

somebody-else wrote:
suspended-flesh wrote:
yotaismygame wrote:

Every YT I have owned (Tues, Izzo and a Capra) have all needed the lower headset to be replaced early because of creaking. I usually buy a Cane Creek lower headset and fork crown race to go with it. For a 2015 I would replace the upper and lower and crown race.

I replaced all of it as well. I think it was the lower causing issues. Crazy how long the acros didnt last.

Thanks all. I've always put it off because i cannot locate a reliable source for the exact headset spec I'd need. The kids at YT Mill don't seem to know anything about bikes prior to 2018.I bought mine from Cam and Howie Zink in Reno. I have been advised to email the folks in Germany but never got around to it.

O+
suspended-flesh wrote:
Thanks all. I've always put it off because i cannot locate a reliable source for the exact headset spec I'd need. The kids at YT Mill don't seem to know anything about bikes prior to 2018.I bought mine from Cam and Howie Zink in Reno. I have been advised to email the folks in Gernany but never got around to it.

https://acros-components.com/en/yt-industries

somebody-else wrote:
suspended-flesh wrote:
Thanks all. I've always put it off because i cannot locate a reliable source for the exact headset spec I'd need. The kids at YT Mill don't seem to know anything about bikes prior to 2018.I bought mine from Cam and Howie Zink in Reno. I have been advised to email the folks in Gernany but never got around to it.

https://acros-components.com/en/yt-industries

Thank you!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015653
Mobile Version of Website