Aberdeen - is it good for XC and road?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Aberdeen - is it good for XC and road?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 10:59 Quote
Could you tell me if Aberdeen is a good place to live in and train cycling? Are there any good trails in the very close neighbourhood?

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
well there are loads of roads, and loads of forestry tracks, not so much jumps, but loads of DH 2

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 8:46 Quote
well, in aberdeen there it is quite congested for any recreational cycling. however, aberdeen is relatively small and within 15km of the city centre there is a lot of quiet country roads and some scenic roads.
there is a lot of cross-country around aberdeenshire. Pitfichie forest (25km from aberdeen) is very good. kirkhill (10km from aberdeen) is great too. pretty much all the hills surrounding aberdeen have some form of trail to ride and some of the quiet ones are great to relax on whilst riding.

hope that helps, and an early welcome to scotland Big Grin

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
thank you, I hope one day we will meet and you will show me local trails. I am going to be there since August, but I am really looking forward to riding there.

I hope I will be able to stand your weather Smile ... or it is just a myth about those rains all the time ? Smile

Posted: Jan 17, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
oh no it rains pretty much all the time in winter, summer isnt too bad but still rains regularly. yeah p.m me when you get here, we'll have an xc ride, i'll show u the decent stuff.
so are you coming to live here?

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 6:29 Quote
I am going to study there ... of course if I will be admitted Smile Is RGU regarded as a good uni by Scots?

Posted: Jan 18, 2008 at 8:00 Quote
well yeah, my sister went there and found it to be very good - lots of gym facilities, decent lecturers and the whole complex is relatively new.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 10:55 Quote
Do many events happen here? I mean races, marathons, are there any serious amatour cycling groups training regularly?

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 11:08 Quote
there isnt a lot of news about events near aberdeen for xc, there is a lot of road groups you can get to ride with, many training seriously. most events are downhill though.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 12:16 Quote
I am wondering if it's better to take a bike from Poland, or buy in Abe, but still have plenty of time, what about Cyclocross ? Is it more popular than XC? Could you tell me if AlpineBikes is the only shop in Abe having a website with an online offer? I have found out, that the cheapest bikes in offer are more expensive (comparing components) in UK but the best models cost half of the Polish price.

BTW: Thanks for replying instantly Smile

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
jacako wrote:
I am wondering if it's better to take a bike from Poland, or buy in Abe, but still have plenty of time, what about Cyclocross ? Is it more popular than XC? Could you tell me if AlpineBikes is the only shop in Abe having a website with an online offer? I have found out, that the cheapest bikes in offer are more expensive (comparing components) in UK but the best models cost half of the Polish price.

BTW: Thanks for replying instantly Smile

its alrite, i like helping. aberdeen has 3 bike shops; 2 alpine bikes and an edinburgh cycles. both have sales throughout the year. im not sure on polish prices, but if u like your bike, take it over.

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 14:05 Quote
If you could get into a group it would be cool, its always fun having more riders, I always see alot of xcers in groups, its pretty common.

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 12:22 Quote
Hi again Smile Could you tell me if it is legal to cycle on any paths wherever I want ? I see there are many trails for bikers, but I want to be sure, that I won't break the law accidentally, biking in a forest.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
Yes pretty much everywhere is legal to ride your bike. There is no trespassing laws and the countryside runs the rules of the outdoor access code (google it) and if you abide by those rules you can ride anywhere. when you moving?

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 5:46 Quote
RGU has been really good from my experience. Garthdee is a really nice campus to study on.

They have their own XC and DH mtb club so you will be ok. They go out most weekend and also race in BUSA and local series.

You'll be fine. You will meet them at the fresher's fair that is held on the 1st week of the semester. Smile

Don't be too worried aout rain, Aberdeen is often the driest part of the UK.....still rains a lot though lol

Martin

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014373
Mobile Version of Website